Reducing Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Health' started by Namaste Jesus, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

My 81 year old mom-in-law, who is currently visiting us from Fiji, suffers from high blood pressure and takes 3 different medications for it. So, since her arrival, we've been monitoring her BP closely.

The first week she was here, her average reading was 163/83. I'm told it seldom goes below that and that her physician just passes it off as old age.

The second week of her visit, her BP averaged out to 157/81.

The third week was even better, 148/79.

Now, after being here just over a month, her pressure is down to 118/70. That's better than mine!

My mom-in-law is not accustomed to our winter climate, so she mostly just stays indoors reminiscing over old times and relaxing in front of the TV. She really enjoys Hindi films, serials and comedies. I don't think I've ever heard that woman laugh so hard. She tells us that this is the first time in her life she's ever been able to just put her feet up and watch a movie all the way through. She's always lived within a large extended family structure and virtually never gets that opportunity back home.

2. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

Is she the one whose been communing with :kitty:s?

Living with "mellow" :kitty:s or other animals of preferred species have been known to lower blood pressure and hasten recuperating after major medical procedures (my cardiologist thinks that's why I don't need a higher dose of my cardiac medication; the BS/MS/PhD that I deal with in my apartment complex should have me on insulin and several different medications at much higher doses.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  3. Namaste Jesus

Yup, that's the one. I forgot about that. She's also getting a good nights sleep for a change.:)

It amazes me how much difference a few simple lifestyle changes can make. For me, just dropping 35lbs reduced my BP way more than any of the meds I was prescribed and without any of the nasty side effects.

StevePame likes this.
  4. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Got my blood pressure results Friday: 96/56 (a bit low from what I understand.) Going to a new cardiologist February 20th.)

My PCP wants to put me on an ACE inhibitor to protect my kidneys, but..

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

5. Namaste Jesus

My wife had the same issue for a while. She went from hypertensive to hypotensive. Doc had her half her morning and evening beta blockers and cut back her diuretic from once daily to half every other day. Right as rain now. Me, a low dose calcium channel inhibitor daily along with magnesium, Vitamin C and B-12 supplements does the trick. My heart still does "Stupid Human Tricks" from time to time, but at least it's not a constant thing anymore.

6. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I'm only on one pill (Metoprolol), and it's the lowest dose they make. :(

I just can't win for losing, it seems.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

7. wil

wil UNeyeR1

@60 I went from 0-60 on meds...incl.3.bp meds.

Just reading my operation report, all darn interesting

8. Namaste Jesus

That's what my wife takes, lowest dose. Half in the morning, other half in the evening. I can't handle beta blockers myself. Pulse rate drops too low, frequent PB spikes, headaches and mood swings. Doc says they work by inhibiting the flow of adrenalin, but in my case, my system just increases production to compensate and goes overboard.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 7:20 PM
  9. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear your pressure is low. Hopefully something small can help make a positive change and so that you don’t end of having to take a cocktail of medications.