Sermon Q&A

Discussion in 'Abrahamic Religions' started by wil, Jul 11, 2017.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Blind faith.....tell me what that means?

I have blind faith that if I drop a cup of coffee it will hit the ground... That the sun will "appear" to rise tomorrow...

What do you have blind faith in that you believe I will disparage?

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

And yes, often folks may think through anecdotal evidence prove n, but then take for granted n+1....this that leap of faith that is concerning.

3. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

It's only Thomas and I here and he already said he was more like you. Do I have to pick one of the two?

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I write and question not only for today...but tomorrow as well.

5. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Active Member

Except for some funerals and weddings - I've not sat in church in over forty years. I do study fervently but it seems I've yet to find a question (specific to Abrahamic) or an answer (this is where Thomas and I disagree) that requires anything short of faith first and belief second. Reason always gets in my way. I know that your coffee cup will fall - not because of blind faith but because of gravity. ED

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  6. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

"Jesus saith to him: Because thou hast seen me, Thomas, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and have believed" (John 20:29)

7. Thomas

This conveniently separates people into two camps. People like you, and 'the great unwashed', so yes, it does rather read somewhat sanctimonious.

You could have it both ways if you were fair to both camps, but the ample evidence of your prejudice against the latter suggests otherwise.

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I am separating people in two camps? Those that wish to explore more of what was said...and those that wish to hear the message and.get home.to the football game?

I did that? They didn't self.select?

9. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Nope, that time it fell because of.blind faith.

10. A Cup Of Tea

You made the categories. You asked if you are this or that. There could not be more than two categories? And the description of the categories are as neutral and descriptive as they could be. "sit and be told what to think" could be a positive and not a negative from your position?

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I understand that level of concern clearly.

I'd like to say it another way.... But if one pontificates, preaches from the pulpit... And you simply nod week after week and then get upnand go back to your daily business....what would you call it?

Preaching to the choir?

A Cup Of Tea likes this.
  12. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Active Member

Now come on Wil...what was really in that cup? You have never struck me as the "blind" faith sort. Y'all make stump hole liquor up yonder? ;)

13. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Active Member

blind faith. noun. belief without true understanding, perception, or discrimination... Well based on this definition maybe all faith is blind.:rolleyes:

14. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

My cup runneth ovah and it pithith the those in the masses off.

15. Thomas

Dunno. I don't spend that much time on it.

What do you call Unity people who sit in that category?

16. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

The church social types... They come out of habit, to do the Sunday thang, visit with friends over coffee and snacks... But I see your point....some all they need is the sermon and choir....

17. Thomas

What about those who listen, who question in their own way, and don't join your debate?

Those who ponder, meditate, contemplate, pray? Those who seek answers under their own steam? Those who seek answers without recourse to the public sphere ... in short, all sorts.

Personally, I've ticked about half a dozen category boxes at various times. Sometimes questioning my parish priest, sometimes listening to the choir. Sometimes the homily, sometimes the liturgy.

C.S. Lewis had his epiphany when contemplating a 'what if' question. Reverend Kallistos Ware (Orthodox) had his when he heard an Orthodox choir singing in a church on the other side of the road! Cardinal Avery Dulles had his watching a rosebud bloom through a rain-spattered window ...

And my mum. We would talk theology until her eyes glaze, and she'd say, "This is all very well, but all that really matters is the Eucharist ... "

I'm afraid the world cannot be reduced to the easy categories you'd like.

18. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Sure it can....and it is.... Those that wish to have more than a sermon, is those interested in the discussion with the preacher...

And those that don't have the time and/or interest.

19. A Cup Of Tea

But what meaning do they have when they can be further divided into equally relevant categories? And what does this say about anything?

I can walk along the beach and draw a line in the sand at any point, but what point be? Genuin question.

20. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Well for me, the people that come early, help set up, have discussions about topics like we do here...and then those that stay after for ask the minister, help cleanup, those that are in classes, come to evening events... These are the people I know the most, communicate with the most. The ones that I greet just before service starts (or ten minutes after) and beat feet down the hallway to the door... I can't say I know them, commune with them, or have any relationship beyond seeing their faces from across the hall. So at the beach...that line in the sand is the same...