What will you allow?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by wil, Jun 24, 2021.

1. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Hmmm where to put....i guess here..

This could be religious too. We all draw lines in the sand.

What will you allow?
    Where is your line?

Pick a topic...i can deal with woo until...crystals, vortexes, astrology...

A flat earther... If they admit the game

An anti vaxxer.... If their doctor recommended against

Trumpets until they spout proven lies as possible.

There will be more.....you?

2. stranger

stranger wolfwing, a feral angel

Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not fear because you are with me. I just don't want to be alone. Too much of it in this life... too much of it in half-remembered dreams. The game is love, which is a game which is not a game but everything. Complexity comes down to simplicity and focuses on the heart of the matter. Is it so bad? Being loved?

edit: For me it comes down to how far will love go, and the answer is as far as it has to in order to become all-consuming. "In the fire, I will find you."

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  3. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

I am an atheist. So, acceptance of existence of God/Gods/Goddesses will cross my line. With me God, prophets, sons, messengers, manifestations, mahdis are not starter.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Lol, not allowing the existence of G!d or Gods makes you a pretty powerful being!

But what of that will you allow? Will you talk to believers, will you sit next to one, wil you allow them to believe. Wil you tilt at crosses?

I mean I am not a fan of theft...but I allow it in some ways...petty ways.

I am not a fan of lying....but I allow that "little white lies" and not the whole truth has its place...

5. Aupmanyav

Yeah, I am myself IT. "Aham Brahmasmi". I am that which constitutes all things in the universe with no exception. But then "So are you" (Tat twam asi). I do not know if you realize that or not. "Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma" (All things here are Brahman). "Eko sad, dwiteeyo nasti" (What exists is one, there is no second). "Ayamatma Brahma" (This self is Brahman). Energy, sub-atomic particles.
    Yeah, my family believes. It is not that I have stopped talking to them. Sure, I do this all the time. My grandson is lounging next to me at the moment seeing his fav serial. My belief does not put my family under constraints. They can change if they so desire. I do not think they will ever change, they do not have the requisite IQ. For half my life, I too was a believer. There are some which I would like to tilt, put at unauthorized places by Christian evangelists, but not otherwise. Accommodating small transgressions; sure, I am not against that.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    RJM Corbet likes this.
  6. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls

What has it got to do with IQ ?
    Do you have to be smart to realise that miracles are "not possible"? :)

7. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

I think a person should at least take the trouble to acquire a basic knowledge of the scientific subject or the religious faith or scripture they are eager to discredit -- when they are discussing it with people who do have a good understanding of the particular subject, who have taken the trouble to acquire deeper knowledge.

There's a difference between discussing and dissecting a subject, while at the same time acquiring and absorbing more knowledge and understanding from the conversation -- or simply making insistent preconstructed judgements that are not open to change.

I would like to believe that in a perfect world I would like to be a sort of person to enjoy infinite intelligent debate, with acceptance on both sides -- while at the same time not being able to gladly suffer deberate misunderstanding (which is always either mischevious or plain dishonest) or deliberate misrepresentation as a legitimate tool of intelligent conversation.

Something like that?

8. Aupmanyav

Yeah, I believe one has to have an above-average IQ to realize that and courage to accept that in life.

9. Aupmanyav

Now that is a bit difficult if the views are distinctly opposite. For example, a theist and an atheist.

10. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

Ah, but you are a person who makes sure he has a good knowledge of whatever subject. Therefore it is always an enlightening discussion

11. Aupmanyav

I have a fair knowledge of copy-cat religions, Christianity, Islam and Bahai. Whether these religions can provide good knowledge beyond what my religions (Hinduism and Buddhism) provide, is debatable. :)

12. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

To me, it's always about the individual practitioner or believer. I've met the most saintly Hindus imaginable, and also unbelievably chauvinist Hindus who congratulated me on inhuman atrocities that were committed by previous leaders of my country. Same with any other religion.

13. HeartNSoul19

HeartNSoul19 Member

It's not what I call myself (Christian, Hindu, or Bahai) that matters, rather it's my behavior and the degree to which I express love (and all other positive human attributes like truthfulness, generosity, selflessness, etc.) in action in this world that matters. What I do is more indicative of my true nature as a human being than the particular religion or spiritual philosophy I may choose to identify with.

14. Aupmanyav

In that case, religion is superfluous.

15. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

If you are a prophet, or guru...sure....until they make their own (or their followers do)

16. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

Agreed, but what you do is informed by what you identify as.

A Catholic Christian or Orthodox Jew or Baha'i might act in a way to prevent women from taking up certain religious roles or offices, for example.