COVID catastrophe

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Thomas, Aug 17, 2020.

1. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls

You are beginning to sound like an atheist ;)

2. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

Oh right. So the evidence you have for chasing Polish out of the UK is scriptural? I'm not putting words in your mouth I hope?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  3. muhammad_isa

No, no, no.
    I mean that's what many atheists say all the time about Almighty God..
    Where is your evidence that there is a god?

..and I don't think anybody is chasing people out of the country.
    Some people speak as if they think that anybody who likes should be able to come to the UK and work,
    whatever nationality they might be.

I would love to live in such a world. Unfortunately, it's not realistic.
    That's the trouble with being a relatively rich nation.
    UK would be strangled .. civilisation as we know it would collapse :eek:

Please don't ask me for evidence, because it is only my opinion.
    If you think otherwise, carry on.

I don't meet many people who would like to see the UK poorer.
    I would, for that very reason.
    However, it is normally the poorest that suffer in a recession. I do NOT agree with that!

4. RJM Corbet

As long as they belong to the EU and pay the membership and get the benefits which includes free movement of people and the right to live and work between EU countries. So not just anyone.

5. muhammad_isa

Right .. so you believe in political union. Are you in agreement with Turkey joining .. or Russia joining.
    Where does it end?

Oh yes .. UK has pulled out .. because apparently the majority of us are racists :rolleyes:

6. RJM Corbet

No I don't think the British are racists. I think the British are very fair and decent people in general.

7. muhammad_isa

That is very generous .. I too like to think that it is only a minority
    who are intolerant of others.
    If we want God to be merciful to us, then we need to be merciful to others.

We have to be optimistic about the future. We are a multicultural society, and
    we should rejoice in our strengths that God Almighty has bestowed on the nation.
    Every citizen has something to contribute, however large or small, whether rich or poor.
    Our perseverence for fair-play should not be thrown away. We CAN be successful.

Wealth is not the backbone of a nation .. something else.

8. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

No you don't, because when people assume what my point is it is most often wrong. I apparently come of as arrogant and condescending, which I apologize for.

One other option is to just try and answer the question to the best of your ability, regardless of what my point might be. You don't have to, of course, I don't mind if you have no interest in my qualifications.

'the level of immigration is unsustainable' if often stated, and to me it makes perfect sense to as:
    Is it?
    In what way?
    Can we measure if it is?
    Where are the bottlenecks?
    Can the stress be alleviated in some way?

Putting an arbitrary limit to immigration because it SEEM to be to much is irresponsible to me.

9. muhammad_isa

It's a shame that there has to be ANY immigration control.
    It is not such an issue in poorer countries, as only a few people go there to live/work.

I don't think that trying to quantify it teaches us anything. The British people
    have voted, and I SUGGEST that they were feeling overwhelmed by the rate of immigration.
    I could be wrong ..

Envisaging what would happen if immigration controls were completely removed is a reasonable
    scenario, imo. I am well aware that "only those in the state of EU" were/are not subject to immigration control.
    Again, if it seriously interests you, one could search for the pop. stats for UK over the past decade.

That doesn't take into account transient movement of people [come to work], naturally.
    I simply don't know what the figures are. I only know how the country changed
    VERY QUICKLY with new communities springing up in every town and city.

The vast majority are now quite happy with them being here, but it was very alarming at the time.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  10. RJM Corbet

Sorry.
    It has never been on the cards?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  11. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Me thinks that is what believers struggle with before they become agnostic or atheist.

Cino likes this.
  12. Contrarian Deist

Contrarian Deist Member

I call this totalitarian scamdemic Covid1984, cause that's what it is INGSOC creating a global Orwellian nightmare of massive proportions!

13. Contrarian Deist

Contrarian Deist Member

Covid1984 is a totalitarian psyop scam
    For more, see the thread I just started in this same politics and society forum entitled
    *Covid1984 hysteria/lockdowns a psyop scam*(check it out, I'd rather not repeat myself in this thread).
    Be aware, be well, be free.

14. Contrarian Deist

Contrarian Deist Member

All I'm gonna say is this, the greatest catastrophe of all about this whole thing. With all the lockdowns and the harm done to industry including music/entertainment industry. For 50 years they've been trying to kill off METAL, with this...they've possibly finally succeeded in doing so. I wonder if this whole thing was concocted to finally kill of METAL!

...hmmm

Try as they might, the metal gods will not be silenced...but will live forever and conquer this evil! Our salvation ladies and gentlemen is in METAL! It must thrive to drop the metal hammer on covid and on tyrants exploitation covid!
    METAL gods arise!

*As mankind hurled itself forever downwards into the bottomless pit of eternal chaos, the remnants of civilization screamed out for salvation- redemption roared across the burning sky.....THE PAINKILLER!* - Written by the metal gods....Judas Priest, from the holy scripture of metal...their *Painkiller* album.

15. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

That just about says it all.

Contrarian Deist likes this.
  16. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

Two things revolving around coronavirus:

1) There's a new mutation that has appeared in the UK, making the virus more virulent

2) There is a rather interesting episode of a particular radio program discussing the coronavirus that I'm listening to right now

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

17. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Apparently the new strain is much more able to attach to the host cell, so this improvement means it's 70% more effective at infecting people, and it's more effective in infecting younger people. So numbers are rocketing here, and there has been a significant increase in the hospitalisation of young people. London hospitals are already sounding alarms about a lack of capacity.

18. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

I see, 2020 was the good year...

RJM Corbet likes this.
  19. RJM Corbet

Truth of the 95% hospital occupancy statistic: the real statistic is that of the 125 UK intensive care units that reported, 13 of them reported occupancy of 90% or more. So it's not the same thing at all as saying that hospital ICUs are 95% occupied.

So that's not saying there's not a problem, but it's exaggerated for sensation, imo.

And the Nightingale hospitals are still unused. They say that's because there's not enough staff for them. But about 22000 NHS workers at any one time are off work self isolating, not because they're sick but because their weekly covid test has come in positive, but the tests are completely unreliable, everyone knows, a person has four tests in the same day will come up with two positive and two negative.

Well I would say early days to come up with a statistic like that, and anyway it doesn't change the effect that infections among young does not equal deaths among the young.

Etc, etc, etc ..

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  20. RJM Corbet

If the situation is really so dire as to completely devastate the economy and ruin the aviation and tourism industries, put hundreds of thousands of people permanently out of work and ruin thousands and thousands of businesses -- surely they should get these extra capacity hospitals up and running, regardless of staffing difficulties, and have soldiers etc, working alongside NHS staff -- as would be the case in wartime, and as should be the case in such a time as this which is ruining the future for young people, devastating working people

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020