The Latest With Drumpf (Trump)

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Lux

Lux Active Member

I thought this conversation was about Trump’s travel ban.

2. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Member

I did too.

Back on topic, I think it's the terrorists that should be blamed for this mess. Not entirely Trump's fault givin the state of affairs instituted by radical Muslims who's only goal is death and destruction.

How would anyone else here deal with the problem aside from complaining and bemoaning the flak that was caused by terrorists in the first place when they bomb and kill people that had nothing to with policy and Goverment.

Strange behavior coming from leftists who touted long and loud for the past 8 years about saftey and security.

I'm under the impression the ban is temporary until better checks are in place although I'll agree that people with the proper papers and visas already issued should be allowed to cross. Just a reminder that even that still remains a privilege.

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  3. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Hmmm.... I wonder what it is that pissed those who have been radicalized off...

Any ideas?

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Member

Let me guess. The gulf wars? Israel? The arguements more than often seems to lead in those directions in general.

But nonetheless, here we are today dealing with all this.

5. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

Right. Green card holders though, are not being prevented from entering the country, only detained for further questioning in some cases. The confusion accrued the 1st day when proper procedure was unclear to border officials. That's what lead to federal court intervention.

RE: #5 and #17

“As far as green card holders moving forward, it doesn't affect them,” Priebus said on the NBC program “Meet the Press.”

Priebus added that these green card holders would be subjected to “more questioning” by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agents when they try to re-enter the United States “until a better program is put in place over the next several months.”

6. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Member

That's what I thought.

Once border officers get a more clear picture of the rules in effect, I'm thinking things should go smoother over time.

Looks like it's getting blown all out of proportion in the name of sensationalism and tabloid style journalism. ..again imo. Not too surprised and shocked to see people getting riled up over things like new policy and procedures and not paying enough attention to what's causing the problem itself in order to correct things to meet with circumstances as it's warranted and to exercise some patience and discretion as to why those policies exist.

It seems that a little understanding and common sense goes a long way in ironing out issues. One would hope I think.

7. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Lol...the EO left green card holders in the lurch for days... It has now been changed as many were detained here, and others were refused in other countries and weren't allowed on planes...

Blown out of proportion? Only detained for further questioning?

Lol...oh my the rants you would be writing if you or yours were held up...

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1

yes...we are all dealing with today's idiocy due to past idiocy...

And tomorrow and years to come we will have to deal with this idiocy...

Oh...yay.

9. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Member

It's not an individual right to cross borders into another country. That's the reality. I don't make the rules.

The options are to remain within in one's naturalized country or deal with the issues that crop up as circumstances dictate.

I travel internationally and had experienced delays. Many are not happy of course, understandable, but There's not much anyone can do. Again, blame the direct cause, not the effect by which it occurs.

10. wil

wil UNeyeR1

You pointed out the cause...american bombs crossing borders illegally

This is of our own doing...

We reap what we sow

11. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Look here is the bottom line here. Trump's ban is supposedly to make time for extreme vetting of anyone coming into the country. Do you know why he calls it extreme vetting? Because the vetting process already in place is just about, but not quite extreme. It's not like people are just being waved into the country. People from these countries already were being very carefully vetted before they were allowed in. It has been the policy for years! Just another case of overkill to make it look like the new administration is doing something.

Lux likes this.
  12. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

Trump lost his recent appeal on the Muslim ban! It is still on hiatus!

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

13. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Member

I have a suspicion that conflicts were going on over there well long before America came in on the scene.

You could probably argue the timing and nessessity of intervention into those affairs.

14. Namaste Jesus

Good luck convincing anyone of that. Shoot, a lot of people don't even know what it is they're arguing about; still voicing opposition to a Muslim ban when no such order was ever issued. It's a temporary measure and only effects citizens of 7 known countries of concern. It's not about religion.

15. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Lol, not about religion, but we will let Christians in from those countries...

Only opposition made him change his tune...Initially returning folks with green cards turned away...

Sure there were conflicts before oil and befor. American companies went in to suck up resources like we do... But our actions is what piss people off in their own lands...

16. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Uhhh, actually it was a Federal Judge who changed his mind for him by declaring it unconstitutional.

17. Namaste Jesus

Here is in part what the executive order says:

I hereby proclaim that the immigrant and nonimmigrant entry into the United States of aliens from countries referred to in section 217(a)(12) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1187(a)(12), would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and I hereby suspend entry into the United States, as immigrants and nonimmigrants, of such persons for 90 days from the date of this order (excluding those foreign nationals traveling on diplomatic visas, North Atlantic Treaty Organization visas, C-2 visas for travel to the United Nations, and G-1, G-2, G-3, and G-4 visas).

As you can see, the order applies to specific countries, not specific religions and does not affect current Green Card holders nor certain types of visas. Confusion on the part of border agents accrued at roll-out causing many to be mistakenly turned back. The list of accepted visas has since been clarified and extended.

The clause below is designed to protect persons of minority religions from persecution. Some Christians were allowed entry on that basis, but are not excluded from the general conditions of the EO.

(b) Upon the resumption of USRAP admissions, the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, is further directed to make changes, to the extent permitted by law, to prioritize refugee claims made by individuals on the basis of religious-based persecution, provided that the religion of the individual is a minority religion in the individual's country of nationality. Where necessary and appropriate, the Secretaries of State and Homeland Security shall recommend legislation to the President that would assist with such prioritization.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  18. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Yup, that was opposition

19. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

Actually, one of the families that was turned back were Syrian Christians, but they were from a Muslim country with a Syrian last name: therefore they were "Muslin"... *shakes head*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

20. Namaste Jesus

A friend of the family and his daughter got back from Turkey the night of the travel restriction roll out. They boarded the plane in Ataturk without incident and were able to pass right through immigration and customs here. Both are Turkish citizens with valid US Green Cards and yes, they are Muslim. That tells me it's more about region than religion.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017