Is this Hypocrisy in our Society?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Arif Ghamiq, May 29, 2018.

1. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

2. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

Actually, I was waiting for that to happen long before her tweet. Boils down to; Roseanne is an avid Trump supporter. The powers that be at Disney are not.... Just imagine what would happen if a show like, "All in the Family" tried to air these days.:rolleyes:

Arif Ghamiq likes this.
  3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

No, networks can cancel their shows for any reason...and any other network that thinks the show is worth the risk and will create the revenue theynwant and the image they need can pick it up. She wasn't cancelled for being a trump supporter..she was cancelled for being stupid.

4. Namaste Jesus

If celebrity stupidity were a reason for canceling a show, all our TV screens would be blank! More like fear of losing anti-Trump sponsors. I didn't care for the new show myself. Stopped watching after the first 2 episodes. Same old, same old to me. Given the content and todays political climate, I figured it's days would be numbered anyway.

Latest speculation is the show will come back in the fall minus it's namesake. I guess killing off the title character couldn't make the show any less stupid....;)

5. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

All in the family was created and acted by screaming liberals making

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Fun of racist conservatives....and they loved and agreed with it as much as they missed that it was over the top lampooning

7. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

Actually, All In the Family was based on a comedy that aired in England. A few tweaks here and there and you got a relatively successful "series". Hell, it almost wasn't aired because the trial audience didn't like it; one of the executives took a chance on it, overriding said "audience", and the rest, as "they" say, is history.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Many of our comedy hits were based in English versions...

9. Arif Ghamiq

Offensive things were said on All in the Family on every show, and it was somewhat balanced with Archie & "Meat Head", but there was usually a cleverness about it. Issues we're often dissected and looked at in a comedic way - insightful at times.

I don't find Rosanne Barr or Michelle Wolf very funny, clever or insightful - just offensive in their very personal, individual attacks.

I see hypocrisy in Rosanne being shut down while Michelle gets boosted up. The imbalance between liberal & conservative is in such a state now that All in the Family wouldn't make it today.

While being interviewed about the Obama's Netflix deal, Netflix Chief Ted Sarandos acknowledged this imbalance to some degree:

Upon being prodded by journalist Ken Auletta, however, Sarandos noted, "it's hard to argue there's not a left lean to the creative community."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/meaww....sarandos-addresses-left-leaning-concerns-deal

10. Namaste Jesus

Speaking of hypocrisy, did anyone happen to catch Jimmy Kimmel last night? As you may know, his show airs on the very same network as did Rosanne. In addition to his usual anti-Trump rhetoric, he said that Ted Cruz reminded him of a Grandpa Munster bobble head and that his face could be replaced with that of the Blob and no one would notice. As far as I know, there are no plans to cancel his show......:rolleyes:

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

TV show comedian...

Vs public racist tweets

Rosanne could get away with a ton of stuff on stage..and on screen...and has.

But racism is not a side effect of ambien

She was not fired for her racism....she was fired for not keeping it hidden like other racists so ABC could justify not firing her.

Our electorate replaced our commander in chief with a bobblehead...and we all noticed.

12. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

There's a difference between political satire and what Barr said/posted.

Kimmel falls under the term "political satire" if I understand such humor (my favourite political satirists of the current era are Roy Blount, Jr., Louis Black and their ilk.)

I miss several "classic" satirists. They (usually) took the "high road", yet were rather biting in their commentary.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

13. Arif Ghamiq

There is certainly a difference between on stage/on screen, and social media, but I doubt she could have gotten away with saying Valerie Jarret looked like a cross between the Muslim Brotherhood & Planet of the Apes on her TV show.

I'm not convinced she's a racist - maybe she is, but I doubt it. Do we assume that people who make "fat jokes" have something against overweight people?

Her comments can be interpreted as racist, but she was commenting on Jarret's appearance, just as Michelle Wolf did about Sarah Sanders and Jimmy Kimmel did about Ted Cruz.

So while there are differences - there are close similarities.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Craz and Namaste Jesus like this.
  14. Namaste Jesus

Well there you go. Likening someone to Grandpa Munster and The Blob, satire to some - hateful and uncalled for to others.

Suggesting someone a cross between The Muslim Brotherhood and Planet of the Apes, racist to some - typical over the top Roseanne humor to others.

Humor is a very subjective thing. Some I like, some I don't, but I'm certainly not willing to condemn a person on that basis alone. I also find it quite hypocritical to condemn one persons offensive remarks while condoning another's equally offensive remarks. Regardless the media in which it is presented.

15. Arif Ghamiq

Rosanne has been doing political stuff since her stand up days.

16. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

You lost me, what was it about the Planet of the Apes that reminded her about Jarret's appearance?

17. Arif Ghamiq

I would assume she saw a resemblance. I'm not sure about the Muslim Brotherhood part - since they're all men I think.

I think her words were offensive, but no less offensive than the insults dished out by the aforementioned comedians and many others.

18. Arif Ghamiq

19. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

If one thinks comparing black people to apes or Monkees or gorillas isn't racist...

You might be racist.

20. Arif Ghamiq

I think such a comparison (insult) is offensive, stupid and can be racist - I would never make such a comment. Thing is, I feel the same about other comparisons (insults) which many others seem to not have a problem with.

As for her being racist - I truly don't know - but she has said many things in the past that would indicate that she is not. Mostly she's indicated that she'll say anything! During her stand up days I remember her calling every member in Congress child molesters - I doubt she believed that's true, but maybe she did.

As for me being racist - I'm definitely not, in fact I have an extreme dislike of racism, but that's not the only thing I extremely dislike.