The Best of all Beliefs!

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by wil, Apr 26, 2018.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1

General thinking beyond the boundaries of religion and organised belief is the title of this section of our board.

So lettuce play! The rules, no conjecture, no faith, no afterlife, no supernatural, no negativity/punishing, positive life changing, uplifting... just the best quotes from your favorite spiritual texts which any being anywhere on this planet can utilize to better their relationship with our earth, our life on earth, our fellow travelers right here and right now.

We've gone over the golden rule extensively, not saying you can't find some goodies in there...but lettuce find more. The idea ONE point per thread...the scripture/quote...your interpretation and reasoning that it should be included in a book of phrases that will benefit all... the shorter the better, both on the quip and the explanation... we want these truths to be self evident. So powerful that with contemplation they can be enjoyed and grocked by all.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Christian Bible, Matt 25:40 ‘The truth is, anything you did for any of my people here, you also did for me.’

We are one, you are part of the one, be this a metaphysical thought or you and I as citizens of the world. Our thoughts, words and actions affect all of us, as individuals and society as a whole.

3. seattlegal

seattlegal Why do cows say mu?

Dhammapada 1:5
    5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

Self explanatory.

A Cup Of Tea and wil like this.
  4. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

"For one who sees Me everywhere and sees everything in Me, I am never lost, nor is he ever lost to Me"
    Bhagavad Gita 6.30

wil likes this.
  5. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Thank you both for kickstarting this thread.

StevePame likes this.
  6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Hebrew Bible... Ezra 10:4 Get up! It’s your duty to take action. We are with you, so be strong and take action.

7. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Active Member

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1

I am looking for our beneficial darn near unarguable truths...
    These are a tad more than that... introducing a belief in the unknowable...introducing an entity which may be argued by others who do not hold the same beliefs.
    Things everyone can use in their life... no matter if they have religion or have not.

Note I am not calling either foolish or disgraceful.... It is simply a good quote which all of us should ascribe. I almost did not use it, in fear of someone taking it personally, but then thought that would be indicating we are not all thinking adults here, and can see beyond our own perceptions to the value of the thought embedded in the words. It does not require a belief in any specific religion to see that it is common sense. While it also is an example of what I am trying to achieve in this thread in comparison to what I am not.

9. Namaste Jesus

Are you looking for those found strictly in religious scripture, Bible, Gita, etc, or are other sources acceptable? I have collected several over the years as well as some I've written myself, but not all are based on religious text.

10. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Active Member

Re: post #8 ---

"Belief and Spirituality" --- Sorry! Misunderstood...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  11. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Yeah, I know, the description of the title of this section is slightly different than the title of the section...tis why I tried to clarify as much as I could in the original post. I thank you for your contribution, and am trying to correct what I am striving for in this thread as they come in.
    I have seen some of those you posted and thought them interesting. And sure. What I am looking for is those positive notes, those contemplations that could be put to use by anyone without saying "that doesn't agree with my belief" the quips, proverbs, allegories we can put into use in our life no matter what religion we belong to...truly interfaith truths that a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Taoist, Sikh, or secular atheist would think is valuable contemplation.

I was just looking through the art of war...as a man thinketh and heck....

You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true.

— Spock

12. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

"Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave"

(Hadith collection Al Jami Sagheer believed by some Scholars to be weak or even fabricated, but still viewed as a true and good statement in itself)

wil likes this.
  13. Namaste Jesus

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
    1 Corinthians 10:13

14. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Proverbs 4:5-9

5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
    do not forget my words or turn away from them.
    6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
    love her, and she will watch over you.
    7 The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom.
    Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
    8 Cherish her, and she will exalt you;
    embrace her, and she will honor you.
    9 She will give you a garland to grace your head
    and present you with a glorious crown.”

15. Arif Ghamiq

Fadalah ibn Ubaid reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

الْمُجَاهِدُ مَنْ جَاهَدَ نَفْسَهُ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ

"The one who strives in the way of Allah the Exalted is he who strives against his soul."

Source: Musnad Ahmad 23445, Grade: Sahih

This is one of the Hadiths upon which is based the concept of "The greatest Jihad (Struggle) is the Jihad of the Nafs (Self/Soul)".

16. Bhaktajan II

Bhaktajan II Active Member

The Supreme Personality of Godhead Bhagavan Shree Krishna said:

"Whatever state of being one remembers when he quits his body,
    O son of Kunti, that state he will attain without fail.

Therefore, Arjuna, you should always think of Me in the form of Krishna
    and at the same time carry out your prescribed duty of fighting.

With your activities dedicated to Me and your mind and intelligence fixed on Me,
    you will attain Me without doubt. He who meditates on Me as the
    Supreme Personality of Godhead, his mind constantly engaged in remembering Me,
    undeviated from the path, he, O Partha, is sure to reach Me.

One should meditate upon the Supreme Person as the one who knows everything,
    as He who is the oldest, who is the controller, who is smaller than the smallest,
    who is the maintainer of everything, who is beyond all material conception,
    who is inconceivable, and who is always a person. He is luminous like the sun,
    and He is transcendental, beyond this material nature.

One who, at the time of death, fixes his life air between the eyebrows and,
    by the strength of yoga, with an undeviating mind, engages himself in
    remembering the Supreme Lord in full devotion, will certainly attain to
    the Supreme Personality of Godhead."

Bhagavad-gita 8.6-10

17. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Well, of course I would quibble with the terms of the OP, but in the spirit of the thing:

"If I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love (agape), I am nothing."
    1 Corinthians 13:2

18. wil

wil UNeyeR1

The concept I was hoping for was that we would find a verse in the bible that a polytheist could read, enjoy and nod their head in agreement, scripture from the Quran that a Mormon would accept, scripture from the Gita that a Catholic would be willing to teach their children... appears they are hard to find...

you did well.

19. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Yes, I got that. A good call.

The bit I'd quibble with is the 'beyond the boundaries of religion and organised belief', but then you'd expect that of me. :rolleyes: A side-issue, really.

Interesting that the quotes come from within those exoteric boundaries, they touch on that we perceive as universal truth, and the truth is boundless.

As a complete aside, I wonder what impact 'self evident truths' have in our lives? The Golden Rule crosses cultures, it's universal, but almost universally ignored. By Trump, by Brexit, by Putin and Macron, by Kim Jon Un, even, it would appear, by the nobel-winning Aung San Suu Kyi, considering the plight of the Rohingya — tragically, in this day and age it's a rule observed more in the breach.

It's good to recall the rule and others like it. Every little effort counts:

A Zen aphorism: "Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

And from the Paradise of the Desert Fathers: "One of the fathers asked Abba John the Dwarf, "What is a monk?" He said, "He is toil. The monk toils at all he does. That is what a monk is."

20. Arif Ghamiq

Anas ibn Malik reported: The Prophet (saww) said, “None of you will have faith until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 13, Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 45