Is this Hypocrisy in our Society?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Arif Ghamiq, May 29, 2018.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

What else does anyone have to go by, other than what we post?

2. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

3. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

Personal bias and preconceived notions...;)

Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  4. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

New thing down here. Somebody takes offense at your joke. "Hey, just a joke mate. Don't go all ABC on me!" Confused me at 1st. Didn't realize they meant the TV network. ABC usually refers to Australia Born Chinese down here. -:D

5. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Acot seems pretty level headed to me

StevePame likes this.
  6. Namaste Jesus

That wasn't a shot at Tea, Wil. You asked, "What else does anyone have to go by, other than what we say?" I'm saying we also tend to read our personal bias and preconceived notions into statements made by others and this can sometimes lead to false conclusions.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Interesting personal bias and preconceived notions.

8. Namaste Jesus

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  9. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

I do intend to reply to this, I'm just taking my sweet time.

@Arif Ghamiq would you mind if I continued my discussion with NJ here and making some comments on racism in general? I'll continue here for now and we can just move this post if it's inappropriate!

So this 13min video is about how racism is often handled in films. He goes on a bit and drifts a bit so I will note what I find is important here.
    In the film, Three Billboards, there is a character named Dixon who missuses his power and expresses racism. Through the film we come to understand him and support him. This video creator uses the term redemption here which is argues over, though politely, in the comment section.

The creator argues that this redemption occurs without Dixon needing to face or come to terms with his past racism but that this is simply glossed over. This film, and films in general,not only uses racism as a tool to illustrate that a character is a bad guy, but often uses an African American character to act in a forgiving manner that symbolically washes away his sins. And in extension it forgives us, the white audience, from our own guilt.

I thought this was a very interesting concept and I would love to discuss this with people like NJ and Arif who I struggle to find common ground with.

And to reiterate, racism here are acts we are all guilty of because of our ignorance or preconceptions. We are only human, and thus, we strive to be better.

10. Arif Ghamiq

By all means Cup - please proceed

A Cup Of Tea likes this.
  11. Arif Ghamiq

I like the Three Billboards movie. I saw all the main characters as being pretty dark - including the Mother Mildred, her abusive ex-Husband and even Woody's character.

The Dixon character was not redeemed to me when I watched the movie, but he was somewhat humanized. Certainly not "off the hook" or forgiven - by me.

Dixon getting away with his abuses without prosecution is realistic - showing how police officers (who should be held to a higher standard) so often get away with violent crimes. I think a racist, fired cop who decides to become a murder is a lot closer to reality than him becoming a good person who abandons & denounces racism would be.

I agree with the video's opinion about race in Hollywood and this movie. Three Billboards gave an accurate portrayal of racism - and the corruption of law enforcement - but didn't address it.

Black heros are starting to emerge in movies and white villains are still common, but letting white racists off the hook is still around too. This - as the video points out - is perpetuated by forgiving, compassionate black characters who are the victims of unrepentant racist.

12. Arif Ghamiq

I agree Cup, about all of us striving to be better - and that really applies to everything.

My Wife and I watched some old movies awhile back and were both a bit shocked at the racism we didn't see back then.

I think I identify racism more now than I ever have - especially Systemic Racism. I do think the label of "racist" is often times given out too quickly or easily. Can a non-racist say racist things? I think so - and I believe Rosanne is probably an example of this.

I certainly believe Bill Maher is an example of a non-racist saying something that is considered racist:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile...03/arts/television/bill-maher-n-word.amp.html

Giving up the use of such words could be an example of striving to be better -could it not?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  13. A Cup Of Tea

Well, you're not suppose to agree with everything and add your own insights to the discussion! Haven't you been to the internet before?

Can a non-racist say racist things?
    I don't know, but I assume so. It gets a bit too messy where if a good man can do evil things, and an evil man can do good things, what is a good man? I havn't figured that one out yet so I just refrain from saying someone is good, bad, racist and just focus on their actions.

StevePame and EdgyDolmen like this.
  14. Arif Ghamiq

I wasn't agreeing with everything - I was agreeing with us striving to be better - in everything. Still, pardon me if I've violated any Internet Etiquettes, and yes I've been plugged in for quite awhile now. I think focusing on the actions is the way to go. Condemnation usually goes too far.

15. A Cup Of Tea

To clarify, I was being somewhat sarcastic.

But I do want to know when and how you disagree with me, I'm not writing out these things because they are written masterpieces. I want to know where what I say doesn't hold up.

Arif Ghamiq likes this.
  16. A Cup Of Tea

I'm continuing to use this thread for my rant on racism.
    Thi video is illustrates the sort of racism I was going on about on page 2. The sort of associations our minds make without us realizing it.

17. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

It is a thing...but not always racism... It is communication. Whether someone's first language is German, Japanese, Spanish, Russian, or AAV... Or southern, appalachian, new england, Minnesotan, or inner city... Unless I have a longstanding familiarity with their vernacular... I am going to struggle to understand what they are saying. Not because I am racist... But because I don't speak their language.

Frsnkky I have the same issue with a current white guys, tweets, speeches, and transcripts... And looking at his grammer, punctuation, words, phrases, spelling... I a barely high school educated individual who often has similar problems makes judgements about his character and intelligence based on what I hear and read.

EdgyDolmen likes this.
  18. Arif Ghamiq

This does illustrate a type of hidden racism. People do form opinions based on how someone talks, which can often be misleading, but not always.

This is just another - more subtle way - in which racists discriminate. A non racist employer talking to an applicant on the phone who "sounds black" wouldn't be biased.

People with southern accents (like myself) are sometimes thought of as being ignorant by people who are not from the south. This can be seen on TV and movies.