Christian worship service

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by KnowSelf, Dec 15, 2019.

1. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Active Member

A religion?
    Nay! It is mankind who squabble over who is "in command".

Depends what it's criteria's are .. what its motives are. Nothing in this world is perfect due to our weaknesses,
    but evil cannot be left unchecked.

Is it? Govt. is about people .. religion is about the Divine.

Trailblazer likes this.
  2. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Ok. But from your comments I conclude you believe your own religion is the perfect and correct one to govern the whole human race?

The Bahai believe it is their religion would best do the job.

I differ, and although I grant both of you the right to believe and practice as you see fit, I have no interest in adopting your own religious beliefs. Nor in promoting my own religion to a world government theocracy. I would fiercely resist the idea.

So where do we go from here?

3. RJM Corbet

Let God decide about the rest of the world. Practice your own faith and look after your own children and community. Leave the rest of us alone. Imo

4. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Oh, come on.

But for the sake of playing along: bottle feeding works well, both with infant milk/formula and pumped human milk. My child who was bottle fed grew into an intelligent, able bodied adult, if you want first hand anecdotal evidence.
    There are ways to approach the challenge of raising a child which do not require mothers to be full time caretakers and fathers to be full-time wage earners. Don't Baha'is follow the progress of social development that took place since the 1950s? Are they really stuck in time as you seem to imply? I ask because it has been my impression that Baha'is tend to be very much into social progress.

No, I have a more nuanced view. But as part of that, I do think that the relatively recent progress in freedom and equality and solidarity really is progress, from a worse society to a better one, and so I really think that excluding women from the universal House of Justice is a throw back, a regression, a set back, a loss of something important and valuable.

Edited to add: this is how your faith is perceived by me, from the outside. Telling us non-believers "it is not what it looks like", is not very useful. If you don't want to let it stand like that, saying "You have prejudices" doesn't help much.

Trailblazer is a psychologist, isn't she? What is her opinion about the kind of communication where you invalidate someone's perceptions rather than responding to them?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  5. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Um..err...yay? (Should be.,DOH!!)

Cino likes this.
  6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Let?

RJM Corbet likes this.
  7. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Baha'ism supports the essential worth of all religions and the unity and equality of all people. Given the historical conflict of religion through the ages, it is difficult to imagine theological practices of unification.
    Another question regarding Baha'ism is forgiveness and salvation? Are they the same as in Christianity? How is it different?

I have a personal relationship with God, and although I may not see His true form i feel Him in me. I act on His behalf without fear or intimidation. Do you feel the same way with Bahal'?

Is there a ritual regarding the acceptance of Bahal converts?

You mentioned meeting other members of Bahal' in forums, but not in attendance of worship services at temples? Do you miss the social aspect of group worship services?

Curious, does Bahal use the elements of communion, wine, bread/blood, body of Christ?

8. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

What's amiss? I think they want to talk about their faith, which is part of interfaith dialogue, and once they get used to the vibe of this forum, the discussions will probably become more fun.

Sorry for having hijacked your thread.

9. RJM Corbet

You may have missed the posts where @Trailblazer explained their friendship, which they have developed on other forums? Nothing sinister, lol. I am enjoying their posts, and the debate they open up.

10. Truthseeker9

Truthseeker9 Active Member

This is the quote that you didn't see earlier

11. Truthseeker9

The message just appeared to the viewers and now they won't see it. I just tried to reply to the message so that they could see but once again it said it was invisible to normal members. What can I do? I don't like this system. I think you should put the post visible later in the order so people can see it.

12. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

Not really the details I was hoping for, but you don't always get what you want! Thanks for sharing what you have.

Hehe, well there's a difference between us, to me people are mostly illogical most of the time. My time is spent navigating this madness! But there is some beauty to it as well.

RJM Corbet and Cino like this.
  13. RJM Corbet

The post will be visible after moderator clearance by @StevePame, I believe. But Steve is in America, so there's the time lag. It is very frustrating, and it skews the debate.

Please be patient until the filters are lifted and your comments and links automatically get the green light. I am not a moderator, and I don't like the system much either. But it seems to be the only way because this is a small site and @StevePame has a busy day job. Only last week the filters were lifted to accommodate a new member who seemed a bit radical but generally ok -- and he immediately started posting anti-Jewish hate links.

The filters are activated by certain words and phrases, only the moderator knows what they may be. Apparently some of the stuff is incredibly bad and nasty. You are already a valuable member. I hope the filters are lifted soon for your content. We don't want to lose you @Truthseeker9
    Best wishes
    :)

Cino likes this.
  14. Truthseeker9

All men being on the Universal of Justice is not a set back in freedom and equality and solidarity. We believe in all those things, as shown by other things we've said. It's just that the UHJ is all men. I don't understand why you fixate on that so much and exclude everything else we've said. As I said in a Baha'i world women are free to do what they want, except be elected to the UHJ. How can that be a bad world? Try to be more utilitarian and not so ideological.

Trailblazer likes this.
  15. Truthseeker9

No, you won't lose me, but I am frustrated.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  16. RJM Corbet

@Cino is always a strong supporter of women's rights, lol.

However at risk of labouring the point, the big issue is not with the Bahai religion, but with the political aspect of aiming to establish a world government that follows Bahai principles.

The mission statement that you posted earlier is impossibly idealistic to outsiders:
    It is fine to talk this kind of stuff, but how to get it done and how to protect fine ideas from the nasty folks who are always looking for the gap? Idealism is fine. But to people like me it's just pipe dreams. No offence.

So while Bahai's stated aim and mission is world government, suspicions by non-members will continue, imo?

17. RJM Corbet

Good. Hang in there for now ...

18. RJM Corbet

I need to emphasise again that, from an outsider's perspective, although you Bahai guys sincerely believe your own religion is the best one to rule the whole world, a lot of other folks disagree. We have our own ideas, secular democracy being one. That's where the rubber hits the road?

19. wil

wil UNeyeR1

So confused. Doesn't everyone believe their religion , or lack thereof, is the best and that's why they're in it?

20. RJM Corbet

Yes. But that doesn't give anyone the right -- obligation even -- to mission to merge the church and state? The separation of church and state is a hard won freedom.