Police shooting at reporters

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Cino, May 31, 2020.

1. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

A team of journalists from my country were apparently shot at by the police while reporting on events in Minneapolis.

I hadn't realized in my luddite bliss of not watching TV or listening to commercials - er - the radio, the terrible extent of what's going on over the pond. Cops firing at foreign journalists. I guess nerves must be more than raw.

I feel a bit helpless, but wish you all to be safe, and that this mess will resolve in a way to increase justice and equality - and iving conditions without mortally dangerous discrimination. Nobody should fear for their lives, least of all because of public servants (nor for being a public servant, I'll add).

2. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro

MHO, there are/were a$$hats on both the PtB's side and the rioters' side. Unfortunately, there's systemic racism/ethnocentrism.

It was even worse when Drumpf quoted the 1967 Miami police chief ("When the looting starts, the shooting starts.")

When/Where will it stop!?

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

3. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Lots of good cops too:

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Um, err i hope there are good cops...

It's their job.

Also their job to stand-up for the law, and against cops that break the law...THEIR JOB. A literally what they get paid for.

Remember everytime you see someone start a post against Muslims, blacks, atheists, migrants, whatever.... remember to post your support saying "lots of good __________too."

5. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Some good friends of mine are cops. We used to train martial arts together.

That said, some cops have treated me badly. I've been maced, restrained, threatened, all while exercising my civil rights guaranteed by the would-be equivalent of a constitution which we have here in Germany.

There are too many documented, bona-fide weapons-hoarding death-list-maintaining nazis in the German police forces for me to admire their esprit de corps any more. I've seen one too many agent provocateur in front of me, I've seen them censor and lie to the press (and later, when no-one cared any more, retract the lies) too many times. I don't trust the German police any more. My guess is this loss of trust could be part of what we see in the US now. But I'm far away in a different country with different problems.

So, complex world out there. The situation in the US seems to have escalated badly, and I hope for the best, may the worst not come to pass.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Oh some the agent provocateurs are exposed..

Coincidence, causation. Correlation

Covid
    Conflict
    The little black book

What is covering up or exasperating what?

7. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Well, America is, it seems, a country of extremes. And yes, our BBC cameraman was charged and smashed into by a cop.

I fear the POTUS 'fake news' agenda is beginning to bear fruit — media are part of the problem.

Certainly the methodology between the US and the UK police is quite different. There its shock-n-awe', to lay on maximum force from the get-go and suppress the situation. It's born of the battle tactic of suppressive firepower which is central to the US military dictat.

Here it's open with negotiation*. The classic British bobby saying "'ello, 'ello, 'ello, what's going on here then?" The idea being not to create a situation that needs defusing. HAVING SAID THAT It remains the case that the UK police would appear to be institutionally racist, so really it's the same as the US, with the volume turned down a fair bit.
    (*if you're white. If you're black, different story.)

What got me this am was a 'Trump for 2020' campaigner defending the POTUS, and then justifying his actions by pointing out the number of times before a president has called out the army against the civil population, begging the question: a) How well did that work out for you? and b) when are you going to learn?

It's not at all gratifying to realise that the US-UK 'special relationship' is that we're both on-the-whole reasonable countries governed by right-wing, narcissistic, congenital liars who are incapable of doing the job they've been elected to do and yet continue to garner the messiah-like devotion of the right wing (which just shows how close to the surface all our nastiest tendencies are) ... The least funny element is both come from precisely the background their constituency supposedly hates — class, privilege, wealth, entitlement — they are both where they are by virtue of birth, neither possessing any one merit that might suggest them for the role.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  8. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

It will end when those who die while engaging in illegal activity are no longer martyred and held up as roll models for future generations. It will end when protesting is not seen as justification for looting and vandalism. It will end when victim mentality is no longer perpetuated and folks start taking responsibility for their own actions. It will end when there is no longer a sense of entitlement and folks start to realize that respect must be earned and not merely demanded. It will end when one race standing shoulder to shoulder is not seen as unity while another doing the same thing is seen as racism. It will end when bleeding heart liberals stop trashing the President for attempting to fix the ills they themselves have inflicted upon society, but don't hold your breath waiting for any of that to come to pass...

Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  9. RJM Corbet

Doesn't entitle a cop to kneel on a man's neck to kill him. The judge is supposed to be the one decides the death penalty. Unfortunately there are cameras now.

So is that ok with you?

10. RJM Corbet

Isn't the flag meant for all Americans? It isn't the property of Trump?

11. RJM Corbet

Doesn't this apply exactly to the alt-right Trump supporters?

12. RJM Corbet

I'm sure every reasonable person on the planet understands that.

I believe they were demonstrating peacefully outside the White House when their own president had them teargassed and shot with rubber bullets, so he could cross the road between a phalanx of armed police, to hold up a Bible he hever reads in front of a church he never enters, whose parishioners he despises as the great unwashed?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  13. Namaste Jesus

No, of course not. Then, I wasn't there and the video doesn't show what led up to the confrontation. I believe the officer's intent was restraint, not murder. Toxicology did indicate the presence of fentanyl and methamphetamine. Be that as it may, none of this would have happened had Floyd not attempted to pass counterfeit currency, a federal crime in this country. I just think, when you decide to engage in criminal activity, you've got to accept the very real possibility of being offed one day by an overzealous cop, as an occupational hazard.

BTW, that church had been looted, vandalized and burned the night before and those so called peaceful protesters had been forewarned and failed to obey orders to disburse.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  14. RJM Corbet

Fair points.

15. RJM Corbet

So called? But were they or were they not protesting peacefully at the time they were attacked by riot police? Were they looting and rioting? Was there a judicial order for that peaceful protest to disperse? Who ordered them to disperse? Journalists were attacked and even a minister. Peaceful protest is not a crime. It is a right.

Of course the looters and rioters should be forcefully restrained and tracked and arrested and prosecuted by standard criminal process.

Reverend chased from church for Trump photo shoot using the Bible as a prop.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  16. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Three officers kneeling on a handcuffed individual seems a little excessive restraint, in my book.

If that hazard applied universally, and white offenders were being 'offed' along with black, then you'd have to ask yourself what kind of society tolerates or effectively sanctions murder. There seems little doubt to me, from the remarks by the authorities at the very beginning, that the officer in question would have received another reprimand to add to the 17 other accusations of 'overzealous' policing he has already notched up, and things would have carried on, just as they always have ...

But this is the crux of it: It's not representative. It's endemically, systematically and disproportionately applied to the black population.

We have Floyd's family calling for peaceful protest. We have seen police and national guard make the staggering gestures of laying down their arms.

Do we embrace that? No. Build on that? No ... Spread the live, spread the peace ... No.

Instead, we use riot police to clear the streets for a photo op. We wave a Bible. We effectively threaten the population, and the administrations they voted for, with the use of maximum force if they do not comply with our wishes. We have our police attacking journalists because we've told them they are part of the cause of the problem. We have a professional model, standing at our side, who cannot force a smile for the cameras. Something's gotta tell you something's rotten ...

17. RJM Corbet

Episcopal Bishop of America speaks about church and Bible being used as a political prop:

18. RJM Corbet

NYPD Chief takes knee with peaceful protesters and tells them to help police against looters:

19. RJM Corbet

Soldiers take the knee with protesters:

20. Namaste Jesus

@Thomas, well, having grown up in a subsidized low income housing project in a major US city and attending inner city public schools, as well as working in downtown retail establishments for a number of years thereafter, I guess my perspective on this is very different than your own. Privileged white man, I ain't. I've seen firsthand what really goes on and what the police have to put up with on a daily basis, not just what you see in the news and how they've chosen to report it.

Me, I cannot comprehend the unmitigated gall of someone trying to pass off counterfeit currency in an already struggling business after weeks of lock down due to covid.