Memorial: What happened in the past...

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by Cino, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

... 82 years ago in my country of Germany, on this November 9, could happen again, anywhere in the world.

Let's remember how important initiatives like interfaith dialogue are: What we are doing here, in this little corner of the internet, is taking a radical stance, for each other's right to exist.

What we are doing here is, in a very real, unspectacular way, healing the world. I love each one of you for this.

2. Seer

Seer Member

The glorification of warfare continues in the U.S. with a week-long tribute on prime-time news in honor of our Veterans Day.

3. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

What prime time news are you referring to?

Also, I’m not sure how your comment ties in with the original post of @Cino

4. Seer

Seer Member

I viewed that on ABC News I believe and I believe we can do little in "healing" America's war-like custom.

5. Cino

I am not a US citizen, but what I want to say is universally applicable, I believe: Customs depend on and emerge from conditions, they don't just occur to us as fully formed ideas to be acted out. One very common condition that leads to such terrible events or "customs" is consent by silence, by a majority of onlookers witnessing a small group committing atrocities.

By engaging in dialogue rather than staying silent, we are doing something against that silent consent.

A Cup Of Tea likes this.
  6. Seer

Seer Member

Dialogue gets silenced by the disagreeing majority, hence the division of the State into "Like minds". I only exist here in dialogue with you until I get banned. How does "exclusive resolution of conflict"(Hate) heal?

7. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

A tree that reaches heaven, must have its roots in hell
    -- Carl Jung

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Nasruddin likes this.
  8. RJM Corbet

Man cannot do it. It is beyond human capability. That's why The Christ is there, imo

9. Cino

Well, to get banned here a user has to deliberately violate the house rules.

What makes you think you might do that?

There's no panacea.

Broadening one's horizon to encompass people other than oneself evidently decreases the conditions for hate of the other to arise.

10. Nasruddin

Nasruddin Active Member

When I was eighteen years old I took an oath to protect all that I loved. There wasn't any hate in me then or in many I served with in our intentions. We wrote a blank check to our leaders trusting that they would spill our blood and ask us to spill others only if absolutely necessary. I, like others were naïve perhaps but that was taken advantage of in the worst way. There is indeed a need for healing but it's complicated. There are real individuals out there suffering because of what they were called on to do and how they were thrown away at the end.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  11. RJM Corbet

@Nasruddin
    Were you in Vietnam?

War is inevitable, and just as inevitable that combatants will always invoke God on their own side. So it's when the Church becomes involved, often by people who normally wouldn't go near one?

Of course it is a virtue to be innocently defending your own land against aggressive invaders. But it's often not that simple?

12. Seer

Seer Member

That's an interesting point. Moses and his Commandments were overlooked in favor of the Golden Calf :the Christ: The actions of the Golden Calf could then be said to determine the conduct of the flock; but I must have that wrong because the flock does not forgive.

13. RJM Corbet

I think that's backwards: God suffers on behalf of man, to ease and share man's burden of suffering -- he harrows hell and reaches heaven, and carries it upon himself -- if only man acknowledge him?

= Let God take over completely

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  14. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

As a Jew my opinion differs.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  15. Seer

Seer Member

Evolving past the urge to heal thru corporal or capital punishment may one day progress past a need to excommunicate. Be that as it may we look to authority to provide an example.

[​IMG]

16. Cino

I'm having a really hard time following your last few posts. Can you express yourself more clearly?

Who are the flock that won't forgive?

What does moderator action have to do with a death sentence?

Also, this is the Secularism section of the forum. In my original post, I mentioned the November Pogroms in 1938 Germany, as a political admonition to keep the light of our shared, fragile humanity.

17. RJM Corbet

Old Testament
    New Testament excommunication Vs Old Testament stoning.

But it's not excommunication. Posts that red flag the code of conduct are moved to moderator area for decision. @Seer is not excommunicated?

Looking forward to his continuing participation, possibly by starting a new thread around the subject?