Police shooting at reporters

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Cino, May 31, 2020.

1. RJM

RJM God Feeds the Ravens Admin

So, kill him on the street?

I'm from Zimbabwe and South Africa. I've seen plenty. --

People aren't afraid of Trumpo. And in the USA he cannot vote himself the dictator power he wants.

His time is over and all those cowardly silent Republican congressmen and senators are going to turn against him now. He's done, imo. Choose sides carefully

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  2. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

Hey, said my peace. Make of it what you will, twist it as you see fit. Hunker down, stay safe and rant on. ;)

3. RJM

Where did I twist it? Please explain? Thugs abuse legitimate protest. But people understand the distinction. They actually do -- the cops and soldiers do -- because it is obvious. But politicians twist it. Whatever.

This is all about Trump now.

The truth will be seen.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

EVERY white person in America has experienced white privilege.

The fact they they don't think they have proves it.

'the talk's is real!

This is a conversation, a discussion forum.

The yup we got some great police and national guard responses and some freaking awful ones...change is afoot, proud of our youth that can get out and March and protest. I live vicariously thru them, because I have the desire but not the energy...

5. Namaste Jesus

Try telling that to someone that didn't grow up in a crime ridden low income city housing project or someone who's family didn't have to squeak by on minuscule social service benefits. Someone who's mother didn't have to walk a quarter mile to the nearest bus stop every month, rain or shine so she could stand in line outside all day for a few measly dollars in food stamps, only to be looked down upon by every store clerk where she tried to use them. Someone that wasn't denied access to a summer camp program for disadvantaged youth and not allowed to take part in the summer jobs program, because even though they met every other criteria, being white wasn't one of them. Being white never got me a damn thing I didn't work hard for and earn.

Thing is, we never blamed society for our problems or asked for any special treatment. The one thing my mother always stressed was, low income doesn't have to mean low class. So we just held our heads high and bettered ourselves as best we could. Sure we had to do without some of the things others had and at times felt cheated because of it, but resorting to crime, drugs and violence to get what we wanted never entered our minds. Even so, because of where we lived we had encounters with aggressive police all the time. Never once though, did we question their authority, become combative, or fail to comply with their orders. We understood what they were dealing with on a day to day basis and were always taught to be polite and respectful. And you know what? They were always there when we needed them. Not because of the color of our skin, but because of the way we had treated them on those encounters.

Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  6. RJM

There is gangsterism and crime in most low income urban areas all over the world. There will always be criminal opportunists. Protests often morph and grow from the original flashpoint.

Government should represent everyone. The flag should represent everyone. Leaders should not deliberately manipulate and widen divisions in their own people. They should not pour petrol on the fire.

7. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

Well said, that man! Thing that baffled me most the short while I lived in the states, the entire place always seemed to be caught in a perpetual state of the tail wagging the dog, led mostly by liberal whites overcompensating for their own prejudices. You know, like doling out hash at the homeless shelter on Christmas Eve, then turning a blind eye the rest of the year. Least ways that's how it always seemed to me and from what I've seen in the news, nothing much has changed since then.
    Cops thumping a white bloke's gourd, don't make the news there, mate.
    Never understood that. Fine and dandy to have a program to help poor black kids in the states, but not poor white kids. That's somehow racist. -o_O

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  8. RJM

Trump's rhetoric has caused the protest to morph into an anti-Trump movement, imo. Every word he speaks is divisive.

Is the NYPD Police Chief a bleeding heart liberal. Is General 'mad dog' Mattis a bleeding heart liberal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-52915816

"Ex-US Defence Secretary James Mattis has denounced President Donald Trump, saying he deliberately stokes division.

He said he was "angry and appalled" by Mr Trump's handling of ongoing protests over the death of African American George Floyd at the hands of police.

Mr Mattis berated Mr Trump's "abuse of authority" - and backed protesters seeking to uphold American values, as did ex-President Barack Obama ...

"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people - does not even pretend to try,' Mr Mattis wrote in The Atlantic. "Instead, he tries to divide us."

He continued: "We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership ..."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Thomas likes this.
  9. RJM

Christmas is always a time of giving to the poor and less fortunate. I'm sure there are a lot of people who do regular soup kitchens, not only at Christmas?

10. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

The issue is that white is privileged by virtue of the fact that racism is institutional in the political system. No matter what the experience of the white person, the black person in an equivalent socio-economic situation will always suffer a further layer of injustice that the white is not necessarily aware of, because it's not their experience.

There you go, another example of institutional prejudice right there. The point is, that person should not have to put up with such treatment.

There's no excuse for injustice.

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I have never feared being shot by the police because of the color of my skin.

I would not prefer to be treated as we treat people of color in America.

This country was founded and built in racism...slavery supplied the largess that created our plantations, built the white house, written into our Constitution and is still ubiquitous in our country today. Simply compare the number of POC in prison for weed offenses compared to whites...all the while knowing whites consume weed at and equivalent rate. But blacks get pulled over more, arrested more, get longer a sentences while whites in general if they get busted at all.for minor offenses, use lawyers to pay fines, goto treatment, get probation or shorter sentences...but we all know that.

Hundreds of years of systemic racism. My white friends that grew up in the hood know the difference...as they got out!

If you don't know this, I surely can't explain it to you.

12. RJM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-52923022

"Twitter has accused the US president of making false claims, in one of the app's own articles covering the news.

The move - which effectively accuses the leader of lying - refers to a tweet by Donald Trump about his first defence secretary.

Mr Trump had tweeted that he had given James Mattis the nickname "Mad Dog" and later fired him.

But Twitter's article says that the former general resigned, and his nickname preceded Trump's presidency ..."

13. Namaste Jesus

Hey where ya been, mate? I don't think it was written or intended that way, just how it was administered. The powers that be took the position these programs were for the benefit of minorities only and however otherwise qualified, whites were ineligible. Some of that (overcompensating) you mention I suspect. ;) That's just how it was there growing up and it got steadily worse for non-minorities as time went on.

My mom lived in that housing project almost from it's inception until her death in 2007. One by one, the rest of us got out by the sweat of our brow, but my mom remained. A few years before she passed, I went with her to see housing management over an ongoing problem she'd been having with the fellow next door blasting his stereo day and night. Something strictly forbidden in the lease agreement. Well they immediately pull out the race card, implying my mom's complaint is racially motivated. Dumbstruck, I assured them the issue here is the volume of his stereo, not the color of his skin. They dismissed that entirely only to say that young people like to play their music and my mom needs to be more tolerant. So I informed them how long my mother had been a resident of that project and that the section she lived in was supposed to be reserved for the elderly. Then, this fellow not even born yet when my mother 1st signed her lease, tries to tell us that's never been the case and suggests that if my mother has a problem with that she should move since low income public housing was intended for minority residents. Gobstruck, we just left.

I wanted to take the idiot to task, but my mom said no, she was done fighting for the basic respect she had earned. She didn't move, but was never quite the same after and passed 3 years later at the age of 87.

On the plus side, her loud neighbor problem got taken care of in a DEA raid less than a week later. Ah... someone reported her neighbor's little meth lab I guess... :rolleyes:

Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  14. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

Oh you know, living the dream. -;)
    Man, I know you've been through it mate. You know what it's all about, don't let anyone try to tell you different.
    HA,HA,HA,HA... that's my mate! -:D

15. Namaste Jesus

Not necessarily and not in my case. I'll give you an example. When I was growing up there were 3 black kids 2 doors down from us. Exact same socioeconomic situation as ourselves. Absentee father, mother raising 3 kids alone and like us, dependent on government assistance. Only difference, they were black and we were white, but by virtue of that difference, they were able to take advantage of government programs not available to us. As a result, they were able to get ahead and move out of subsidized housing long before I. I was actually quite happy for them though and sorry to see them leave. They were great neighbors.
    Yes and that victim of "institutional prejudice" was white with no special privilege afforded her because of it. If anything, I think white people in that situation are looked down upon even more. The presumption being, they really don't need it or are somehow less deserving just because they're white and that simply isn't so. Poor is poor!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Cino likes this.
  16. RJM

17. RJM

18. Thomas

Oh well ... to paraphrase Wil, 'If you don't get this, I surely can't explain it to you'.

19. Thomas

And here there is clear disproportionate bias in the fines and arrests of BAME people. A retired Met Police superintendent, said: "... these figures exhibit a racial bias, because practically everything the Met does has a racial bias. The Met is still institutionally racist and the use of Covid powers is part of this."

Meanwhile a disproportionate number of BAME die because of Covid, ranging from inadequate social conditions because of ill-paid jobs, to those in front-line hospitals struggling on the wards to keep their patients alive.

It's just injustice piled on injustice, and for the white population to continue to ignore this becomes increasingly morally indefensible.

wil likes this.
  20. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

Agreed, that is unfair.

I think a concept that can help with understanding how her situation and the circumstances of others can be understood meaningfully and in a fair way, is that of "intersectionality". Now this term has been and is continued to be used in a bad way by people I don't care for very much, but by and of itself, it basically means that people can be disadvantaged in many and compounding ways. Being a single parent, being a single mom, being a woman, having a certain set of ancestors, being in a certain social class, living in a certain area... all of these add up and more often than not in worse ways than the simple sum of its parts. This also means that it is usually too narrow a scope to compare circumstances in only one of these dimensions.

Being compassionate (without getting sucked into Trungpa's "idiot compassion") is a good baseline to have in any case.

Namaste Jesus likes this.