What is it about American society that makes the religious faith of immigrant communities atrophy?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Thomas, Apr 12, 2018.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I wouldn't have expected that either... we seem to have adverts and conspicuous consumption everywhere...

2. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Sorry, that was my error ... I don't know what I was thinking ...

No. We have smaller church attendance figures, and the root causes are generally the same. The RCC suffered notably after the refusal to entertain any idea of artificial contraception in the encyclical Humanae Vitae in 1968. The Anglican communion suffered with the ordination of women to the priesthood, but these were particular issues, all part-and-parcel of the general trend.

I think because religion is part of America's self-image, so its version of 'Christian values' are seen part of what it is to be American in certain sectors of society. The religion of a political figure in the UK is hardly an issue, whereas it's seen as important by some in the US? The only time it arose here is when the leader of the Liberal Democrats declared his Catholicism and his personal views against contraception and abortion. He went to some length to explain that his views are not the views of the party, and nor will the party be obliged to endorse his views. It wasn't enough, and he was obliged to resign.

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Wow, that wasn't well received?

I'm always amazed at discrimination against Catholics. I mean, I have no desire to become one, but folks that say it is not Christian makes no sense to me. Kennedy's Catholicism was a big deal, but he was so charismatic, he overcame that...and we can see charismatic is big pull with the American masses.