Police shooting at reporters

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Cino, May 31, 2020.

1. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Trump now trying to change horses in midstream. Not very Churchillian. He needs to switch to the team that's winning, now that all his generals and police chiefs are shredding him in public.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...te-to-george-floyd-due-to-copyright-complaint

Twitter disables Trump campaign tribute to George Floyd due to copyright complaint
    Trump campaign accuses Twitter and Jack Dorsey of censoring an ‘uplifting and unifying message’

Twitter has disabled a video by Donald Trump’s campaign team that pays tribute to George Floyd, saying it is the subject of a copyright complaint.

The video was retweeted nearly 7,000 times by people including the US president and his son Donald Jr.

In response to the video’s removal, the campaign accused the social media site and its co-founder, Jack Dorsey, of censoring an “uplifting and unifying message from President Trump” and urged its followers make a separate YouTube video go viral.

The accompanying Team Trump tweet said: “We are working toward a more just society, but that means building up, not tearing down. Joining hands, not hurling fists. Standing in solidarity, not surrendering to hostility.”

A Twitter spokesperson told the Hill website they had received a complaint from a copyright owner of at least one of the images in the video ...

This is not the first time Trump has been accused of copyright infringement. In 2019 video posted by Donald Trump has been removed from Twitter after a copyright claim by the rock band Nickelback."

The images are copyright. There was a complaint. THAT'S why the video was taken down. But of course Trump expects special treatment.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

The world is horribly unfair, and I've lived a blessed life in comparison. And still, being black is reason enough to warrant such a harsh arrests that it leads to their death. You may not be privileged compared to many other whites, or privileged enough to participate in programs, but you are privileged enough that it's very unlikely that you will be killed during an arrest for a non-violent offence. I've served as a sort of military police and are well aware of the sort of training out there for handling more or less resistance in arrests and not putting pressure on chest or neck area is 101. For an officer to even think that that is a good idea requires either staggering incompetence or malicious intent. So why are so many black men turning up dead for non-violent offences? And why are they statistically over represented*? The overwhelmingly accepted answer is structural racism. But as we have seen you dismiss the concept as a whole. You don't even seem to think racism exists in the US any more, except perhaps against white people? There couldn't even be a stray racist police officer who act on their ignorance?

*Sorry Aussie, but we can't treat absence of evidence as evidence.

Cino likes this.
  3. A Cup Of Tea

I feel there are a lot of white voices in this thread, I'll just put this here until some diversity join us.

Thomas, Cino, StevePame and 1 other person like this.
  4. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Staff Member

Hey, I'm in the unique position to have seen and lived the problem from the inside out, not just what lies on the surface as shown on the news. So, right back at you.
    That is rather apparent.
    Well, that's mainly because it is extremely unlikely I'd commit the offense in the first place to put myself in that position. Still, you have no idea the number of times I was aggressively questioned by police growing up. Guns drawn on a few occasions, catching myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Even been handcuffed! I was always cooperative with the police though, and respectful of their authority. Even today, interracial couples are profiled in some jurisdictions here and I've been pulled over and questioned, even searched on one occasion. Annoying as hell yeah, but I understand why they do it and I always cooperate. Only a fool would piss off a guy with a badge and a gun.
    I'm not sure, but there's an attitude that goes with that, the media and the statistics fail to show. From what I've grown up with, blacks are far more likely to be combative, belligerent and abusive toward police, both physically, mentally and verbally than are whites. And the more we try to rationalize and justify that behavior, the greater the problem becomes. Sure, I've seen that happen among white suspects too, but far less often and as Aussie so eloquently puts it, "Cops thumping a white bloke's gourd, don't make the news (t)here...." Nobody rallies the troops, marches in the streets or instigates a riot. If white people did that, we'd automatically be labeled raciest. I mean, more than we are now.
    Racism exist for sure, there's no denning that, always has, always will, but it's far from a one way street nor is it an automatic moniker for everyone born white.

Look, I'm not condoning the police officer's actions in this case, but at the same time I'm not willing to ignore the illegal activity that put the suspect in that position in the 1st place. There's accountability on both sides here.

Too, the video they keep touting only shows the aftermath, not the take down and what led up to it. So as you say, "we can't treat absence of evidence as evidence". On the other hand, if it turns out he did it with malice and forethought, hell yeah let's start building the gallows, but let us not glorify the other guy's crimes as we mourn his death.

Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  5. wil

wil UNeyeR1

No traffic violations?
    No working in the yard?
    No walkng in your neighborhood?
    No sitting on a park bench?

For these offenses white people call.the cops on black people every day...and cops harrass, arrest, shoot and even kill some for it.

I hear ya, you grew up rough...but does all this stuff happen to you still because of the color of your skin?

Seems to me you've vented about your wife being discriminated against. I don't recall you downplaying that against your experience as a youth.

Mayhaps because I grew up middle class, I can clearly see how people of color are treated.differently than I. Or because I've walked down mainstream with a shotgun and never been questioned. Or because I've hitched all over this country without issue. Or because I've never lacked a job when I really wanted one...I was not born we with a silver spoon in my butt...but I was born a white straight cisgender male in America, which in my experience as an adult and in my youth, has been a distinct advantage that I fully admit I've taken advantage of.

6. Namaste Jesus

You'd do well to read the rest of the paragraph and not just the one sentence you think supports your agenda:
    Wil, this is precisely why you can't clearly see how black people are actually treated and the reasons why. You didn't grow up in a city setting among them and see firsthand what actually goes on and what the cops have to deal with, as I did.
    Not downplaying anything now. Just stating where and how I grew up and why I know from which I speak. Yep, I vented about older workers being systematically removed, but when I was done I didn't take to the streets during a pandemic no less, disrupting and jeopardizing the lives of people that had nothing to do with it. Didn't break one window, didn't set one fire. I hold myself to a higher standard than that and truth be known, though unfair, maybe even discriminatory, nothing my wife's former employer did was illegal. Yeah it took almost a year to find another job, but with God's help she ended up in a much better situation. Not bad for an undereducated, middle aged foreign woman of color. Just shows what a little hard work and determination can do.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Aussie Thoughts likes this.
  7. StevePame

StevePame Administrator

Why are you understanding of this? Aside from blatant racism, what explains their action? You seem law abiding so I don't think you and your wife were doing something suspicious that would attract police attention. Are there reliable data out there that show a correlation between interracial couples and their propensity to crime that may cause an officer to consider them a threat?

8. Namaste Jesus

Oh, nothing like that. We live a little off the beaten path, but to get to my nieces place, at one point I have to pass through this particular area known for prostitution. It's a predominantly black area and white guys often go there seeking shall we say, recreation. So, when the police see a white and brown face together in the same car, they start looking for reasons to pull you over, especially after dark. Once they realize, you're just a couple passing through, that's usually the end of it, but an officer was shot a while back on such a stop so some cops can be a bit overly cautious.

Now, were it not for where I grew up, being stopped like that would no doubt piss me off, but as such, I totally get it.

9. Thomas

Thomas Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, whatever the individual experience, it's evident now that the issue (in the UK as well as the US) of systemic racism has been laid bare.

The big question is how we move on from here ...

10. Aussie Thoughts

Aussie Thoughts Just my 2 cents

Same as always, more hate, more division, more finger pointing at the other side. Just another liberal mess for the rest of the world to clean up, once they grow bored of this cause and go looking for another.

Of course this time we may have mass outbreaks of covid to contend with due to all the large gatherings around the world.

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  11. wil

wil UNeyeR1

The reform is coming, the dinosaurs are dying off...

It is a joy to see the youth standing up for what they believe.

It is a shame MLKs grandchildren have to march for the same dream and we have stagnated as a nation in this regard for 60 years.

And I got to thank those who have counter opinions and express them..as it is quite educational for those who continue to scratch their heads in disbelief.

If you think the protestors are the problem and not what they are protesting about.

Look neither high nor low for the problem is in your midst.

StevePame, RJM Corbet and Thomas like this.
  12. Thomas

Thomas Super Moderator Staff Member

Saw pictures today of the NYPD riot police out with all identification removed from their uniforms.

I wonder why? :rolleyes:

13. RJM Corbet

Trump conservatives own the flag and own the Bible. They are the only real Christians and the only true Americans.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  14. RJM Corbet

Good drummer

15. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

I believe that if there is rioting, violence, looting, arson; then the protest is on the wrong foot and it should be stopped. That was the rule Gandhi followed in his 'Satyagrahas'. When these things happen, do not blame the police for baton charges, tear gas and even shooting.

16. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Staff Member

I just read an article about the lone police officer that was literally saved by five strangers when he was separated from his unit at the risk of their own safety. After the situation was over, there was an agreement to meet in a neutral place to just "break bread" and to chat.

I hope all six men can do so willingly later on. :oops:

eta: This is from the article, which holds true for everyone involved in the protests:
    Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

17. RJM Corbet

This is quite true.

The protestors need to disown the criminal.opportunists and the authorities need to discriminate. It is common for authoritarian leaders to crush peaceful protest and opposition by calling it terrorism etc, for political purpose.

The photo-op incident was a deliberare attack on peaceful protestors on the direct order of the president, although Barr, the attorney general, denies the attack was related to the photo op. Just another Trump admin lie.

Trump has been deliberately manipulating and widening the rift for his own selfish political purpose that has nothing to do with trying to quieten the situation for the good of the country, or to address the flashpoint issue. Imo.

Now that he realises it's not playing well, he's trying to change his spin, and even invoking the murdered man on first name buddy terms as a supporter on his side: 'George is up there looking down and calling it a great day.'

Despicable.

18. A Cup Of Tea

Thank you for stating these things so clearly, I needed this.

As for evidence, the following article and its video is what I am judging their actions on, and based on my training and understanding of law, this is completely unacceptable. Again, dangerous incompetence or intent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...loyd-new-video-officers-kneel-trnd/index.html

Here we will never meet. You hold your experiences and what you've been taught as unquestionable, I hold these things to be as fallible as anything else, your words teach me about your experiences of the world, not the world.

StevePame and RJM Corbet like this.
  19. A Cup Of Tea

Two things. First, different groups of protesters must be treated differently, you don't escalate unprovoked. I feel that your nonchalant add of shooting at the end is very inappropriate.

Secondly, I will copy-paste a comment from a video, I will link the video as reference but no need to watch it. The commenter posts under 'Bronce Retriever'. I feel that it's important to take a step back from opinion statements at times and look at what officers are trained to do and what the law states.

Source:

StevePame and RJM Corbet like this.
  20. RJM Corbet

George is looking down;