Dreams

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by Cino, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Cino

Cino Big Love

Do dreams play a role in your spiritual or religious life?

If so, how?

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

I do contemplate whether the me in my dream life thinks this life is a dream, but that is as far as I get.

3. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

Yes, sometimes and maybe. That is, yes I've had dreams that influenced me spiritually, sometimes quite vivid and maybe there was more to it than just what I'd had to eat before going to bed.

One dream in particular that comes to mind is when I was building our Mandir. Excavation was complete and the blue stone for the foundation bed had been delivered, but I'd been dragging my feet getting it in place. One night I dream of Krishna as a child who tells me not to forget to bless the ground before I begin construction. He then motions behind him and Shiva appears with hands poised in prayer. Shiva then opens his hands and cupped in the middle is the entire area I had excavated. I mean, dirt is spilling from between his fingers, there's roots hanging down, all very surreal. Thing is, the blue stone was already in place.

So there I was before sunrise next morning getting 2 1/2 tons of blue stone in place one wheelbarrow at a time, so I could do the blessing as told.

Now logic tells me that having yet to start construction on the project was weighing heavy on my subconscious and manifests itself as a dream, but my spiritual side tells me that my subconscious is not without divine influence. In other words, one reacts to the other in my way of thinking.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  4. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet Deus Pascus Corvus

I can't tell you how much dreams have helped me.

I think the early stage of dreaming is to go over the karma of recent times and the day just gone, the second deeper dreaming is to gradually deal with older karma, and the last stage is to help prepare for the day and times ahead.

It's all symbolic but the subconscious understands it. Sometimes I have a dream I can't remember, but still the dream has done its work; it has penetrated my subconscious.

But again, like everything, the spiritual guidance has to be invited. I have to be open to it. Imo

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 11:59 AM
  5. Cino

Cino Big Love

Thanks for sharing!

I've been keeping dream journals for decades. Sometimes I read old entries, sometimes patterns become obvious.

Often there just the daily processing, reflected in dreams.

I like Jungian style dream analysis, it has been helpful to acknowledge parts of me that are not involved so much in my everyday discursive mind.

For example, there was a dream where I met a wise teacher in a medieval tower full of unicorns. Or one where a shape-shifting alien tried to buy my house. This kind of archetypal stuff.

Then there is a class of dreams that are very "trippy", with radically altered perception. For example, my visual field might fill up with a grid or honeycomb pattern full of wiggling symbols or letters. Often they mark a change in the spiritual weather, so to speak.

Dreams play a big role in my spiritual practice.

StevePame and RJM Corbet like this.