What makes a prophet?

Discussion in 'Abrahamic Religions' started by Cino, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

Guru is no more a prophet than myself. I too can predict that Pakistan will be a pain in ass for West in times to come.

2. Aupmanyav

^^ I can agree to this, since there is no mention of a God. :D

Krishna makes a much longer list, so long that most of the time I forget a few things. But again, worship of a God does not find a mention: "Fearlessness; purification of one’s existence; cultivation of spiritual knowledge; charity; self-control; performance of sacrifice; study of the Vedas; austerity; simplicity; nonviolence; truthfulness; freedom from anger; renunciation; tranquillity; aversion to faultfinding; compassion for all living entities; freedom from covetousness; gentleness; modesty; steady determination; vigor; forgiveness; fortitude; cleanliness; and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor – these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature." BG 16.1-3

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  3. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens Admin

I think there is a difference between Spiritual and natural law that can seem opposite, the Sermon on the Mount an example. Gurus and spiritual teachers explain spiritual law to their followers -- but that doesn't make them prophets.

Is the difference in gurus/teachers speaking mostly to spiritual seekers who come to them for wisdom, where prophets trumpet from the rooftops warning all to take notice?

4. Aupmanyav

True, true gurus neither trumpet their arrival nor their teaching. Of course, fakes abound.

RJM Corbet likes this.