An Article I wrote: What is Feminism?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by seattlegal, Sep 24, 2020.

1. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercuræn Buddhist

Feminism is an antinomian movement which critiques the cultural nomos through the feminine lens.

Nomos (sociology) - Wikipedia

Feminism calls the nomos that it critiques "The Patriarchy."

Being an antinomian movement, it is usually concerned with changing the specific cultural nomos it arose in. This probably accounts for the reason why some "Western Men" feel singled out and "vilified" by it.

Nomos usually resides just below the consciousness, which gives the nomos the advantage of appearing to be "self-evident," or part of our "DNA." This shields the nomos from conscious critical thinking, and makes people very uncomfortable when the nomos is brought into consciousness for examination. Facing your unconscious programming can be downright terrifying. The contents of your unconscious mind are personal to the individual, and any critique of unconscious programming is liable to be seen as an attack on the person. The ego might feel that it is failing its job of providing mental stability.

Carl Jung and other psychologists call this bringing of unconscious material into consciousness and examining it consciously individuation. Part of this process is identifying the elements that come from the collective nomos, and separating it from contents that are unique to the individual. You want to separate the cultural programming/nomos from the personal trauma/personal demons, and intelligently rebuild the unconscious habits and programming (karma) to better suit the person that you want to become.

Regarding feminism and the individuation process, I believe that the most effective strategy for women who want to affect real change within their cultural nomos is through individuation and development of their animus to the level of spiritual guide as described in this wiki article, both transforming herself and contributing towards the transformation of the ideal of what it means to be a man within the collective unconscious. (Personally, I would prefer the ideal man to be a spiritual guide (highest level animus development) rather than a thug (lowest level animus development.) By the term animus, I’m referring to the unconscious intellectual mind of women as described by Carl Jung, not the animating spark of animism.

Anima and animus - Wikipedia

Part of the process of animus individuation is separating the cultural nomos and other factors from the collective unconscious from what the woman actually thinks for herself. Much of the enforcement of the unconscious, uncritiqued, cultural nomos is done by women whose animus is in the lower stages, so feminism, in the form of critique of the nomos and separating it from what she really thinks, is really a necessary part of a woman's psychological growth and animus individuation.

If you look closely, you might be able to identify the various stages of animus development within different expressions of feminism:

Jung stated that there are four parallel levels of animus development in a woman.[3]
    • Man of mere physical power The animus "first appears as a personification of mere physical power - for instance as an athletic champion or muscle man, such as 'the fictional jungle hero Tarzan'".[4]

One might identify this stage with "feminazis." (Using force like the man of mere physical power.)
    • Man of action or romance In the next phase, the animus "possesses initiative and the capacity for planned action...the romantic man - the 19th century British poet Byron; or the man of action - America's Ernest Hemingway, war hero, hunter, etc."[5]

One might identify this stage with "Social justice warriors." (Using the man of action motif.)
    • Man as a professor, clergyman, orator In the third phase "the animus becomes the word, often appearing as a professor or clergyman...the bearer of the word - Lloyd George, the great political orator".[5]

One might identify this with those who "preach" feminism as an attempt to reprogram the nomos.
    • Man as a spiritual guide "Finally, in his fourth manifestation, the animus is the incarnation of meaning. On this highest level he becomes (like the anima) a mediator of...spiritual profundity".[6] Jung noted that "in mythology, this aspect of the animus appears as Hermes, messenger of the gods; in dreams he is a helpful guide." Like Sophia, this is the highest level of mediation between the unconscious and conscious mind.

One might see this stage as those who point out this path of transformation as both a journey of self-transformation as well as societal transformation, knowing which messages to deliver to whom.
    While this is just a general note, I really think this part needs repeating:
    so feminism, in the form of critique of the nomos and separating it from what she really thinks, is really a necessary part of a woman's psychological growth and animus individuation.
    Thank you for reading.

Cino likes this.
  2. seattlegal

Bah! I made a typo in the title of the thread that I can't fix: It should read: "An Article I wrote: What is Feminism?"
    Thanks to the mod who fixed it! :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  3. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

So many thoughts intermingling and blending together....all instigated by your article...but how many relevant or pertaining to it I don't know.

I see the white male patriarchy as a societal norm...a vestige from history...from when muscle, power of body or attitude reigned supreme.

Like BLM movement, the feminist movement does not advance without ....acting out. Protesting, kneeling Suffrage movement...The goalls need to be clear and made known, and a willingness to stand up...before the majority respects the movement or makes any incremental change.

Time, education and innovation are key factors in change as well.

It is said the movement in the US could not have happned without the advent of the wacher and dryer...since women had ot spend so much time doing 'women's work' before then.

It the changing of gender roles today linked to gender and sexual preferences?

thanx for the contemplation...I am far from grocking it all.

4. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea Well-Known Member

Aha, so you hold that there is a masculine or feminine essence within us? To what extent do think that this essence is spiritual, biological or constructed?

5. seattlegal

Do you believe that we all put on a persona mask of representation to interact with others in the outer social world? If so, what about the psychological content we specifically choose to exclude from this mask? According to Carl Jung, this "held back" content becomes the "mask" we use to interact with the inner, introspective world within ourselves. This "inner mask" is the Animus in women, and the Anima in men.

6. A Cup Of Tea

So any difference between the Animus and the Anima would depend on the psychological content of the individual?

7. seattlegal

Can you rephrase the question? I don't understand what you are asking. (An individual has an Anima or an Animus, not both.)

8. seattlegal

Here's a map of Jung's model of the psyche. The Persona is the mask one wears when interacting with the outer social realm, whereas the Anima or Animus is the mask presented to the inner realm of the personal unconscious and the collective unconscious.
    jung map of the psyche.png

Cino likes this.
  9. A Cup Of Tea

What is the essential difference between the two? In what way do I have an Anima and not an Animus?

10. seattlegal

The Persona is what you choose the show to the world and interact with the world. The Anima/Animus is what you withhold from the Persona. If withhold "feminine" tendencies from your Persona, you have an Anima. If you withhold "masculine" tendencies from your Persona, you have an Animus.

11. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

And why is it one cant with old a little of both kr alternating thruout our day/lives?

12. seattlegal

We do. The Persona normally interfaces with the outside world, and the normally Animus/Anima interfaces with the inside world. However, there are times when we have what is known as "Anima or Animus possession," whereby unconscious content comes out in the form of Shadow projection. (This would correlate to "Feminazis and SJW" in the article.)

13. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Ah, so we consciously suppress the anime or animus?

Is that to the benefit of social interaction? ie do we do it for show....wear the mask we choose in various situations?

Is this a beneficial filter...i mean we obviously (?) Can use this for nefarious purposes but would the world be a better or worse place if none of us put on the filter or mask?

14. A Cup Of Tea

What are examples of "feminine" tendencies?

15. seattlegal

Most people unconsciously do this.

Yep.

I would say that it depends on the individual whether it is beneficial or nefarious.

16. seattlegal

Whatever is labeled as "feminine" by the culture you socialize within. For instance, in the culture I reside in now, the color pink is generally considered feminine. However, in Ancient Greek culture, the color yellow was considered to be feminine. Cultures and ideas of what constitutes feminine and masculine change over time, hence the need for individuals to develop Personas (as well as the resulting Anima/Animus) to deal with their culture. It's not a static, genetic thing. It's a psycho-social thing.

A Cup Of Tea likes this.
  17. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

Nice visualization!

I think Jung was constantly revising his ideas, and used many terms in less-than-precise ways, so this picture would reflect a very general understanding of his ideas about the structure of the psyche.

One idea he developed later in life is that of the Archetypal Shadow, which is not part of the graphic.

But this is not a thread about Jung, but about Feminism, hope I'm not derailing it here.

18. seattlegal

The article is about the interface between Feminism and Jungian Animus individuation, so it is very much on topic. :)