Opening or closing worship services

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Ahanu, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

John MacArthur is still protesting! He complains about going 21 weeks without ministry here. Only .002 percent of people in California have died from COVID 19, he says, so why in the heck can't he have worship service? This attitude is widespread in the States.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

I guess he doesn't know about Shincheonji church in South Korea and how their gatherings helped spread COVID 19. He doesn't care really.

3. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls Staff Member

I think that people on either side of the debate should not be extreme.

It is understandable that people will get fed-up with restrictions/quarantine measures due to covid.
    If people can now fly in aeroplanes, I don't see why people can't resume their LOCAL gatherings!
    It is unsurprisingly, hypocritical imo.

4. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic)

Because they don't sing or hug/shake hands in airplanes. Both part of many churches' liturgies, both spread the dumb virus.

5. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

False analogy, my friend. Fly to Haneda airport in Tokyo and see what happens. You'll be led off the airplane by a flight attendant. Many of the restaurants are closed as a precautionary measure. Japan Airlines has an air circulation system to help prevent the spread of COVID 19. You're required to wear face masks in terminals. You'll see hand sanitizing stations. Frequently touched surfaces are disinfected. Airlines are taking precautionary measures; John MacArthur, as far as I know, is not since he believes the disease is not dangerous. You only take precautionary measures when you assume the disease is dangerous. Many worshipers want to reopen worship services because of their underlying assumption: the disease is not dangerous. It's this underlying assumption that is dangerous.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  6. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls Staff Member

That's nonsense.
    Many people don't see church services as "a necessity".
    The main reason for this, as I see it, is that they don't generate wealth.

It will not help to throw accusations at each other. Church services is all some people have to look forward to.
    We are not all high-flying executives.

7. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

But that's exactly the point: many if not most American televangelist type preachers and church leaders ARE high flyers.

But the American evangelist churches DO generate the income earned by their high flying pastors. Often very substantial income. No services, no bucks. It's sad but it's true.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020