Sermon Q&A

I am sure they are getting what they want/need just as I am. But going to a church regularly where I don't find that (discussion) as an option is not an option for me. I am then of the category that reads my bible and books by myself and drives you folk crazy here.

That's quite narrow-minded, Wil. I'm surprised. We're back to 'people like me, and the rest' ... pity.
There is no other way.

We are always categorized... Always in one club or another. It is what kept us evolving, trying to be predator and not prey...categorization is necessary for survival... We hire, retain and fire by checking boxes. We eat the food we like (for taste or health reasons) and not that which we.don't like.

If I said anything else... I'd lying... I don't care that you think or believe different...but we do.

There is no other way.
You really believe that? I'm surprised at such a statement coming from you.

There is a more holistic, organic approach.

We are always categorized...
Yes we are, but that does not mean we should.

Always in one club or another.
Ah, my club, your club ... How often have I heard you rail against clubs?

It is what kept us evolving, trying to be predator and not prey... categorization is necessary for survival...
Nonsense. It's a construct. It creates neat compartments for us to objectify and box people 'not like us'. It's the root of racism, sexism, etc.

We hire, retain and fire by checking boxes.
You might ...

We eat the food we like (for taste or health reasons) and not that which we don't like.
Ha! Definitely not me. This weekend I discovered I like rhubarb ... who'd have thought, after all these years?

If I said anything else... I'd lying... I don't care that you think or believe different...but we do.
Ah, the old 'I do therefore you must' argument. It's as leaky as a sieve, old chum. It's the 'if you don't agree with me you're in denial' argument of the racist, the sexist, etc. Not like you at all. Who/what have you been mixing with?

The metta bhavana meditation is the antidote.

And the Parable of the Pharisee and the publican (Luke 8:10-14) is worth contemplation ...

I disagree you(wil) on everything. Yes division is what we do, but its all an illusion based on preconceived notions. I don't think it can be a driving force for anything constructive and it makes us forget the things we have in common.

Forgot to link to the metta meditation — an explanation can be found here

Hmmm you don't categorize? Don't choose? Amazing... You blindly picked some woman out of a crowd and got married? You didn't pick out your college, or your cars?

You just threw a dart, to pick your house, your church?

Amazing! I tell ya, this dinosaur picked his church, his house, and all his cars... I even chose my wife.... I cleverly pcked a female, and while I have black, white, male, female, gay, Asian, friends....I picked every one of them....they are in the category of people I choose to be around....plenty of folks don't fit that category.... Not before I meet them, but once we start talking and interacting... I begin xhooing the length of time I want to be around them..

Hmmm you don't categorize? Don't choose? Amazing... You blindly picked some woman out of a crowd and got married?
LOL, the woman I married didn't tick the 'category boxes' if you'd have asked me what I was looking for!

You just threw a dart, to pick your house, your church?
If you think about my responses, Wil, it's not about the choices, it's the reasoning behind them.

Amazing! ...
:eek: I'm not even gonna go there!

Hmmm you don't categorize? Don't choose? Amazing... You blindly picked some woman out of a crowd and got married? You didn't pick out your college, or your cars?
Hahaha, that is one amazing straw man!
Question: Why do you separate people into two camps?
Answer: So that I can pick one?

Hahaha, that is one amazing straw man!
Question: Why do you separate people into two camps?
Answer: So that I can pick one?
Exactly....I think we are all in denial? Are there people.you choose not to invite to a party? Are there parties you get invites to.and choose.not to go? We all put people I'm categories and make choices.

I choose to be at IO and not other sites....I preferred the discussion here over a decade ago... Just as I picked my church based on the people there and discussion there. Racist? Sexist? Yeah I picked a church that was 60% black, had women preachers in the pulpit... Did u discriminate on preachers that were willing to.discuss their sermon with the congregation and not simply preach to us...YES

And I have committed some sin how?

I also choose to goto burning man over KKK rallies because I discriminate.

Discrimination is what I do every minute off every day.... I choose who to sit next to on busses and trains....just as they choose to sit next to me or not.

What's for lunch, what.clothes.to wear...of.course my discriminations are not.the same.as yours...but thinking we don't?

Do you go.to.the church that is closest to your.house?

Hmmm you don't categorize? Don't choose?
It's not discrimination or categorisation as such I have issues with, it's the categories you choose to put put people into, viz your 'unwashed masses' of posts #9 and #10.

I'm just trying to suggest it's not quite as black and white as you present it — there's more than just 'us and them', but you seem to be entrenching yourself in that position?

Oh its totally an amalgam... But it is always us and them on any one topic....but we may be with them on another topic..

It is another game I play with Sunday school kids....us and them....yesses on this side of the room, No's on that... Are you a person of color, are you an immigrant, do you have long hair, are you female, do you like math, do you like art, do you like tomatoes.... Do you like studying religion... Do you wanna stay after church and ask more questions of the minister...

They learn that it is always us and them and we all have things we differ on, but also things we agree on...

My fav once was sunsrise or sunset.... This kid is standing in the middle... (Read in your best hillbilly) "I likem both, sunrise means hunting and fishing, and sunset means bonfire!"

Lol, thank you for accentuating my point!
so if I disagree with you on a point, logic dictates that I will agree or disagree with you on any one topic?
Isn't it enough that we just disagree on this?

What is the other option? We will always agree on some, disagree on others...

Or?
not everyone needs to have an opinion on everything. I don't know enough about the prime minister of Danmnark, I don't care enough about the Kardashians and I can see both sides to market and planed economies to prefer either one in it's purest forms.

Back