What do you DO to help your neighbor?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by juantoo3, Oct 24, 2019.

1. juantoo3

juantoo3 ....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

Let’s see if we can redirect some of the animus.

Everybody has a right to an opinion, but what do you DO to help your neighbor? What do you DO unto others that you would have done unto yourself?

From the other thread:
    I work in the medical field. I spent ten years on the hospital wards, helping sick and dying people every work day.

Now I manage a government program that assists people. I helped a man yesterday ate up with cancer. He was one of about 30 that passed across my desk yesterday alone, I stopped counting long ago. I have a list in front of me with about 200 people wanting assistance and need to be acted on and more will be added today. There are over a thousand in process of being helped on that same list. The list never ends. These are people in personal tragedy that I *DO* something to help, that's my job. I have 1200 plus and counting people as of this moment I am DOING something to help with their personal tragedies.

My office was recognized recently for being one of the most productive and efficient in the entire nation for what I do. We are responsible for somewhere between 8 and 9 percent of all exams done, out of 72 offices across the nation...do the math. I help people.

What do you DO to help people with their tragedies? What do you DO to help the family distraught over the 17 year old daughter's suicide? What do you DO to help the family whose 6 year old was shot to death sitting on the couch watching cartoons by gang bangers shooting up the neighborhood? What do you DO for the family of the 16 year old boy who overdosed on his Grandmother's pain pills? What do you personally DO to help people like this?

I observe the words of St Francis:

Lord, give me

The Serenity to accept the things I cannot change

The Courage to change the things I can

And the Wisdom to know the difference

----

Instead of what you think or what you believe, how about what do you DO to put those thoughts and beliefs into ACTION?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. earl

earl ?

Well Juan, I retired 7 months ago after spending 40 years of service in community mental health.

juantoo3 likes this.
  3. juantoo3

Good start.

Any more?

4. earl

earl ?

Juan, I got you by 30 years.:p But, seriously, do you think there is some relationship about what we do for a living and "what kind of person" we are? Is this going to be some sort of competition thread to detail all the good we've done in life? Sheesh.:rolleyes:

StevePame and Cino like this.
  5. juantoo3

22 years if anyone is counting, I still have about 5 to retire. Late start.

It isn't a competition, but it is telling who contributes to society, and who sits back and whines without contributing...

6. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

So one earns whining credits by doing social work?

7. juantoo3

I suppose in a sense. Someone's griping carries more weight in my estimation if they actually contribute to solving problems, rather than sitting back and being the problem and complaining things aren't going their way.

And we're back to Orwell and Rand.

8. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

That's all well and good of curse, but like you say, it's your job. The one you're paid to do. Virtually every way of earning a living there is, benefits others in some way. Be it offering goods or a much needed service and indeed the taxes collected from such endeavors, help to enable government programs such as the one you're charged with to exist.

What we do as individuals, however good would not be possible if not for the contributions of others. Those supplying electricity for the lights and equipment in your office, tech support when things go awry, right down to the bloke that maintains whatever conveyance you use to get to work. All had a hand in providing for the well being of those you serve, giving them no less entitlement to gripe when the need arises.

As to the topic, when I think of helping my neighbor, I think in simple terms. Things done to lessen another's burden, rather than those things I'm paid to do or any grand gesture. Simple acts of kindness we expect nothing in return for or feel the need to brag about. Just things we do to let others know we care. Things like that give all of us the strength to go on and remind us we're not alone in this world and someone really does care. That to me is helping my neighbor and indeed giving them the incentive to help themselves and others on down the line.

RJM, Namaste Jesus and juantoo3 like this.
  9. juantoo3

Very good, you are on the path I was pointing to.

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Shades of Reason

The abc's of the 123's …

I do the best I can with what I've been blessed with, which amounts to passion, a care for all, a mission, a cause, and a vocation I take seriously. I have great teachers who guide me, I have very little otherwise, aside from my zeal. I was once asked this: Have you counted the cost? I dedicate my life to why that was asked. I'm human, I regret not being able to see loved one's as much as I'd like, but when you're called, you either choose to answer that call or not. Have you counted the cost? Sometimes the hardest thing in life is to be honest and truthful, but once you are a way is opened that becomes difficult to turn from. The reason for this is: A person typically won't want to after the fact, but then there are so many who come against those who honor life, and truth, and the way that guides me today. It's a damn fine and rewarding vocation, but not without great hardship.

What do I DO? The same I do here. I stick to the truth and live my life the best I'm able in any given situation.

11. Gatekeeper

Another question would be: "Why?"

12. Gatekeeper

In this ever changing world in which we live in, and because of present realities and past realities, there are things in life which some may disagree with. For example: The necessity of being able to pursue happiness, the freedom of expression, and things that in the end, will help the all encompassing many. I for one take my vocation very seriously. Here's a scene that explains certain vocations that some may disagree with, much like some disagree with adult films, and strippers, and prostitution. Likewise, some disagree with military efforts even when life and liberty are on the line.