TV and political alignment

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by A Cup Of Tea, Mar 28, 2018.

1. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

The topic interests me and I found this article from 2016 on what shows rep/dem watch.
    http://nordic.businessinsider.com/favorite-tv-shows-of-democrats-and-republicans-2016-7

Notable is I think is Supernatural for being so high up on both. I also like Supernatural.

I get most of US news from LastWeekTonight, Late Night with Seth Meyers and The Daily Show (sort of in that order). But I'm not a fan of the cheering and howling, it feels 'us vs. them' to me which I think is ultimately detrimental.

It would be good to see some tings that overlaps party allegiance.

StevePame likes this.
  2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Interesting...my current favorites are Rifleman, Adam12, Perry Mason, Ironsides, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Gunsmoke, Carol Burnett, Mannix, Wild Wild West.

3. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Wil ... what year are you living in? :D

Adam12 I don't know. Carol Burnett I know of, but never watched. Mannix, isn't that quite young in the stable? And Wild, Wild West was quite late over here.

Perry Mason, Ironsides, Gunsmoke, oh yes. When I was twelve I 'went home' to Ireland. Stayed with relatives in Tipperary at a small place called Horse and Jockey. Friday evening everyone piled into the one house that had the TV, and we all watched The Virginian. The Irish do like their westerns. Bonanza we had too, and The High Chaparral. And before all that, Rawhide!

Beverley Hillbillies and 77 Sunset Strip on a Sunday night.

And then ... nirvana ... Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in. (And Judy Carne had something to do with it.)

4. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

Well, I have absolutely no political party affiliations, but thanks largely to our local PBS affiliate that is currently still airing all but one of these, the top 10 TV shows I'm watching now are, in no particular order:

Are You Being Served - Last of the Summer Wine - As Time Goes By - Waiting for God - The Vicar of Dibley - Good Neighbors (The Good Life in the U.K.) - Ballykissangel - Outnumbered - Inspector George Gently and The Andy Griffith Show

Now I'm quite sure Thomas is wondering where the hell I'm actually from and in what decade I'm living in....;)

5. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

If you don't pay for cable...the shows NJ speaks of and I speak are all available in the air via antenna... I recall decades ago when cable TV came out...the promise of you are paying for no commercials....that went by the wayside...and then buying special channels...the fee was for no commercials...that too left...and public television, PBS...same thing...go thru a week of donation programming (where they cram some of the best specials and music) so you don't have commercials... All of them have commercials... Which I no longer mind, perfect opportunity to go to the bathroom, or make popcorn... But most amazing thing is books...I can pick them up or put them down, they don't need to be recharged (haven't gone tablet yet).

6. Namaste Jesus

I've never paid for TV. Antennas all the way for me. Homemade at that! Of course, now with high speed internet and a dedicated SFF PC attached to our big screen, TV from around the world is at our fingertips... for free. Just my price!:D

7. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

No political affiliations for me either. Not even all that much interest really. As for television, watched more when I lived in the states than I do now. As I remember, rebroadcasts of Andy Griffith and MASH were on my favorites list back then.

8. A Cup Of Tea

NJ and AT, in this place you have expressed more conservative views, would you agree with that?

9. Aussie Thoughts

For me, I suppose, relatively speaking.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  10. Namaste Jesus

Ok, I'll go along with that. I guess I do lean in that direction at times.

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

lol.... unless someone else is posting on your behalves...

12. A Cup Of Tea

There isn't any follow up on that, to me you are both very conservative but then I guess Sweden and the people around me are very liberal compared to US and Australia in general.

13. Namaste Jesus

That's the thing. Liberals often see me as conservative, while conservatives often see me as liberal. I on the other hand see myself as neither. Which stance I'll take depends entirely on the topic. I mean, I don't know a lot, if any conservative Christians that would marry outside their own ethnicity, religion and nationality or take part in non-Abrahamic religious traditions.

It is true, Aussie and I have similar views on most things. Though, some more than others. I guess that's why we get along so well. Funny thing is, our upbringing could not have been more different.

I grew up in a low income housing project in a large metropolitan US city. Thanks to an absentee, alcoholic father, we often lived hand to mouth, dependent of public assistance for our survival.

Aussie on the other hand, was raised on a very large farm in a rural part of Australia with a very traditional and stable family structure. As he puts it, they never had to worry about having food on the table or a roof over their head.

Yet here we are, often sitting on the same side of the fence. Go figure....

Getting back on topic, how would you say our individual TV program preferences align with the conservative stereotype?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  14. A Cup Of Tea

That dosen't surprise me, I think a lot of us have family that have very different political views from ourselves which would indicate that common identifiers in our upbringing have a limited outcome on our ideology, I would guess that how we relate to our background has a bigger impact on how we think society should be run.

Oh I have no idea, it was just an interesting theory but the different shows don't say anything particular to me.

15. Aussie Thoughts

Well dang. Thought you were going somewhere with your query mate. -:D

16. A Cup Of Tea

Yeah, what a let down. Ill try and think of something!

17. Namaste Jesus

Did you notice though; the shows you list as your favorites are mostly geared towards violence, while those I listed are mostly non-violent, family shows? Just saying....:rolleyes:

Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  18. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

lol...I do what I can to support confirmation bias and make others feel good about themselves... not really...that was completely accidental...but glad you enjoyed it.