School Shooting Again

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Arif Ghamiq, May 18, 2018.

1. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Not with this administration... Eventually the dinos will die off and reasonable gun control will be enacted.

3. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

I hate to "say" this but our "beloved" president doesn't care. He's kinda like PT Barnum with a much larger audience (at least the PT Barnum from The Greatest Showman.)

Unfortunately for everyone else, we have to suffer the consequences of his lack of sympathy/empathy.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

We haven't had a president do anything about this...

5. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

True, but I can't recall a recent president (other than Drumpf) suggest more guns in schools either. Hell, Obama suggested that there should be tighter gun control laws after Newtown (went nowhere.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. Arif Ghamiq

I'm definitely in favor of reasonable gun control laws and the enforcement of present gun laws, but it's gonna take more than that. A ban on assault rifles and bump stocks would of had no effect here - he had a shotgun and a 38 revolver, legally owned by his father. And homemade bombs!

The is a social and/or psychological problem with our Nation - something is bad wrong with our youth! And I'm not sure what can be done, but I really don't believe simple legislation is going to fix it.

7. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

The assault weapon ban would not have stopped this one...but how many others??

The NRA not taking a stance to help but only hinder may result in Australia style gun regulation...once a new admin and congress are in....if course we ma have tonwait till the dinosaurs no longer rule the country and millenials and genzeers are in to assist the hippies...

8. Arif Ghamiq

You're right, the ban would help - it may have stopped some or at least made their attacks less deadly. But do you think that's enough? Would it just reduce it some?

The American "Black Market" is pretty hard core. I don't think what works in other countries would work as well here. Look at our drug problem, meth & heroin have been illegal for a long time and drug addiction is at epidemic levels. Something has to be addressed about our American Culture of Violence and I don't think our youth is exempt from it at all.

Something in our mind, consciousness, heart, soul or something?!?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  9. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

It is stupid to ban drugs...we can save a lot more thru treatment and safe production and distribution....no comparison....and yes there will be a black market...but you can hide drugs in your watch pocket. You can't hide an ar15 there.

10. Arif Ghamiq

I also favor treatment and regulation when it comes to drugs, and someone certainly could not hide an AR15 like they could a bag of dope, but I am using it as more of an example of how making something illegal can have little effect and just swell our already too large Prison System. However, comparatively - as you pointed out - gun laws would have a better effect than our drug laws. Still more has to be done.

Do you think we have an addiction to violence in this country? Shouldn't there be real restrictions on exposing kids to violence?

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

They haven't shown a link from movies or video games...to violence...

But between corporal punishment at home, capital punishment in states, a country always at war....there is a correlation.

That might rules...

Arif Ghamiq likes this.
  12. Arif Ghamiq

There has been much discussion about video games, movies and their link to violence, but it it's mostly theoretical - no real proof. However, you have to see that many movies (for decades) and video games of today, glorify war. The Santa Fe TX shooter had expressed a desire to join the military (marines I think), and I doubt it was for patriotic reasons or "spreading democracy" - a common justification for warfare these days.

And it's more than war - gangster movies that glorify & romanticize killer criminals and gun slinging cowboy outlaws (which I grew up with) have also been around for a long time - highly successful at the box office.

13. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Yes to that. Drug related gun and knife crime is escalating in the UK.

If you lifted the ban on drugs:
    You control legitimate sources and quality and tax them;
    You free up over-stretched police resources;
    The tax from drugs could be used towards the under-funded National Health Service;
    You'd reduce the number of young kids being killed in turf wars;
    You'd massively impact of the epidemic of gangs forcing kids and others to travel across the country to service their marketing at arms length, thus making it very difficult to prosecute;
    I know two people personally who use cannabis as the most effective form of pain relief they know — and in one case much, much cheaper than horrendously expensive drugs used for treating arthritis.

A journalist said nearly every MP he'd spoken to in the UK was for lifting the ban on cannabis at least, but none are willing to say so openly because the 'popular' (right wing) papers would ruin them.

Our PM, the poster girl for the right, is against any form of legalisation, obviously ... so no change soon.

14. Bhaktajan II

Bhaktajan II Hare Krishna Yogi

Some one is doing the brainwashing

15. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I think that is the third or fourth time this year Thomas that you and I have been on the same page.....the end is near!!

StevePame likes this.
  16. Arif Ghamiq

17. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

Yups, the writing is on the wall....:D

18. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Admin

We have yet another school assembly scheduled on Monday to discuss creating a better environment so as to not have a incident at our school.

Some part of me worries that a student will use nearly all of their teachers and classmates gathered in one spot to discuss the horrors of school shootings to do something awful.

19. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I kinda agree about this: what better way to decimate a school than to use an assembly.

Before you head out, open three tabs and look at your favourite :kitty: sites. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

20. Arif Ghamiq