Psychological Well-Being

Discussion in 'Health' started by Cino, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

What do you think is the role of religion with respect to psychological well-being?

To flesh this question out a little, here are some starting points:

The 12-step programs (AA and related offerings) explicitly work with religious topics, incorporating a "higher power" into the process of recovering from addiction.

Grieving the loss of loved ones is often done in a religious frame of reference for guidance through the process.

Some people experience high levels of anxiety because of the often intense and graphic threats for non-conformity to a religion.

Certain psychological conditions such as psychosis have symptoms such as delusion which often express themselves in religious terms.

This thread is intended as coffee table banter of how religion and psychological well-being interact (not as a pro/con debate).

Beautiful and StevePame like this.
  2. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls Staff Member

Psychology deals with the mind .. and/or the soul.
    As a human, we are bound in this physical body and they interact with
    each other.
    Religious guidance is for mankind's benefit .. spiritually and physically.
    That is my understanding. :)

RJM Corbet and Cino like this.
  3. Cino

Thanks!

Do you have more detail on the everyday psychological benefits?

4. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Staff Member

Religion (as opposed to religiosity) can give some form of continuity/stability to a "client". It could also give some form of "ritual", whether because there are particular rituals that need to be done at certain times of day/week/year or time of life.

Grief also has certain "rituals" which have been interrupted by CV19 as well as wars/disasters/etc. due to not being able to know if or where the other passed or even if the loved one is gone.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

5. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls Staff Member

Well, as you say, taking religious duty to extreme can have negative effects.
    ..but generally, those that remember God have psychological help.
    It is strenghening and increases positve thought.

A good example would be those in long-term unemployment who descend into hopelessness,
    not being able to see a future for themselves. Having faith that God is "able to do all things",
    helps one to be patient and not give up .. seeing the world through a different lens.

6. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Imo that's all it is.

Perhaps psychological benefits may happen as a result of soul learning. Or not ... it's not the main issue.

The society isn't God. God is God. Imo

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. RJM Corbet

That downbeaten beggar on the street may be better soul person than your local member of parliament -- though a bit less socially/psychologically well adjusted?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Cino likes this.
  8. Cino

There certainly are different takes on "psychological well-being". One is, as you point out, related to being able to function in society. Another is more subjective, related to reducing pain and increasing ease or peace.

Maybe this is a similar distinction as the one @Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine made between religion and religiosity?

9. RJM Corbet

Oh definitely. Acceptance of suffering as soul purification and 'peace that passeth understanding'. Interesting discussion. I am not denying that God may bring an improvement to the quality of material life of the one who turns to him, crying from out of the depths, but the priority is always the soul?

There may be times of emptiness and loss in the material world, but with a sense of inner happiness and soul peace. And the converse may also be true: material accomplishment with spiritual emptiness and pain?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  10. Thomas

Thomas Super Moderator Staff Member

I think religion provides a metaphysical framework in which one can locate oneself.

That, said baldly, sounds highfalutin, but we as creatures are gifted/cursed with self-reflection, and there is a deep and abiding need to locate ourselves in the scheme of things as we see it.

The rites of passage of which Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine mentioned are necessary and are there as psychological markers, I think? I would look at symbols and their universality as a key to psychological insight. I think, as mentioned, I consider our contemporary 'conspiracy theories' the same as pre-modern 'superstitions' — there's a higher power at play there, manipulating the world, etc. Conspiracy theorists are comforted by the 'fact' that they know, they are aware, and even while they are as helpless as everyone else in real terms, the 'fact' that they 'know' — are 'illumined', 'awakened', etc., is a comfort they will fight tooth and nail to hang on to ... how else can flat earthers withstand the weight of contrary evidence? The deeper answer is if they let go, they are lost.

Thus from a psychological pov the Sacraments of the Church are universals, they weren't invented or discovered by the Church, they are there in every traditional culture. They are necessary.

I'm not saying culture can't flourish without these rites of passage, but I do think they are to some degree impoverished — and I'm speaking of modern western atheist culture simply because it's the only one that seeks to do away with them, or reduce them to meaninglessness.

+++

Manias representing themselves in religious terms is, I think, because the language of religion enables the maniac to verbalise and quantify.

I think psychiatrists have noted that in schizophrenia, for example, the radio and then the tv, and now presumably computers, are the sources of the voices the schizophrenic hears. No doubt there are the undiscovered those who are terrorised by Alexa ...

... same, I remember reading, about flying saucers and 'the man in black', they turn up throughout history, expressed in cultural terms. So the proliferation of UFO/Body Snatcher movies in the 50s-60s reflected deep-rooted fears of communism, then there was the optimism of Close Encounters and ET ... that's gone away, and we're into zombies ...

+++

As you say, it's all about frameworks. And, as you say, there are plusses and minuses.

Interesting, though.

11. Thomas

Thomas Super Moderator Staff Member

Been wondering about gender fluidity ...

Take a look at: https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/content/two-spirits_map-html/

Seems like our Abrahamic binary absolute attitude to gender is bound to cause a whole lot of pain and suffering (by which I mean it does, that's a statement, not a suggestion). And that binary absolute seems to me to be one evidence of how colonial 'enlightenment' has actually impoverished traditional cultures.

12. Beautiful

Beautiful Active Member

He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside still waters; He restoreth my soul.

--This. The relation between peace and truth. We need order & meaning in life. Religion and Philosophy satisfy this. Art. Nature.

13. Nick the Pilot

Nick the Pilot Well-Known Member

It has been said a person cannot achieve enlightenment and then move onto nirvana until they have achieved "psychological well-being".

14. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Seems.to me organized religion plays with your psychological well-being.

Nick the Pilot likes this.