Oral Torah, Sacred Tradition, Ahadith

Discussion in 'Abrahamic Religions' started by Cino, Feb 2, 2019.

1. OrtaYol

OrtaYol Active Member

If specifics of Salah are missing from the Quran then the Quran is incomplete...no?

2. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

No. I do not believe that the specifics of Salah (or anything else) are "missing" from Quran - so I do not believe that The Quran is incomplete.

I do believe the specifics of Salah, as well as other things, were demonstrated by Prophet Muhammad (saww), the "Perfect Example/Excellent Pattern" as intended by Allah (33:21).

3. OrtaYol

OrtaYol Active Member

Is this a wording thing?

Do you believe the specifics of Salah are contained within the Quran?

4. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Active Member

No this isnt a wording thing - just clarity.

I do not believe the specifics of Salah are contained in The Quran, but just because something isnt in Quran doesn't mean it's "missing" from The Quran imo.

5. OrtaYol

OrtaYol Active Member

Thank you for your response Arif.

I would agree when it comes to things like my mothers lentil soup recipe or how to raise a pet giraffe.. but when it comes to matters of religion I don't understand how anyone finds this reasonable.

6:38 - We have neglected nothing in the Book (of Our decrees). Then unto their Lord they will be gathered.

6:114 - Shall I seek other than Allah for judge, when He it is Who hath revealed unto you (this) Scripture, fully explained?

12:111 - It is no invented story but a confirmation of the existing (Scripture) and a detailed explanation of everything, and a guidance and a mercy for folk who believe.

These verses are obviously not referring to everything in the all encompassing sense but in regards to religion. Salah are part of the religion.. I do not understand how the Quran can be regarded as complete if some aspects of our contact prayers are left out of it? I cannot think of any other situation where this logic would apply. If a primary text contains information but you need secondary texts to supplement and even add completely new information in order to understand the primary text, then the primary text cannot be complete... what am I missing here?

Also why would it be left out? It is not that much extra information, it could of easily been added in a page or two.

6. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls Staff Member

Yes .. the Qur'an instructs us to remember Allah regularly.
    Does it need to have a step-by-step instructions on how to do that?
    It seems not. I am quite confident that Muslims know how to perform salah :)

Is it because that while Muslims argue about "the mechanics" of their religion", they miss the whole point?
    ..that Allah SWT is looking for sincerity and not a rule junkie.

OrtaYol likes this.
  7. Amica2

Amica2 Member

Thank you for this question. As a Muslim, I believe the only Divine Scripture in Islam is The Qur'an. For me personally, it is the authority on all religious matters and beliefs. Anything else, to me, is human invention. However, in practice, I am not the only-Qur'an gal either. Hadiths, as much as they are problematic, confusing and contradictory both to themselves and the Qur'an, contain certain teachings and instructions that are acceptable to me. For example, hadiths detail how to perform a formal prayer while Qur'an appears more vague about it. It probably is so because God cares more of how and why we approach prayer, rather than the manner in which is performed. God may not care if I sit on a chair to perform my prayer, but He cares if I am present, if I performed ablution, if I believe and focus on Him in prayer. He gives us certain freedoms to decide certain matters, such as how to perform funeral rituals. Qur'an doesn't detail such.

However, hadiths are flawed and many of them preach lies and contradictions. Proof of this is the fact that world's Muslims don't follow the same hadith books. Further, Qur'an preaches respect for all, while hadiths propagate hate for some animals and women. Also, hadiths support pedophilia in the blatant lie and grave slander against the Prophet of Islam when they state Aisha r.a. consummated marriage with the Prophet pbuh at the age of 9. Next, hadiths propagate abuse of human rights for minorities, calling people unclean, jailing/killing people for leaving Islam and sanctioning killing of people for no reason. ALL of which are NOT authentic Islamic teachings per Qur'an, and which contradict other hadiths themselves that are aligned with the Qur'an. Next, initial hadiths collected were in over 100,000. Out of those only 3000 remained to be used, and all 3000 are classified as true, good, weak and fake. Good luck figuring out which is which. It depends of the school of thought you follow, which country you live in, what government you have and which sect you are belonging to.

And Qur'an says it is enough for Muslims. I believe that if Muslims stuck with the Qur'an, and used hadiths just as general guidance followed only if not in contradiction to the Qur'an, Muslims would be much happier people, and the world would be a happier place.