What's the third eye?

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by juice, Mar 5, 2020.

1. juice

juice Curious Seeker

Hi I been skeptical about this subject because I have researched and still. lack understanding.
    Iisten to all these experts on it and find myself more confused than anything.
    I know it's a view inside of the spirit world, but what else?
    Why Christian see it as evil to open your third eye?

Thanks for any response

Beautiful likes this.
  2. Beautiful

Beautiful Active Member

Its a connection you develop to the spirit realm. I feel it everyday, to hear someone call it an idea is funny to me :) On the samadhi level of experience, you burst into the heavenly realm through the third eye. Its a part of the brain in the middle of the forehead, thats where the energy centers. This is because the head is the ruler of the body (thats why beings have one head and two legs--the head commands the lower body. The head is centered, the lower body is divided.)

Why christians or anyone would see it as evil? Well, we can fill whole libraries with 'reasons' why people are prejudice to other cultures, races, ideas...

Craz and Cino like this.
  3. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

In the context of religions that have teachings about the body's energy systems (chakras, meridians, that kind of thing) the third eye is the area roughly between your eyebrows.

"Opening" or "activating" the third eye will have a range of meanings, usually an increase in wisdom. The visual metaphor of "seeing with the third eye" then amounts to profound "I see/I understand" epiphany type experiences. Often, this is the result or consequence of having performed spiritual exercises such as meditation, contemplation, yoga (beyond the gymnastic part of yoga), Chi Gong, Occult ritusls in some esoteric school...

Which brings me to my opinion on why some denominations of Christians tend to be wary of this (I am not a Christian): it is associated with pagan traditions, magic, esotericism, eastern religions.

4. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Do they? Jesus said:

"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!"
    (Matt 6:22-23)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6&version=KJV

Perhaps these evangelical type Christians just knee-jerk reject anything that seems Eastern?

The 'We Christians' club. If only they knew how much damage they are doing to the true message of Christ, turning people away from Christ, imo.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Thomas likes this.
  5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

As RJM said ...

"And God said: Let there be light." (Genesis 1:3)
    "In him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not." (John 1:4-5)

In the Abrahamic Traditions, the heart is the core of the person. The Traditions are all about metanoia (change of heart), the heart was a far more important organ than the head.

Cino said:
    "Which brings me to my opinion on why some denominations of Christians tend to be wary of this (I am not a Christian): it is associated with pagan traditions, magic, esotericism, eastern religions."

I agree. Christianity was always on the case to prevent syncretisms — as they saw it — creeping in and watering down the wine, as it were. The evidence of heterodox ideas, theological and metaphysical errors and pseudo-Christian appropriations of the message are evident, from the Gnostics so-called of the 2nd/3rd centuries to Theosophical insights and the emergence in latter days of so called 'esoteric Christianity'.

And, of course sadly, the knee-jerk of those who don't understand ...

The Third Eye as such is a metaphorical device, an upaya, to borrow a Buddhist term (an expedience), and a vast amount of ink and paper wasted, and hot-air generated, when read too literally, and treated too simplistically.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Ya think that references a single eye? Or a single focus?

StevePame likes this.
  7. RJM Corbet

Ah yes. That would make sense

8. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

So, @juice - were we able to add to the confusion? :)

9. Craz

Craz Active Member

For me it is simply the term (often overused) for experiencing our senses inward.
    I.e seeing inner light, hearing inner sound, there is also inner taste/smell often referred to in poetics as nectar.

In my own travels, I have met some people who experience these things naturally, others through meditation.
    Theists and non-Theists.

Cino likes this.
  10. RJM Corbet

0552071455.jpg

I think the interest all started with this book, first published 1956. He turned out to be a plumber from Plymouth named Cyril Hoskins, but from the 60's and 70's his atmospheric books about life in a Tibetan monastery turned a lot of western people on to eastern mysticism, imo

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  11. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Active Member

I remember that book. I had a look at astral-travel in my teens.
    Not healthy, imo. When it's time to die, we will see what we will see.
    ..meanwhile, are we trying to "spy on others" ?
    .. or maybe we will become deluded .. it's unnatural. Isolation can be detrimental.

12. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

Understanding, ..
    and in Shiva's case, heralding destruction of what displeased him.
    Of course, being an atheist, I do not subscribe to that view.

13. RJM Corbet

Ah, it's ancient stuff. But it gets taken up by the shallow 'me' society ...

14. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Without Shiva we'd be 30' deep in carcasses, feces and undecayed matter!

Third eye to me is what you don't see ,.don't understand, but have an inkling of... Intuitional instinct... I believe it to be based on solid evidence that you cannot access in the moment.

15. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Youtube videos - Third Eye activation meditation

16. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

As the story goes, Shiva was disturbed in his meditation by Kama, Kamadeva, Cupid, the God of Love. Kama intervened at the behest of all Gods and Goddesses, as they wanted a son from Shiva who could lead the army of Gods against the demon, Tripurasura. Murugan / Kartikeya, the God with six heads (Shanmukha, since he was raised by the six sisters, Pleiades) was born after this episode and led the army of Gods to victory. After the victory, Indra gave his daughter, Devasena, in marriage to Kartikeya.

After Shiva was pacified, he blessed Kama to be born as Krishna's son, Aniruddha. Aniruddha appears in another story of the demon Banasura, whose daughter Usha, abducted the very handsome Aniruddha. Banasura was a devotee of Shiva. So to get Aniruddha released, Krishna had to fight Shiva. Of course, the mediators did not allow the fight to go out of hand.

Murugan / Kartikeya is a major God of South India, visualized both as a General and an ascetic. Here, with his consorts, Devasena and Valli, with his brother Ganesha, family portrait. Valli, incidentally, was an aboriginal princess. :D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Cino and RJM Corbet like this.