Does any belief system outside of Christianity offer total forgiveness?

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by KnowSelf, Dec 2, 2019.

1. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

The foundation of Christianity is forgiveness of sins and restitution unto God. Sin divided man from God and Jesus came to restore communion between God and man. Jesus a perfect man must die and overcome death, metaphor for sin or detachment from God.

I am reminded of Moses who could not bear to witness God and all His glory. When Moses descended from the mountain, the people turned away from the glory that shined from Moses face after being in the presence of God. God is.

When I was saved 2005, I changed. Between 1974-2005 mental illness controlled every aspect of my life. I isolated myself from everybody and everything. I was addicted to nicotine and I was a pill popper. Due to certain psychotropic medications I weighed a hefty 351 lbs and a size 52 pants. I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and almost died.

March 2005, I overdosed on prescription drugs and herbal supplements and was later committed into the local psychiatric ward of a nearby hospital. Between the hospitalization and the overdose , a force led me to the bathroom where I disrobed and my shower at the front and exited at the rear of the shower curtain. That's it, except it was at Easter time that this transpired.

After 15 days of committed hospitalization I somehow how to get well and productive again. First I volunteered at a local library, three months later I became gainfully employed after 34 years of isolation. I got down to 200 lbs, gained 20 since then and I have a Bachelors degree in Community & Human Services.

I changed and God made it possible.

2. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Thanks for sharing.

Did you ask for forgiveness, in that moment at the shower curtain?

While I think that sin and forgiveness are important topics in Christianity, I can assert that other world views, even secular ones, offer similar ways out of the self-dug hole to anyone who earnestly asks for outside help in acknowledging one's inability to help oneself.

3. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

I do not recall much about that day, however, after discharge from the hospital I offered myself to God in accordance to His will whatever it may be. I thought God wanted me in the ministry like my father and great grandfather. After three years study in bible college God led me away from ministry work to Human Services.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  4. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Being forgiven is one thing. Being able to forgive myself is quite another?

Someone says: "No, it's ok." But I know it never will be really. The damage is done. The bullet left the gun? Time can't reverse it?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  5. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Yeah it's rough. A few years back I went through a restitution stage in which I tried to resolve my past with people I caused harm to. Some didn't care while others claimed innocents on my behalf. The mind is a wonderful machine for inflicting internal and external pain, that's not the wonderful part, the mind can also be healed if you are so inclined.
    Maybe you are not ready to give up your pain and move on? Sometimes pain is the only thing we relate to, because happiness requires effort.

6. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Isn't forgiveness about just these things that cannot be undone?

If I can't forgive myself, isn't that yet another thing where I need to admit my powerlessness and ask for help?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    RJM Corbet and KnowSelf like this.
  7. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

I related the story of my inability to forgive my father, it wasn't until the passing of my mother who days latter sent a sign in the image of 1111 and my desire to forgive my father based on the number sequence 1111. I can't explain it but after years of resentment toward my father the both of us were set free.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  8. RJM Corbet

I can say I was young then, or I didn't understand at the time. I did not realise the consequences. I acted selfishly but not maliciously, etc.

Perhaps I was gripped by addiction. But the damage is still done -- often to the most innocent and to those who love me most?

I believe this is the heartbreak of purgatory? It takes a long time to work through it. Amends have to be made. The trust of others has to be gradually won back and restored?

KnowSelf and Cino like this.
  9. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Do you know how the other party feels about you? I mentioned resolving old wounds, I found out that I was making more out of my transgression than the people I thought caused harm to. Maybe my situation is similar to yours, not in context but in the sense of inner forgiveness and the ability to move on.

If you able I suggest complete honesty with the other party and see where that leads you. At least by trying, you made the effort to resolve the relationship. If by chance the worst happens, you tried and hopefully able to come to peace over the situation. Honesty will set you free. Chances are, you're not the person you were before. My prayers are with you.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    RJM Corbet likes this.
  10. RJM Corbet

Thank you. That is very kind. Wise words.

I believe the hymn Amazing Grace
    https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/
    was written by a slave trader who found Christ.

I don't know if it's true, but point is that remains that even when forgiven by God, there must still be a lot of horror at the irreperable damage caused to innocent people, and the wish to make whatever restitution possible?

Perhaps forgiveness does not just wipe clean the slate? It is perhaps just the start of a process?

Something along the lines?

11. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

If forgiveness is a process at least that's a start. I do not believe God forgets, however, forgiveness means to make it as it was before, no longer accountable for the infraction, you are not accountable, you are forgiven.

"Perhaps forgiveness does not just wipe clean the slate? True, if that is what you believe. I believe God forgives all I choose for him to forgive. Partial forgiveness occurs when I all I want is partial forgiveness do you understand what I am saying? You are responsible for God's forgiveness in you.