I'm looking for enlightenment

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by KnowSelf, Oct 24, 2019.

1. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

I'm looking for enlightenment will someone open my eyes? Sounds funny doesn't it? We cannot give Enlightenment away, but small glimpses enlightenment appear every moment of each day as each thread of thought touches us in marvelous ways.

2. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Not necessarily someone, either. The author of a Christian commentary on the Tarot, the man intended to be the next head of Rudolf Steiner organisation, had an epiphany looking at a stained glass window and converted to Catholicism. Cardinal Avery Dulles had his watching a rose bloom through a rain-stained window. Bishop Kallistos Ware of the Orthodox Church had his when he heard an Orthodox choir singing.

The actor Sir Alec Guinness had his filming in France. He was walking back from the set to the house he had rented, still in costume, dressed as a priest. A little boy appeared on the road, held in hand and chatted away as they walked along. Sir alec had no idea what he was saying, but was struck by such simplicity, faith and trust – I've heard people respond with snarky comments about Catholic priests and little boys, but that misses the point entirely, doesn't it?

Absolutely. We can open doors for each other in more ways that one ...

KnowSelf likes this.
  3. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

What do you suppose happened to the above mentioned people? Were they touched by God? If so why them and not more people?

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Converting to Catholicism is enlightenment?

5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Beyond my pay grade :D

That's rather poetic way of putting it, a phrase that can neither be affirmed nor denied. It's not one I care to use, so I can't really say.

I look at it more as a glimpse of the sublime, perhaps the numinous.

Why are people the way they are?

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour
    Auguries of Innocence BY William Blake

Why doesn't everyone see that?

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

We use the term 'enlightenment' as if it were a thing, a goal, the object of some endeavour, an achievement.

That's really not quite right. It's all part and parcel of the western mindset to quantify, define and categorise.

Who is enlightened? Who isn't? In regard to what?

It's a dynamic process, a continuum. Even the most enlightened wo/man is in the dark to some degree.

That's the real 'going beyond', the real 'dark night of the soul' when you keep going, in the face of nothing.

StevePame and Cino like this.
  7. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Spiritual Materialism. Taking the poetic language of things, goals, endeavours, achievements, literally. Literalist understanding (of texts, of concepts) in general is a hallmark of materialism...

I like these questions! However, are you aware that there are real-life neo-advaita teachers who use these verbatim in their satsangs? Ironic, isn't it?

Well said, amen to that.