FREEDOM OF SPEECH vs 'NO-PLATFORMING'

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by RJM Corbet, Jun 12, 2020.

1. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

"I completely disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it," is a quotation from Evelyn Beatrice Hall, later credited to Voltaire, and later yet to Winston Churchill.

Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park in London used to feature soapbox orators talking about anything and everything. No-one was forced to listen.

Free speech obviously needs SOME sorts of limits, but what are they? There are national laws against sedition, encitement to violence, slander, etc.

But is a person entitled to spread plain lies on the internet? Or on a College platform? The former is a bit like Speakers' Corner -- it is a public area. The university stage is a private space, whose representative Students' Council is entitled to 'reserve right of admission'.

So what are the limits set by a university college about who may be allowed a platform there?

Time is limited, so perhaps flat earthers and other proponents of generally kooky and disproved theories are agreed to just be wasting everybody's.

But at what point does the university have to decide that a speaker's views are 'unacceptable' to it's own ethos, and that students should be protected from hearing them?

For example should a university allow pro-Palestinian but prevent pro-Israel speakers? This is just one common instance of no-platforming.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

I feel that the reasoning between allowing a platform or not is far more relevant to me then strictly adhering to a checklist.

The reasoning is far more revealing of an institutions values and can be more open to critism and dialog.

3. RJM Corbet

Yes but if a higher education institution is limiting its students to hearing only one side of the story, is that fair to them?

4. RJM Corbet

My opinion is that universities are driven by the far-left ideology and other opinions are bullied and excluded? The 'correct' mindset is required?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  5. RJM Corbet

Fortunately young people work with fresh, active minds, and certainly do arrive at their own judgement, mostly -- but imo this in spite of, not due to, university 'conditioning' towards conformity of viewpoint.

6. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai

That same sentiment is often uttered here in the US, but here of late, oh btw you're fired, usually follows. Especially if you've voiced an unpopular opinion on social media.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  7. RJM Corbet

WOKE thought police nazis

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  8. RJM Corbet

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ually-assaulted-20s-hits-transphobia-row.html

" ... the on-going row about her (JK Rowling) recent comments over transgender people.

The author, 54, was hit by what she described as 'relentless attacks' after she took issue with an online article 'people who menstruate'.

She tweeted to her 14.5m followers on Saturday: 'I'm sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?'

Her remarks also led to a backlash from stars including Daniel Radcliffe, who played Harry Potter in the film franchise of the series, and Eddie Redmayne, who stars in Ms Rowling's Fantastic Beasts films.

Emma Watson, who played Hermione in the Harry Potter films, also criticised Ms Rowling in a series of tweets on Wednesday ..."

And Megan Markle's pal Jessica Mulroney has just been fired from her TV job for not posting a black square on Black Tuesday.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20200613/281715501857225

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020