COVID catastrophe

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Thomas, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Well, friends, what a weekend.

Once the schools were shut down, and exams cancelled, it seemed obvious that the Govt. should have thought about how to manage the situation.

They didn't.

Instead the took the teachers' projected results for their students, school exam history and applied an algorithm which saw 90% of teacher assessments altered and, surprise surprise, saw private schools exam grades raised in 20% of cases, while the state schools were down-graded by more than 40%. In fact, the more socio-economic pressures you have, the more you are marked down, whilst the more privilege and entitlement you have, you're marked up.

Some schools find they've been awarded their worst set of exam results in 10 years.

Now the govt body in charge of handling the appeals process is flatly contradicting government statements. Result: Chaos.

A generation of schoolkids left in freefall while their elders and betters flail about without any clear idea of where we go from here ...

2. Thomas

And regarding of 'world leading' Test&Trace — the only surefire way to get a grip of the pandemic —

Recently the Govt promised to "strengthen regional contact tracing", and that the major firms awarded controversial contracts will be redeploying their staff to work regionally with local councils.

Outsourcing giants Serco and Sitel, tasked with running T&T, have reported call handlers reaching less than half of those who tested positive for COVID-19, and worse than that in contacting those who have come into contact with positive tested individuals. The net result is a figure around 20% T&T. While local council and healthcare providers, denied govt funds, are achieving somewhere round 80%.

It now turns out Serco and Sitel bill over £900 per person traced.

The Govt announced 'new way of working' (in the face of increasing criticism of the failed system) in which 'NHS T&T will provide local authorities with a dedicated team of contact tracers for local areas". Now, in a "U-turn on the U-turn" – Govt admits no Serco or Sitel staff will work with local councils.

Meanwhile local councils suffering major outbreaks have to mop-up after the big corporates have done the easy bit. They are having to implement emergency T&T by taking resources off 'vital services' already trimmed to the bone by Govt cuts.

A spokesperson for an independent scientific advisory group has described the situation as "outrageous" and that these lockfowns will be "catastrophic for the economy ... an indicator that the current test and trace system is not working".

She characterised the current system as a “misallocation” of public funds amounting to “maladministration” by the central government.

Serco and Sitel have been awarded contracts that could see them receive up to £718million of public money, and it appears they're in line to receive a further £528million as contracts are extended.

Shadow Health Minister Justin Madders said "If the government is going to continue to spend millions of pounds on a falling model with the private sector that doesn’t deliver the results we need then this has massive implications for the ability for the rest of the country to deliver the challenges that lie ahead."

3. Thomas

And on T&T

There is a particularly damaging phenomena at play called 'The Cummings Effect'. This resulted from the days when Dominic Cummings, the kingmaker behind Boris Johnson, ignored all the lockdown advice and, while people were denied access to hospitals to sit beside dying parents & children, he took his family on a 300-mile road-trip to his country home with his folks, including at least one day's sight-seeing at a nearby tourist attraction.

The Prime Minister validated this trip as not contravening the letter of the instructions.

But people see it as undeniably contravening the spirit of the message now see there is one rule for us, one rule for the friends of Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Which means that as the Govt makes further requests, for lockdown, etc., there is significant instances of people ignore the rules because Cummings did. Furthermore when asked to isolate, and name contacts in T&T, again there is a background of lack of faith, lack of trust and consequent non-compliance.

As you sow, so shall you reap.

4. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls

I think that you are exaggerating to say that it's all down to "the Cummings effect".
    Naturally, people are tiring of being restricted. We can see that from what's going on in Warsaw & Madrid.
    covid is no doubt a dangerous, highly contagious disease. Anybody who doesn't take it seriously is a fool.

That doesn't mean that govts. always get it right. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't.
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't. It's a fine balance between health and bankruptcy.

We all know that Cumming didn't follow the law/guidelines to the letter. I'm sure that a lot of people
    had/have difficult choices to make.
    Clearly, you don't vote Conservative :)

5. Thomas

It's not 'all', but scientific studies are saying the Cummings effect is a real thing:

View from the university | View from the medical profession | View from a Conservative newspaper

No, but no European govt has got it quite so bad as us, and we continue to do badly by comparison.

Globally, there are those govts. who seem to have won the trust of their countries, and whose leaders are perceived as doing a good job. Notably those who tell the truth. This govt time and time again has been demonstrated to play fast and loose with the facts.

If one thing is evident, it's that the official statements cannot be taken at face value.

Not helped when money is either being 'spaffed up the wall' to use a Bojo phrase, or directed into the pockets of friends and supporters, is it?

Yes, and followed govt guidelines, even when loved ones were dying.

I'm just fed up with the Govt using the pandemic as a means of making money for friends and supporters.

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

That has been typical for the history of our country...but never so blatant as this admin in my life.

7. Thomas

Today we two bits info typical of the current leadership:

One is a complete U-turn on exam results.

The second is my bête noir – news just in is that the Govt is 'sacking' the failed agency, Public Health England, in a bid to deflect blame from its own failings, and replacing it with another, still running on the same failed system and run by the same person, a conservative insider.

This is the new system founded on a series of empty promises outlined above.

Go figure ...

8. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

The real covid catastrophe is that some people think it good to make the covid crisis a permanent feature -- but they are mostly not those who have lost their livelihood because of it. Imo

9. RJM Corbet

To the vast majority who get infected it is no worse than a flu, with no permanent damage, and those worse affected are far outweighed by those unable to get treatment for cancer and other serious conditions etc, and who have lost their jobs and businesses.

I personally know only one person who has had covid, in his late 50s and not in very good health. It wasn't pleasant and he wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, but he's fine and fully recovered.

But I know at least a dozen people whose livelihoods are wrecked or badly affected by it, including several members of my own family. And I don't really know a lot of people. And it's just starting.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  10. muhammad_isa

Mmm .. it seems to be a case of "damned if they do, and damned if they don't" for those of us who might hold some responsibilty in govt. these days.
    The world seems to be getting more & more divided, with people holding strong opinions, opposing each other.
    The issue of covid is no exception. We need to find a balance.

11. Thomas

I am one with a heart condition unable to get treatment, so I do not treat that lightly, I look at the root of the problem, a health service run down over years of under-funding.

Statistically, that's not surprising. As it happens, I do know of deaths.

And yet other countries with more fragile economies than ours have recovered and are doing OK ... makes you wonder.

Again, one has to ask oneself why ...

12. RJM Corbet

Statistically the damage caused by making the covid crisis permanent is far greater by orders of magnitude than the actual health effects.
    Bingo! What I said

13. Thomas

I think that's a flawed perception.

14. Thomas

Then why is not every other country not melting down as we are?

15. RJM Corbet

Because we've put all our resources into stopping people working, closing businesses, destroying the greater economy for WHAT? The health effect doesn't justify it at all. I don't care about other countries.

It was justified for a few months to give the NHS time to prepare. Now it's just rubbish. Imo

16. RJM Corbet

I can virtually guarantee they were in their late old age, and may have succumbed to flu, if they had picked it up?

17. RJM Corbet

Making the 'covid crisis' permanent presesents interesting opportunities for a bit of social engineering mostly from the 'wokie' side, imo. It's like being in an Isaac Asimov novel. And here I need to step out of the discussion ...

18. muhammad_isa

Do you, why? :)
    I don't think anybody is making it permament .. it is ongoing.
    Most people seem to think that we will eventually get a vaccine.
    ..meanwhile, govts. around the world are mostly cautious.

It is highly contagious, and they quite understandably are concerned.
    They don't want a repeat of what happened in March/April in Italy, UK & Spain

RJM Corbet likes this.
  19. muhammad_isa

Every country in the world is different .. population density, spread, travel patterns etc.
    London is a very vibrant city. Heathrow airport is one of the busiest in the world!

RJM Corbet likes this.
  20. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

How are you measuring this?

Just out of courtesy, could you ease up on this? I know you genuinely don't think this is as bad as a lot of us feel it is, but a lot of us have lost people, and it is very painful, even if they were older.