Baha'i Holy Day July 10th "Matyrdom of the Bab"

Discussion in 'Baha'i' started by arthra, Jun 28, 2019.

1. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Baha'is around the world will be observing a Holy Day "The Martyrdom of the Bab" on July 10th. Work and school are suspended on this Holy Day. The Holy Day begins after sunset July 9th and ends at sunset July 10th. The martyrdom occurred in Tabriz Iran in 1850 in a barracks square which is pictured below:

[​IMG]

A detailed account of the martyrdom can be found at

https://www.bahai-library.com/merrick_holy-days_martyrdom_bab

A summary can also be found at

https://bahai-library.com/tags/Bab, Martyrdom of

Christopher Buck wrote:

"At noon, the Ba ´b and Anı ´s were brought out into the barracks square, and, bound by ropes, suspended from a spike driven into the wall of the barracks. The surrounding rooftops were thronged with an estimated 10,000 onlookers. The Russian Armenian Sa ´m Kha ´n commanded the Christian Baha ´dura ´n Regiment, which was ordered to carry out the execution. Although accounts of the Ba ´b’s execution vary in details, all agree that, after thick smoke—from the volley of 750 muskets—had cleared, the Ba ´b had vanished, with Anı ´s standing before the astonished multitude, unhurt. The Ba ´b’s escape from the first volley of musket fire is beyond doubt, as his ropes were cut by the shots. One witness to this extraordinary event, Sir Justin Shiel, Queen Victoria’s Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary, in Tehran on July 22, 1850, records:
    The founder of this sect has been executed at Tabreez. He was killed by a volley of musketry, and his death was on the point of giving his religion a lustre which would have largely increased his proselytes. When the smoke and dust cleared away after the volley, Ba ´b was not to be seen, and the populace proclaimed that he had ascended to the skies. The balls had broken the ropes by which he was bound, but he was dragged from the recess where after some search he was discovered and shot. His death, according to the belief of his disciples, will make no difference as Ba ´b must always exist. (Momen, The Ba ´bı ´ and Baha ´’ı ´ Religions, 1844–1944, 78)
    A frantic search ensued, and the Ba ´b was found back in his cell, evidently completing dictation to his secretary that was earlier interrupted. Soldiers swiftly cleared the barracks square, and the Ba ´b was once more suspended by ropes for execution, with Anı ´s placed in front of the Ba ´b. But Sa ´m Kha ´n refused to order his troops to fire again and so the Muslim Na ´dirı ´ Regiment was summoned. On the second attempt, the Ba ´b and Anı ´s were instantly killed. Their bodies, in fact, were fused together by the sheer number of bullets that struck them."

https://bahai-library.com/buck_celebrations_martyrdom_bab

2. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Interesting! Is the extraordinary event after the first execution attempt considered a divine miracle in the Bahai faith? Is there some speculation or teaching how the Bab made it back to his cell? Is it known what it was he dictated in the last minutes of his life?

3. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

Not sure about the 750 muskets, but all sources do agree the Bab briefly disappeared. See here.

4. Cino

Fascinating reading!

Not unlike trying to puzzle together the events around the passion of Jesus, from the sources.

5. arthra

arthra Baha'i

A brief "Tablet to Salman I" revealed by Bahá’u’lláh in "Days of Remembrance" recently published:

The anniversary of the Martyrdom of the Báb was commemorated as a Holy Day during the lifetime of Bahá’u’lláh:

Tablet to Salman I

"O Salmán! Say: O people! Tread ye in the path of the one true God and ponder the ways and words of Him Who is the Manifestation of His ancient Being, that perchance ye may attain unto the Wellspring of the living waters of the All-Glorious. Were believers and non-believers to occupy the same station, were the worlds of God to be confined to this ephemeral plane, never would My previous Manifestation have surrendered Himself into the hands of His foes or laid down His life as a sacrifice. I swear by the dawning-light of this Cause that were the people to grasp the barest intimation of the fervour and longing which overcame that sovereign Beauty when His celestial Temple was suspended in the air, all would, in the intensity of their own yearning, offer up their souls in the path of this Manifestation of supernal glory. Indeed, sugar is the portion of the parrot, while dung is the share of the beetle; the crow hath no part in the warbling of the nightingale, and the bat fleeth the rays of the sun."

~ Baha'u'llah

Days of Remembrance | Bahá’í Reference Library

6. arthra

arthra Baha'i

An excerpt from the Súriy-i-Aḥzán (Súrih of Sorrows) revealed by Baha'u'llah reads:

"Would that I had never been, and that My mother had never borne Me! Would that I had never heard of that which befell Him at the hands of those who worshipped the Names of God and yet slew Him Who is their Author, their Creator, their Fashioner, and their Revealer! Woe betide them for following the promptings of self and passion, and for committing that which caused the Maids of Heaven to faint away in their celestial chambers and the Spirit to cover its face in the dust by reason of that which these wolves have inflicted upon the Lord of Lords. All things weep at the tears I shed for Him; all things lament at the sighs I uttered over Our separation. Such indeed is My sorrow that the melodies of eternity can no longer flow from My lips, nor can the breezes of the spirit waft from My heart. And had I not sought to protect Myself, My body would have been cleft asunder and My life extinguished. …"

Read more of the Surih of Sorrows at
    Days of Remembrance | Bahá’í Reference Library

7. Cino

So after the martyrdom of the Bab, the Babi/Bayani groups were without a leader? How long did it take for a succession to form? Baha'u'llah was imprisoned as well, around that time, I believe?

This is one of the many areas where my knowledge about the Baha'i religion is rather patchy. How did "the mantle" pass on from the Bab to end up with Baha'u'llah? Were there intermediaries in the leadership?

Maybe I'm thinking too much of how the Christian church developed out of the aftermath of the crucifixion.

8. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Thanks for posting Cino…!

I've been a bit busy of late with the Holy Day and just noticed your post!

One of summaries online you can check is at

http://bahai-library.com/encyclopedia_history

In general though let me respond: There were persecutions of the followers of the Bab from the beginning and these included martyrdoms and imprisonments.
    Nabil's Narrative the Dawn Breakers has documented many of these...

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/nz/DB/

After the martyrdom of the Bab in 1850 there was an abortive attempt on the life of the Shah around 1853 which prompted mass imprisonments. Baha'u'llah was imprisoned in the Siyyah Chal a pit in Tehran and later exiled to Baghdad. During His imprisonment in Tehran He had a spiritual experience and became aware of His mission. He went into seclusion awhile in Kurdistan and after returning to Baghdad He was summoned to Istanbul by the Sultan and announced that He was "Him Whom God would make manifest" as promised by the Bab. Most Babis recognized His claim.. this was in 1863.

A general summary of the life of Baha'u'llah can be found at

https://www.bahaullah.org/

9. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

This source says:

The Bábí movement was crushed; its leading figures were mostly dead; the remnant of its followers were either driven underground or into exile. It appeared that nothing would remain of the movement. Crucial to the survival of the movement was the small band of Bábí refugees that now gathered in Baghdad (q.v.), which lay in the territory of the Ottoman Empire. Among these was Mírzá Husayn`Alí Núrí Bahá'u'lláh (q.v.). Another was Mírzá Yahyá Subh-i-Azal (q.v.), Bahá'u'lláh's half-brother, who claimed the leadership of the Bábí community on account of a letter of authority that had been sent to him by the Báb. But Azal proved ineffective as a leader and it was Bahá'u'lláh, over the course of a decade, who assumed the effective leadership and sought to raise the morale of and reorganize the Bábí community both in Baghdad and throughout Iran.
    The Bab discusses the leadership of his community in one of his untranslated works called Panj Sha'n. According to Nader Saiedi's partial translations, the Bab wrote:

"This, verily, is that which We promised thee, ere the moment We answered thy call. Wait thou until nine will have elapsed from the time of the Bayan. Then exclaim: 'Blessed be God, the most excellent of Makers!' We also answered aforetime, that ever the year Ta (9), it behooveth that two signs from the past, revealed by God in the Book, would be manifested in the year Vav (6). One of them is the prophet Yahya (John), and the other is the Son of Ali, the true and exalted Imam."
    The Bab goes on to tell the individual he is addressing to obey the outward leader while seeking the hidden leader until the year 9, when the Promised One would reveal Himself. Note Baha'u'llah identifies himself as the Son of Ali.

For a more detailed explanation I suggest reading the last chapter in Gate of the Heart: Understanding the Writings of the Bab.

10. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

See above info.