what is the purpose of enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by KnowSelf, Oct 23, 2019.

1. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Why is enlightenment important to the few or maybe to the multitudes? Either way, what drives the enlightened to be enlightened? Knowing yourself to the infinite detail is not good enough, only when we embrace life and self as one is to the other without difference are we able to imagine true enlightenment.

Self-centeredness disrupts the natural flow of life like a stone in running water. The trick is being the water and not the stone. When we are in pain or depressed our force becomes dense thereby slowing the body down and obstructing the energy of life all around.

Have you noticed when you have a good day everything seems to fall into place? That is because you are in tune or synchronized as one with life, more so when you are not. It is all very simple.

2. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Is being in the flow the same thing as enlightenment, then?

Do you lose enlightenment when you hit an obstruction?

To rephrase your question a little, what is the purpose of the obstructions? Is it the same as the purpose of enlightenment?

3. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Maybe the purpose of adversity is to utilize tools for overcoming adversity create personal growth and understanding. I consider time and life/living similarly as a means of vibration in sync with time/life

Craz likes this.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Where d'you stand on the Beatitudes then?

I think Enlightenment is like Catch 22.

5. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

in what way Catch 22? damned if you damned if you don't? please explain.

6. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Jesus proclaimed the Beatitudes as a promise of hope for the weary and downtrodden. At a very dark time in my life hope did not exist, I felt no love, only despair and pain. The Beatitudes offers hope and the promise of a greater day. Therapeutic, or is something at play here?

7. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

There's a famous story from the Japanese swordsmanship tradition.

A student turns up at the master's doorstep. "I need you to train me. How long will it take?"
    "Five years."
    "What if I train twice as hard for twice as long?"
    "Ten years."

There's a very real idea that if you seek/want/pursue enlightenment, you're not gonna get it. You're driven by the ego, responding to impulses that actually stand in the way. That's why enlightenment in the west has become a 'thing', something to be sought, acquired ... with shelves full of short-cut, quick-fix ...

I really don't think it is. Only among a certain social strata ... I think "I'm spiritual but not religious" types make much more of it than the religious do. I doubt people enter monasteries in pursuit of enlightenment.

There is no purpose to adversity. There just is ... we live in an increasingly more fragile, contingent world.

In the Beatitudes, Jesus proclaimed the weak, the poor, the weary, the downtrodden ... they were blessed, and I would rather blessedness than enlightenment.

Cino and RJM Corbet like this.
  8. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

☆☆☆☆☆

9. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

The poor, the weary and downtrodden are blessed is antonym to. the parable of the rich man who has everything is able to enter heaven like a camel through the eye of a needle. Perhaps Jesus taught the Beatitudes under the proclamation of hope or in a sense don't rock the boat, stay in your caste, don't cause trouble because one day you will be rewarded for meekness, Meek (adj) very shy: compliant.
    Psa. 14:6 The Lord lifteth up the meek: he casteth the wicked down to the ground.
    Prov. 14:29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding.

I understand the two versus above as an indication not to lose one's cool or temper resulting from conflict. To lose one's cool may lead to mismanaged anger and irrational behavior causing harm to self and others. This type of temperament is irradict and undisciplined, not at all in the realm of Jesus teachings. Not meaning to sound preachy, but my understanding of Jesus is he is. the doorway to forgiveness and salvation and ultimately to God.

It is curious, being one with God there is no fear or worry of things yet to come. Peace and contentment prevails, I say and do whatever I please and I am happy. My life is not easy, but perspective makes life meaningful and productive.

10. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

I believe the irony is that "the ego" is never going to possess enlightenment, it is never going to be the enlightened one illumines the world. Rather, the "light" of enlightenment illumines the ego along with everything else, and "the ego" is revealed for what it is, usually to its immense discomfort, until it lets go, which is a great relief. That's what I believe is the case.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  11. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Yep I agree we find difficulty in letting go of self (because it is not known yet) replacing our stuff with something yet determined. Faith strong belief in something that cannot be seen or touched, without tangible proof of existence