Expectations of individuals to do their own research

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by StevePame, Jun 9, 2020.

1. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

I mean if a speaker disagrees with the principle of gender self identification, for instance -- is that speaker allowed a platform?

Or is he branded a fascist?

2. RJM Corbet

I'm pretty sure the answer is that speaker will be no-platformed, while the speaker who supports gender self-identification will be encouraged. And I'm asking why? I'm asking for an explanation? I'm interested to know the logic.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  3. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

Now you've completely lost me. Permitted by who? The council of universities? Higher education makes different calls on this all the time. Probably depends on where the money comes from. But I have the feeling that in your mind the universities are the fascists here. I know your stand on gender politics so the fact that you brought it up as an example makes me less and less interested in this conversation.

4. RJM Corbet

Yes, we're miles apart. Where I stand on gender politics and most other issues is that one person's right to expression should not deny another the same right.

There's always a justification of 'affirmative action' to balance past inequities etc, but it always comes out the same way, as expressed by George Orwell in the last line of Animal Farm:

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”