Well Done That Man... Bravo!

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Namaste Jesus, Jul 11, 2019 at 5:17 AM.

1. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

From Retired Home Depot co-founder Bernie Marcus:

“I woke up this morning thinking it was going to be another great day. I've been celebrating with friends, family and the community since I turned 90. I've told you about the gracious gift of $117 million that was collected and given in my honor to four charities that mean a lot to me. All that happiness blew up because I said in a newspaper interview that I have supported and will continue to support Donald Trump.

Boom! Negative stories... vicious threats, without cause, to boycott the company that has enabled my foundation to give billions to support autism, medical research, education, heart and neurological issues like stroke, and to help our veterans. The company that I retired from in 2002 and have not had a business relationship with in almost 20 years. A company that has employed more than a half-million people. The people who work there are affiliated with both political parties or no party at all. They are of all religions and all colors and backgrounds. Why would people want to hurt them? All because I give my voice and some of my money to our President. Am I in China? Argentina? Russia?

That's what it feels like to me. It saddens me that our country has come to this, where I, as a private citizen, cannot express my feelings. It angers me and it saddens me, but it sure as hell is not going to stop me. If you thought it would, you've got the wrong guy. In the next ten years, God willing, I will accomplish more to save this world than my critics will do even if they had forty lifetimes.”
    "We aren't sure what other 90-year-olds are having a similar week to Marcus’. But, it’s not hard to see what drove his success — he doesn't take any BS."

Brian Sozzi Editor-at-Large Yahoo Finance

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 5:26 AM
    Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  2. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

So the calls to boycott the company he founded are stupid. They struck a nerve with him, nevertheless! Nothing like a self-righteous rich old man who can't handle criticism. Here he is, saving the world, and look at those ungrateful people who don't agree with his political views...

He comes across like some people I know, so I'm not exactly a bystander.

OTOH I hope we all get to be 90 and party hard! And if complaining about the youngsters is part of the fun, I hope we will do it with style.

To end on an even more positive note: Not taking any BS, that's a good takeaway - thanks for this, NJ!

3. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

I'm sorry it turned out so bad for him, but that's freedom of speech no? I don't know why anyone would think that the consumers are attempting to punish the employees, that's a weird take away, no?

The guy expressed his political views, and the consumers expressed theirs. Again, it's very unfortunate that it will likely play out on innocent bystanders.

4. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

Good bloke. Reminds me of my own dad and grand. Neither of them took much guff off anybody either. No matter your feelings on the US President, calling for the boycott of a business a 90 year old man is no longer even affiliated with, insulting and threatening him to boot just because he happens to support someone you don't, is way over the top. Good on him for speaking up.

Namaste Jesus and Craz like this.
  5. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

What :mad: me off is that the ones boycotting Home Depot aren't hurting him; they're hurting the people working for the company.

Anyway, would they boycott the places that he supports, especially if they have a loved one dealing with the sh!t that the foundations work on? I have a heart condition and wil had a fooking stroke this year; at least two members have relatives in the military. We actually benefit from the foundations this man supports.

We might not agree with this man's politics, but who the fook does 100% of the time?

I'll be with the :kitty: delegation in the Mope Corner. :mad:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

6. A Cup Of Tea

It's worth noting that the previous supporters of his foundation likely turned to similar charities, and not that they stopped supporting causes they cared about out of spite.

7. Namaste Jesus

Besides the point entirely. Suppose they had insulted, threatened and called for the boycott of organizations Mr. Marcus supports because he came out as transgender rather than merely voicing his political views? How much worth would the likelihood of his supporters turning to similar organizations have then? Bottom line, you don't defame someone and seek to destroy everything they've ever been affiliated with just because they voiced an opinion you happen to disagree with. Quite foolhardy. What of the thousands that depend on those organizations for their livelihood, goods and services? What's their worth?

8. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

Why limit it to transgender? Hell, Pence comes to mind when discussing LGBT+ stuff (he actually supports electroshock therapy to "cure' homosexuality!) :mad:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

9. Namaste Jesus

This thread is not about LGBT or rants about the current administration. Just gave transgender as an example to show how opinions can change in different scenarios.

10. wil

wil UNeyeR1

The thread is specifically about protests of a man who is providing millions of dollars of support to the current administration. That and ONLY that is what the boycotts are about. Saying he does other good deeds isn't the point. He chose to put all his company and charity work at risk.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019 at 12:09 AM
  11. Namaste Jesus

Yes, Mr. Marcus supports our President as do many from all walks of life. So what? Not everyone sees things the same way. That's why we have elections, but by no means does that justify vicious threats and calls to boycott a company the man's not even currently involved with. As Mr. Marcus points out, those Home Depot employs represent many different ethnicities and political points of view. No, Mr. Marcus did not chose to put his former company and foundations at risk. He merely truthfully answered an interviewers question, acknowledging his support of our President.

12. wil

wil UNeyeR1

If he was not fully aware of potential repercussions that would be in him.

But yes, here in america we vote in the booth and with our wallets.and we are all free to choose not to support the likes of yuengling, home depot, and chikafila based on where our dollars end up...

13. A Cup Of Tea

I'm sure this happens all the time, it is the nature of economics.
    I don't understand.
    And I don't think the bulk of these reactions intend to destroy or threaten. You use several different words as if they are synonymous with each other, which makes discussing this impossible.
    1. Boycotting. They spend their money somewhere else. Perfectly valid action, no?
    2. Insulted. I don't know what you are referring to so we might disagree on the specifics, but no I don't support this.
    3. Threaten. Not ok. Unless you are drawing some parallel with "threatening to spend their money elsewhere", which I'm fine with.
    4. Defame. Not sure what this is about.
    5. Destroy. I'm sure there are people who want to destroy things that are affiliated with Trump. We can discuss this specifically if you want.
    But the group as a whole does not do/want all these things. Can we agree on this?
    I already answered this, but feel free to reject my answer.

14. Namaste Jesus

Tea, everything I said and the words I used were all inferred by Mr Marcus' statement re-posted in the OP.

Worth, your word not mine. I assume sarcastically speaking you said,

"It's worth noting that the previous supporters of his foundation likely turned to similar charities..."

I was simply asking, rhetorically speaking, if you'd feel the same way if Mr. Marcus were being called out for reasons other than his political position.

Boycotting throughout history has certainly proven useful, but that's not what this is about. Especially when, Mr Marcus is not even currently affiliated with the business in question. Serves no purpose to boycott Home Depot and only affects the people who work there and the customers who depend on their goods and services.

The only reason Mr Marcus was targeted is because of his political position and IMHO he was perfectly right to respond in the way that he did.

I started this thread in praise of Bernie Marcus for standing up to, let's call it what it is, "Anti Trump Bullying" nothing more, nothing less. So I say again, Bravo Mr Marcus, Bravo!

Sorry if you and others see things differently, but that's my position and I'll leave it at that.

15. A Cup Of Tea

Indeed, and I don't know what those entail, do it would be dumb of me to comment on that.

I don't know why that would be sarcastic?
    They funded his foundation because they believed in the work they did, yes? But when it's linked, very loosely, to politics they are vehemently opposed they will likely fund a similar foundation which is not, loosely, connected to those politics, no?

But that is clearly ignorance on their part, not spite? "We know this won't change anything but we just want the employees to suffer" is a very dark assumption to make.

Yes, he is the target because of his politics. No one is arguing anything else.
    He is free to respond however he likes. I question his, and your, assumptions and conclusions.

Why should you apologize for that!?

16. wil

wil UNeyeR1

I look at it this way. Epstein probably did some good things...but his child molestations trump whatever good deeds...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019 at 1:00 AM
  17. Namaste Jesus

My bad there. I guess I misread your original statement.
    I didn't. Meant sorrowful in a sympathetic way. As in, sorry to hear that.

A Cup Of Tea likes this.
  18. JJ50

JJ50 Member

Anyone who supports that evil racist in the White House is crazy, imo.

19. A Cup Of Tea

Whoa, let's turn it down a bit!
    This is a place for discussion, no hate. If it's hard not to act out, I recommend that you step away for a while. That sort of language won't lead anywhere good.

20. A Cup Of Tea

I don't think we have that. Someone once said that Swedes are very literal when talking about expressions like "How are you".