The stupidity of UK racial identity codes

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by badger, Apr 24, 2022.

1. badger

badger Well-Known Member

The craziness about Racial Identity Codes.
    The UK prides itself on it's humanity, common sense and intelligence. We have our own Human Rights Act (98) and we have a really brilliant Equality Act (2010. Yet we hold on to ridiculous situations. Example?

Many years ago our Home Office decided that we needed to measure criminals, crime victims and crime witnesses by race. Some people were claiming that certain races might commit more crimes, some might be victims more often, and some witnesses might lie in statements because of race.
    They built a list of races, called 'Identity Codes'. Everybody who sees a crime, is victim of a crime, or commits a crime to be given a race identity code and then the home office could begin to measure statistics. These codes are written in a box on any/all police statements.

Example:- A person doesn't like another person because of their race or skin colour and so reports them for a crime that they did not commit, gives dishonest evidence, then we call that 'Perversion of the course of Justice' and it carries an automatic prison sentence. So criminal and victim both have identity codes for later home office statistics

Nine Racial type groups were built, from type 1 to type 9 and since I have NEVER used these (I have always described people without using codes) I can't remember them all....
    1. European White
    2. Mediterranean type White
    3. Black
    4. Mid Eastern.
    5. Forgotten it!
    6. Far Eastern Chinese.
    7. Forgotten it!
    8. Forgotten it!
    9. A special group for 'Race indeterminate' or unknown.

So if you commit a crime, suffer from a crime or witness a crime then you will be identified by a race code.

OK? So the Home office starts to gather the statistics. Wonderful.
    Now here comes the daftness........ The Police started to use these numbers in the field in their communications. So a police officer would not report seeing a white youth, but an IC1 youth (identity code 1). Etc etc..... These codes were never initiated for police use in the field, nor does our judicial system recognise their use at all.

Here are two examples of police stupidity connected to these racial codes....
    1. A police officer observes three white suspects and so the phonetical radio report about these is:-
    'I see three I see one males....' when it could be 'I see three white males...'
    Or how about 'I can see two I see three males'.... instead of 'I see two Black males'.
    etc

And another stupidity about the police use of these codes is that although they use them all the time in the field (apart from in a box on the statement) they will NEVER use them in any police statement to describe people for any Court to see, after all, coding race by numbers is as racist as you can get, so racial codes don't exist.......... but they do. Daft.

2. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

In Germany, we don't have such codes, I think. Because of... um... history.

So the police made some up.

Same BS.

badger likes this.
  3. badger

badger Well-Known Member

It's one huge joke.....without being the least bit funny.

Can you explain how the police describe race, colour and nationality in Germany? I would need you to translate for me. :)

4. Cino

I don't know much about the internals of the German police.

One high profile example: A few years ago there was a scandal where the police set up two gates at a railway station to control the mass of visitors to a new years eve party zone in Cologne. One gate was for "Nafris" ("north african looking persons") and the other one was for everybody else. The police chief tried to justify this (including the term I quoted) after the event, and was backed up by the minister of interior of the federal state in question, but it was all very terrible and transparently racist.

There is an ongoing public discussion in Germany about racial profiling, which of course is being applied by the institutions illegaly (it is in violation of both the German constitution and the human rights charter).

badger likes this.
  5. badger

badger Well-Known Member

So, at least we aren't the only racial hypocrites. From what I've heard France can beat the hell out of any of its neighbours for extreme racism .
    I wonder what % of the vote for president will go to LePenne?

6. Cino

Yeah... for years, people were told to vote for the most bizarre shady figures, because voting for the FN was not an alternative. Obviously, this can only work for so long.

We can see this playing out in Germany as well. We now have a coalition with the Liberal Democrats running the country, because of just this "lesser evil" argument. The German Libdems are openly, unashamedly open to corruption, as their track record proves, and were even unrepresented in parliament for a term, because nobody wanted to vote for them any more. They, too, are profiting from the threat of the right wing nationalist AfD party.

This thread is spoiling my mood.

badger likes this.
  7. badger

badger Well-Known Member

Many years ago a UK Rabbi explained the Israeli coalition system to me. Apparently there are scores of minor parties and groups, each holding a very few or even only one seat.... he explained this delightfully by describing a pretended 'The Grandmother's knitting party'....!

So would-be leaders have to woo so many minor groups, listening to all and promising each party's individual wishes, and thus, more people are heard, more wishes considered..... etc. Whilst I'm not impressed with the present Israeli government politics I'll never forget the basis upon which coalitions can be formed in Israel. :)

I'm sad to hear that, and I'm useless at jokes so I can't help much.... :D

But here's a tale that cheered me up many years ago. A Police Constable came to arrest a detained thief and reported the situation to her station via radio, describing the detainee by a racial code number.

After her call I asked, 'Why do you do that? Describe people by race numbers when it's easier to just describe a person's features?'

I was told hotly that all police use that system, so I asked, 'Do you use those codes when giving evidence in Courts, in front of magistrates, Judges and juries, or in your statements?'

I was told, 'Of course not!'

I replied......'Exactly!'

8. Ella S.

Ella S. Logoic Logician

I've mentioned before that I have a genuinely difficult time telling what race someone is outside of people with very dark skin being black. (Even people with very white skin are often Asian or Hispanic, for instance.)

Whenever I'm asked on forms what my race is, I try to pick "Prefer Not to Say" or I write in something like "American" or "Human."

It's not much but I hope that, if enough people start doing it, we can obfuscate racial profiling altogether

badger likes this.
  9. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

2 1s attacked a 3 and witnessed by a 4 and a 5 and 6 cop showed up and called in a 7 emergency medical person and said due to inflation none of the numbers don't add up. I said hurry up and figure it out and she said it's not a race...i said it is to them.

Ella S., badger and Cino like this.
  10. badger

badger Well-Known Member

The list of various races/nationalities (on forms) seems to get longer and longer, here in the UK. I will follow your example in future, and tick the 'can't/won't say' box. :)

Ella S. and Cino like this.
  11. badger

badger Well-Known Member

Love it! ^^^ :D