Something I read earlier today that I don't know where to put

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

A relatively simple math question asked of someone who should have a grasp of the question. :(

Right now I'm "drowning" in :kitty:s because of this.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Arif Ghamiq likes this.
  2. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

3. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

When will we ever learn?

I won't link to the article, but I'm reading an interview of a lady who was talking about the 25th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide, and it's still happening (not necessarily in Rwanda, but elsewhere.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

4. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

5. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Our Secretary of Education complained that teachers shouldn't strike on their students' time, just on "adult time". When I attended elhi, I dealt with several teachers' strikes, crossing picket lines, etc.

I don't know how our beloved administrator or any other teacher on IO thinks/feels about this, but I think that she's full of something that rhymes with it. I mean, pay decent teachers enough that they don't have to choose between teaching and something that pays better. Oh, and don't make them have to choose what their respective students can do because they have to buy supplies. Not every school/student can present Alien (the movie) as a fooking school play.

If she (the SoE) doesn't want teachers to strike, then she should pay public school teachers in less-affluent districts out of her own fooking pocket! Sell at least three of her personal yachts if needed!

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

StevePame likes this.
  6. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I found this through on of my LiveJournal people. It might be of interest to the Muslim members as well as the MU/MCU fans: https://mobile.twitter.com/malihaness/status/1126128474392006657?s=09

Basically, it's about one character (Yinsen) in the Ironman Universe who changed Tony Stark's life for the better, and he quoted a Sutta(sp?) about saving one man=saving mankind. He died not long afterwards iirc. :(

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  7. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

8. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

This is about the rights of the (legitimately) disabled:

I had already posted it on the YouTube thread, but I thought that it should be posted elsewhere, too.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

9. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

10. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

11. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

A rather interesting interview with Jeff Daniels, who plays a rather interesting character by the name of Atticus Finch, how he sees what his character's going through, and how it relates to what's going on with Drumpf:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

12. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

This could go under Health or lgbt+ "issues": https://sports.yahoo.com/caster-sem...-swedish-court-suspends-ruling-184956770.html

Caster Semenya is cisfemale, but her body produces excessive testosterone without any enhancements from outside sources. Because of that, she (hypothetically) has an unfair advantage over "normal" cisfemales, which is why she is required to take either a hormone suppressant or something to elevate her estrogen levels.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

13. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

14. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Should anyone have pets they can't take care of?

15. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Oftentimes, the pet/nonhuman companion came first or is needed for independence. A guide dog helps its owner get around while a dog that has been trained to assist someone with a chronic condition like epilepsy/dementia/diabetes/etc. can save their owner's life and/or give their owner's relatives back their lives (the late President George Bush's family, for example.)

A case that I read about several years ago involved a domestic abuse victim, her then-husband and her two :kitty:s. The husband shot/killed both :kitty:s in front of her right before he shot her, causing permanently paralysis from roughly above the waist down. She had raised the :kitty:s since they were kittens, before she met him.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

16. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

17. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

An explanation of what's going on concerning the ERA, courtesy of John Oliver:

He seems rather reasonable (compared to those who are/were against it.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

18. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

This would :mad: me off if I was in the shoes/boots of the surviving members & the families left behind by the ones who have perished after the Twin Towers of the old World Trade Center were hit by the passenger jets (the surviving personel are still dealing with the effects of the towers, both physically and psychologically!)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

19. wil

wil UNeyeR1

We wasted 6 trillion (and counting) on revenge, we sent more of our boys to their deaths (and counting) than died in the towers. To two countries who were not responsible (yet the Saudis (the country of the bombers) are our friends. And our citizens still suffer. And our comedians have to remind us...

20. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

True, but the first responders from the tragedy are dealing with very expensive illnesses, oftentimes bankrupting their families and/or causing health insurance companies to drop them like hot potatoes.

Hell, one of the people with Jon Stewart has Stage 3 or 4 cancer directly linked to The Towers! If you think that you have medical expenses with your stroke/blood pressure, just imagine his expenses!

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine