Do you Own a Gun?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Namaste Jesus, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Actually Dan is way under the norm. The average gun owner in America owns 8 guns. Double the number of guns the average American owned in the 1990s.

Gun owners have doubled the number of firearms they own in the past two decades, says the Washington Post. The average gun-owning household now owns an estimated 8.1 guns, compared with 4.1 guns in 1994.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

thx Obama...

I grew up in a hunting household....deer, birds... after my uncle was shot in a hunting accident my dad put down my guns and gave them to me... I hunted plenty....don't anymore... own my guns... self defense? That is laughable. I'd be inclined if I was in a war area... I live between DC and Baltimore... Only not safe if you have issues with statistics.

3. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised by it, I just don't "get it".

4. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

It's just the, "Might Makes Right" mentality here. I know when I moved to the semi rural area I live now, we had sort of a neighborhood get together. The topic of guns came up and several of my new neighbors asked what kind of gun I owned. Not if I owned one, but what type. Upon learning I had no guns, other than the old shotgun I inherited, they took that to mean I was in the market and told me they knew where I could get a good deal.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  5. A Cup Of Tea

Well, they were helpful!

6. Senthil

Senthil Active Member

Those kinds of false thinking assumptions happen all the time, not just to do with guns.
    "What kind of beer will you have?"
    "What's your favorite team?"
    "How often do you attend church?"
    "Are you Democrat or Republican?"
    "Coffee or tea?"

Some folks just need to get out more.

7. Dan0813

Dan0813 Member

We have BOTH kinds of music here. Country AND Western!

Namaste Jesus and A Cup Of Tea like this.
  8. BigJoeNobody

BigJoeNobody Professional Argument Attractor

root
    Dynamo
    I've seen one of those before.
    not really
    Do you have a coke, if not I guess Tea... Iced if possible, sweetened is also preferred

These answers will infuriate the people asking 90% of the time. :p

Senthil likes this.
  9. Senthil

Senthil Active Member

Thanks for the laugh ...

10. Namaste Jesus

You should have seen their faces when the Mandir went up.

11. Devils' Advocate

What does Obama have to do with this. Despite all the fear mongering by the conservatives that heisgoingtotakeyourguns, no such thing has happened.

12. A Cup Of Tea

It's a meme, you know everything is Obamas fault!

Devils' Advocate likes this.
  13. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Umm....err....nobody here has the authorization or voice to speak for the millions of people in their religion...

as has been repeated often here...ask a hundred priests a question about hinduism (or christianity) and you'll get a hundred different answers.

NJ was making a statement....not trolling anyone, not speaking for all of any religion or sect. (I don't think)

and yes this is interfaith, and intrafaith, and a forum about our beliefs, our thoughts, our understandings and how they affect our lives and world...

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  14. Dan0813

Dan0813 Member

Women shopping for shoes are vicious. I can certainly understand the need to be armed here.

15. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

What about the look on their faces now though? I got a kick out of seeing your neighbor proudly pointing out your Temple to his guests. I was surprised how many people actually know about the Mandir that didn't live in the immediate area. Man things sure have changed around there over the years. You should be proud mate.
    Not really, getting back on topic, just a half dozen rifles or so and an old Colt my grandfather owned. Despite the ban on large caliber handguns down here, the Colt is allowed since it was manufactured prior to 1901. Never mind the firring mechanism was replaced a few years ago with more modern components. The rifles are for the dingos. Wherever there's livestock those buggers are a problem.
    Since the big push to get guns off the street down here, some estimates say 1 in 7 Aussies now have guns. A bit misleading though, since farming families like mine with multiple fire arms throw off the curve.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  16. Devils' Advocate

People will probably be surprised by my answer since I rail against the idiotic gun crazed attitudes of too many gun owners BUT I own guns. I have for a long time, and I have several. I am a proponent of the 2nd amendment. Where I differ from most other gun owners in the country is that I don't accept all the fear mongering the NRA keeps blathering about to keep the fear alive!

1. 'They' are not coming to get your guns.

2. Reasonable legislation to enhance the safety of our citizens is not a bad thing; it is a desperately needed thing. It is not the 2nd commandment, it is the 2nd amendment. It can and should be amended within reason as technology advances. Amendments were made to be amended!

3. The 2nd amendment written over 200 years ago could never have imagined the ultra powerful guns of today. It is not denying anyone's 2nd amendment rights by restricting some guns from being owned by the public.

4. With the exception of some areas that are problematic in violence, the percentage chance of needing your gun for personal protection is minimal.

5. Loaded guns left lying around the house (because they may be needed for defense any second!) ends up killing way more innocent lives within the household than they will ever be needed for some imagined self defense percentage.

6. There was a time, a couple decades ago, when the NRA was a rational organization that believed in responsible regulation of guns that balanced the needs of the 2nd amendment with the overall safety of the public in general. That organization no longer exists. It is now run by men with huge salaries whose only purpose is to promote guns over and above any other consideration. The NRA is now but a shill for the gun and arms manufacturers. They have become, as far as I am concerned, a terrorist organization.

So why do I have guns? It isn't for self protection. I recognize that the fates are unknown and it is possible that I may at some point be in the wrong place at the wrong time and will need that gun. Statistically where I live and the life I lead makes that possibility extremely small. If I were forced to live in a more dangerous area, my opinion of that would change. But I don't. I refuse to live a life where I take a statistically tiny possibility and live my life by that.

So again why the guns? People who don't own guns may not get this; shooting at a gun range at non living targets - it is a skill like any other skill. It is a personal challenge for myself to increase my skill. There is satisfaction in becoming more skilled just as it feels to improve any skill one enjoys and wants to improve.

That's it folks.

GuruZero likes this.
  17. GuruZero

GuruZero Tim the Enchanter

No, I don't need to I have my shaft.... but joking aside YES! and I will not part with it (a shotgun) - you can only pry it out of my dead body!
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  18. Namaste Jesus

Much wisdom to be found in the Great Monty of Python...:D

GuruZero likes this.
  19. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

LOL...! My granddad had a walking stick made of petrified wood. There were 2 buttons on the handle. One released a spring loaded dagger from the foot and the other opened a secret vial at the top containing his daily shot of single malt whisky.

GuruZero likes this.
  20. Saheim

Saheim New Member

I have children. So.... of course I have a gun.