Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Namaste Jesus, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

Ok, so the other day I turn on the big screen and get sound, but no picture. Turn it off/on again, same thing. None to happy about that since the set's not quite 4 years old. Out of warranty though, so what are you going to do?

Anyway, grabbed a flashlight and held it close to the screen. Discovered there is in fact a picture, it's just not lighting up. That tells me the main board is ok and the fault is either the LED controller or the LED's themselves. So I open the set up to investigate further. Tracked the problem down to the LED controller which is built into the power board on that set, but not all that difficult to replace.

So I ordered the part and figured I'd bring the set down from the bedroom until that arrives. Two problems. For one, it's a much smaller screen. Hard for me to see clearly from where I usually sit. For another, that set doesn't have the best tuner in the world. Only receives a few stations. That's a big deal for us since I refuse to pay for cable.

Ok, so this is all starting to turn into one huge pain in the backside, then I discover something that made the whole experience seem worthwhile. In the ten years we've owned our home, we've been trying to get someone to take down a 54 foot ham radio tower attached to our house. However, due to trees and other obstacles, no one's been willing to do that. Today I'm outside trying to tie off errant coaxial cables hanging from the 6 antennas attached to the damn thing, so they won't clang about in the wind. That's when I get the bright idea to hook one of them to my TV.

Dang!!! 100% TV signal and umpteen stations from 2 major cities! Can't wait to fix our big screen. Kinda glad it broke now! :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    StevePame likes this.
  2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Antenna is the way to go, stations cable never heard of.

3. Namaste Jesus

My homemade indoor antenna worked fine with the big screen, but not with our small bedroom TV. Ten years we've had this big hawking ham radio tower attached to the house and never knew the antennas affixed to it could grab an HDTV signal. From damn near 40 miles away no less!

4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Did you not notice the mast when you bought the house? :D

I've got a Yaesu FT101 sw radio tucked away in the attic somewhere, had big ideas to get a license and become a radio ham, but they never came to fruition. Settled to the most outrageously illegal (UK) CB radio instead, sitting in the car, nattering away until 4.00am and the decision to buy a powersupply and a base-station antennae.

Those coax cables must be fun, eh? Reminds me of sleeping on a yacht, listening to the halyard slapping on the mast ... soothing, or really annoying, depending on your mood.

5. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Had a ham radio in the house we rented in Talkeetna Alaska...amazing things they are.

I liked the slap and occasional twang on the tower...

And would be glad to come take yours down NJ! :p

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Careful, NJ, his idea of 'taking things down' is setting them on fire! :D

7. Namaste Jesus

Haha, can't miss it! Former owner was a retired Colonel and I'm told it was put up for him by the military. He died on the lower level of the house at the controls of his beloved radio. Family took all the radio equipment, but left the tower and antennas.
    tower.JPG

StevePame likes this.
  8. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Lol,.I did a double take....what kind of antenna is it with that circular pickup? Had to zoom in to see...

9. Namaste Jesus

That was one of the original Realtor listing pics. The antennas themselves don't even really show. There's 6 beam antennas, a weather vane, a dead rotator and a giant TV antenna in the middle of all that. Was told the lead for the TV antenna had broken off, so I never tried to hook it up. When I was trying to tie off all the cables yet again, I noticed the TV antenna moving. Apparently, it has a dual feed and one of the leads was still good. So I put a new jack on the end and voila. Bunches and bunches of channels!

10. Namaste Jesus

Ah, power board I ordered arrived today. Works but, apparently the old one took out some of the LED strips when it went south. Either that or the LED strips took out the PB when they went south. Either way, if you add up the cost of replacing them, combined with the time it takes and the aggravation involved, might as well just get a new set. Silver lining there is, Labor Day Sales! and I should be able to recoup most of my investment, parting out the old set. :)

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1

I haven't repaired a TV since the days of pulling off the back and taking the tubes in a shoebox in my bike basket and riding to the testing machine in the back of the pharmacy

Some sort of junkyard online you can sell electronics?

12. Namaste Jesus

I remember that! TV's are actually much simpler now than they use to be. 3 circuit boards and a bank of LED strips.
    Yeah, it's called eBay! :D

wil likes this.