God is known for His sense of Humor

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by KnowSelf, Mar 2, 2020.

1. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Tell God something funny

2. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

God's already heard the joke about the ...

Craz likes this.
  3. OrtaYol

OrtaYol Active Member

Well I don't know about telling God something funny but once or twice He has shared a joke with me. :)

4. Beautiful

Beautiful Active Member

You weren't expecting this, huh?

5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

"Hey, I have an idea... "

StevePame likes this.
  6. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Meh. If stories like Job or Pandora are any indication, then divine humor is something to be wary of.

KnowSelf likes this.
  7. stranger

stranger lost in the night

"God, you can't do that, just stay in the box and pop out when I give you the cue."

8. Craz

Craz Active Member

9. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Craz and Beautiful like this.
  10. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Craz and wil like this.
  11. Beautiful

Beautiful Active Member

There is nothing to be wary about but one's own defilements. Only from the inside does corruption arise.

12. Beautiful

Beautiful Active Member

The experience of Divine humor fundamentally revolves around this eternal game in which consciousness plays hide and seek with itself. All the jokes go back to this. This is understood as Illussion, as 'the snake in the string,' or hinted in jesus' saying 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven,' etc.

There is nothing inherintly funny in peak-a- boo or hide and seek as understood from the adult mind frame. It is only enjoyable in another state of consciousness, a sort of divine playfulness (In life all is play; all life is play. In life all is buisness; all life is buisness) ying yang, water and fire, wind and earth, male and female, funny and serious: eternal complementary values are the rise of emptiness into dynamism. Form, emptiness. Emptiness, form.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    stranger and Cino like this.
  13. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

The closing chapter of Mark Twain's "Mysterious Stranger" is quite funny and expresses the peek-a-boo aspect well, I feel.

StevePame and Beautiful like this.
  14. Beautiful

Beautiful Active Member

@Cino

omg I have to read that! Mark Twain is amazing! One of the few writers I laugh out loud reading.

One more thing I want to say about this divine humor thing is...in the universe we are all equals more or less. It is a perfect system where we all matter. This makes all other beings who ever existed and will ever exist the only "things" in existence which will understand our existence and what that means. The cosmic brothers, our gardians and angels, these intergalactic beings, the divine humor and divine wisdom, it is born out of the same love which makes mothers love their babies like they have never loved anything ever before just the very second she first places her eyes on the baby. There is no real reason for it. It is beyond reason. It can't be exlplained chemically, because its spiritual. Its a matter of deep affection, destiny, of the perpetuation of the cycle of life, of bringing a new experiencer into the world, of being the bringer of life, gifting life to a new spirit full of potential, of the carrying out of nature's eternal cycle. All our cosmic brothers and sisters, the spirits which want to make us laugh upon our arrival at the Heavenly Plains, they hold on to us just like we hold on to our mothers upon birth, or like going into a party where only one person speaks your language (you would hold on to that person, nurture the relationship.) Its a matter of needing eachother--just like we need water or food, just like man needs woman--likewise we need our cosmic brothers and sisters. Together we spark the flame in order to build a campfire. We all have in common this shared miracle of life, and we help each other in the cosmos. For what reason this deep love and compassion and affection? There is no ultimate root to be found. The mother plays peek-a-boo with the child to make the child laugh. Why does she want to make the child laugh? Cause it will feel good for both of them. Why would sharing laughter feel good for both of them? Because laughing and feeling a connection feels good. It feels good because of physiological reasons. Why do we these physiological responses to these specific emotional responses or specific actions (laughing, looking in the eye)*here we do a phenomenological approach* Well, utimately because of emptiness. Why do babies who our capable of a limited amount of emotions in infancy, so readily laugh? What is this capacity of spirt? Why do people as they age stop laughing as much?

Thanks for the space for rumination. Peace and love.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  15. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

It's the play of Maya, the dance of the veils (not the infernal inversion alluded to by Wilde in his Salomé (Oscar Wilde, 1891)

Or Hosea: "Because Israel was a child, and I loved him: and I called my son out of Egypt" (11:1)

The eternal dance

Something you mentioned at the outset worth comment:
    This is a very difficult concept for people to get their heads round, so imbued are we in the game of profit and loss. It's this principle which highlights the damage inflicted by the Seven Deadly Sins. For so long have we been inculcated by patriarchal hierarchy that tells us unless we are on top of the heap, we are at loss, it's how consumerism works ...

... there are so many spiritual lessons that point to this, you probably have your own abundance. One of the wisest sayings is the housewife/husband's comment: "a place for everything, and everything in its place" — if only we mined that for its spiritual insight!

The point is, that whereas the cosmos is a hierarchy, it's founded on love and delight, the whole for each and every part, and each and every part for the whole. We are each wholly human, and yet each but a small part of the human race, and so it is with the cosmos.

A friend of mine used to work for H.J. Heinz
    The CEO was Jack Something-or-other.
    If you were an exec director, you called his Jack.
    If you were a non-exec, you called him Mr Whatever
    And so it went on down the tree, with 'sir', etc., until the lower branches were you didn't speak to him at all.
    Right at the bottom was the old boy who worked the arm on the entrance/exit from the car park.
    He called him Jack.

Why?

Because Jack at the top has nothing to fear of the old man at the gate.

If only it were Jack all the way down ... if it were not about titles and ranks and positions on the company tree, but love and delight in the other.

+++

There is a parable in Christian Scripture, the parable of the Sower.
    He casts his seeds. Some fall and are eaten by birds. Some fell on stony ground and failed to root. Others fell among thorns and were choked. The remainder fell on good ground, "and they brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, and some thirtyfold."
    I have heard exegetes speak of this in terms of 'you must try harder', the implication being that everyone should bring forth a hundredfold. But there is a more profound insight. That the one who brought forth thirty, and sixty, and a hundred, produced a fullness according to who they were. No-one is at fault, and no-one is looked down upon for being a small part in a big thing.

As the poet said:
    "... God doth not need
    Either man’s work or his own gifts; who best
    Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
    Is Kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
    And post o’er Land and Ocean without rest:
    They also serve who only stand and wait."

In the City of God, in the Cosmos, some are near, and some are far, but none is nearer nor further from God than any other, who stands in her or his own place.

16. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Thomas, I really like what you are saying. It makes perfect sense, why, do you suppose is life not this way? Some people expect to be addressed in high esteem, are they wrong in assuming they deserve this level of respect and hierarchy?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  17. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Of course they are. (1 Reason I never joined the military)

KnowSelf and Cino like this.
  18. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Pride and/or Fear?

If EVERYBODY treated EVERYBODY with respect — no fawning, just the common courtesies — then I think we'd all rub along quite happily.

But we are tribal, we are hierarchical, and we do have problems with groups that extend outside the extended family, so problems are, I think, inescapable.

stranger likes this.