Pope Francis reverses Benedict

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by juantoo3, Jul 16, 2021.

1. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

It's addressed to anyone the cap fits

2. juantoo3

juantoo3 ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

Well, then, be prepared when someone accepts your challenge... ;)

RJM Corbet likes this.
  3. stranger

stranger wolfwing, a feral angel

The words "get over it" have no evil in and of themselves, it is in their application that we often stumble.

Now I have no idea as to what percentage of help or harm catholics have done to humanity, nor do I care. Catholicism, Protestantism, and everything in between, not to mention countless other traditions which are not Christian, are a part of an ever-expanding "confusion of tongues", if you will. The answers we seek will not be found in studying their history or in seeking to pit one against another. Study is fine, don't get me wrong, but the indiscriminate stuffing of one's own head with knowledge for the soul purpose of lording it over others is not.

Does the one with almighty knowledge also have almighty love? Sadly, this is not often the case. Stuffed heads will bluster and cavort about, eager for us to recognize their superiority, when it is but hubris that moves them, and neither love or the spirit. To say it in another way, these particular kings are not wearing any clothes.

Paul once wrote to the Galatians, "I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed labor on you in vain." And again, "... after that you have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?" (Gal. 4:9,11)

Paul was forced to resort to hardness with the Galatians in order to hammer some spiritual sense back into them.

With the Hebrews, who seemed to be on the virge of great understanding, the prodding of the writer is more gentle: "For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God, and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat."

These two examples demonstrate the work of a true teacher. Strong or gentle, according to the need of the students. True teachers will agonize and mourn over their students to the point of their own demise. Head knowledge is okay, but if not harnessed and driven by love we have merely another cacaphony of sounding brass and tinkling cymbals.

At some point one has to get over the merry-go-round of the temporal, and see temporality as merely the organic symbolism of the eternal spirit. This is where true bliss awaits, all else will pass away.

So yes, we must get over it, but it is in the application of these words to the right situation that we stand or fall.

juantoo3 likes this.
  4. RJM Corbet

Nevertheless long suffering Catholics are entitled to defend their faith ('The Church' until Luther) against the constant attack and sniping by people who have a very thin knowledge and have never set foot inside a church or attended a service. Mother Theresa is mocked and villified as evil. It gets boring. I most certainly do not apply this to @juantoo3
    Or to @Cino either

The monastery church has re-opened and I"m very happy to be able to attend the monks' ancient prayer services again. They are the keepers of the flame through every darkness over the millennia, imo.

People wouldn't even know about Jesus unless 'The Church' had preserved the writings.

I should stay out of this thread

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  5. RJM Corbet

I do apologise for my choice of words: 'get over it' was not meant personally to anyone and I should have added a lol or a smiley face

juantoo3 likes this.
  6. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

No worries, I didn't take it in any bad way. But thanks for clarifying.

RJM Corbet likes this.