All Earthly Creatures

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by StevePame, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

2. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Maryland first state to outlaw puppy mills in the state or puppy mill pups in stores...

4. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

So what do you guys think and/or feel about Zoos?

5. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

I feel that zoos are made up of different aspects. The commercial aspect, the educational aspect, the preservation aspect and probably more.
    I'm not so much a fan of the commercial aspect, but it's hard to accomplish the other two without the first in a market diving economy.
    I don't think zoos need to be a negative force, but it's very easy to end up there.

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

In general, zoos, museums and circuses were created because only 10% of the population (unless there was a war or famine) traveled more than a hundred miles from their home...and there was no TV or youtube... the world was brought to the public, because the public couldn't get to the world.

As time went by they went from the minimalist animals pacing in cages to more natural environs...better for the animals....but lost the closeness of the cage.

number one reason to keep them....endangered species....in time they may look more like safari parks...and you may or may not find the animals...but they will be streaming videos from drones of the ones the tourists can't see from the monorails.

7. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode or maybe it was The Outer Limits; where humans were in the cages and the animals were the spectators? I always thought that put things into perspective quite nicely.

StevePame likes this.
  8. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Yup, one of those....and then of course there was the 'scared straight' programs of sending minor offenders on trips to prisons to see humans in cages...

There was another one years ago of a guy fishing...who found an apple on a rock...picked it up and started eating it, bit into the hook and was drug fighting into the river and under water.... and then the apple flew out of the water and landed near another fisherman...

9. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Ethical zoos are (unfortunately) a "necessary evil" because humans infringe on rare/endangered species' territories, plus human activity reduce the self-same territory. Ethical zoos will use their profits to buy food for the residents while making sure the residents can keep their respective species alive.

Then there are the antithetical "zoos" that have the animals suffer while the "zoo"'s owners reap the monetary benefits that would ordinarily go toward the care of the animals. Sometimes the "owners" do things that endanger the animals and/or humans trying to help the animals (the incident in Ohio springs to mind.)

"What incident?" you ask?

Authorities were called to round up the menagerie kept by a waste of a good evening of adult entertainment after he let the animals out, then killed himself. Several of the animals ended up killed because the authorities didn't know what they were up against and they didn't have the proper doses of tranquilizers/the animals kept going after the people trying to help them even after they were hit by the tranquilizers. The guy wasn't even allowed to have domesticated animals due to animal cruelty convictions on file! Hell, even Jack Hanna spoke up about the incident at the time.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

10. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

11. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

American Airlines is the latest airline to restrict "emotional support animals" to legitimate species (no goats, monkeys, hedgehogs, pigs, birds, reptiles, insects, etc.) due to people trying to pass their pets off as service animals.

I'm all for this ban due to a$$hats bringing pets onto planes that would be better off staying home/not going to a place they might be quarantined for longer than the human/s vacation, not to mention legitimate service animals, emotional or otherwise, have undergone training that mere pets don't, alleviating the crew and other passengers from possible problems brought about by anxious animals.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

What about snails?

The author Patricia Highsmith used to take a purse full of her pet snails to dinner parties – she lived with around 300 of the little darlings.

13. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Banned as support animals, plus some people would consider them snacks (escargot.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

14. wil

wil UNeyeR1

All my support animals are human

15. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  16. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Finn's Law failed to get passed through the House of Commons.

Who is Finn, you might ask? (Apologies, Phyllis, but I think this will resonate)

Finn was the police dog that jumped between his handler and a suspect who turned and attacked him with a knife.

When I heard Dave Wardell describe the incident on the radio, he said, "I looked down and saw the largest knife I have ever seen on the street, sticking out of the chest of my best friend."

Read more here, or on the Finns Law site.

Long story short, the man who attacked Dave Wardell was found guilty of assault on a police officer, but the multiple stab wounds to the dog were classed as 'criminal damage'.

"This (criminal damage) is currently one of the available charges for someone who seriously injures or kills a police or service animal in the line of duty, as they are considered as being property. I hope you agree that is not acceptable, Finn isn’t a plant pot or window and should not be treated as such." – PC Dave Wardell

17. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

18. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

19. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

20. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine