The Healers

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by badger, May 24, 2022.

1. badger

badger Well-Known Member

I've heard of the Bates method.

My eyes corrected up to good definition and colour enhancement during today (left eye caught up with right) after my two cataract ops....... never known anything like it. I put my pin-hole specs away this evening and can carry on with just shades until I get an optician inspection in about 6 weeks. I can read a number plate at way over the highway code's required distance........amazing day, today.

RJM and Craz like this.
  2. Craz

Craz Well-Known Member

My eyes started to deteriorate about 15-20 years ago(I'm now 74), nothing too severe, but nevertheless a gradual deterioration.(Nowhere near as severe as yourself).
    This isn't unusual for my age, so I don't complain. I gave up driving a few years ago as it was stressing me out, mainly due to glare.
    (When I made the decision to stop driving (after over 60 years), I felt so liberated that I decided to give away my car.
    I went down to the high street and asked the first person I saw if he knew anyone who needed a car. It turned out that he had just gained his driving license and needed a car so that he could travel to do paintings).
    My main disabilities are tinnitus & hyperacusis, which I have been fairly successful in habituating after much struggle. In that department the only thing I dearly miss is silence, which I haven't experienced for more than a decade.

Cheers.

badger likes this.
  3. badger

badger Well-Known Member

74 yrs, eh? We 74yr olds are a very fine lot! :D
    My right eye has been so poor since infancy that my brain never bothered with it. And yet after the op two weeks ago it's crystal clear, and the colour....wow! My left eye was opped last Sunday and is picking up brilliantly.

Tinnitus...... yeah, I used to work in a wood mill next to un-attenuated 8 cutters producing flooring at 360' per minute...... loudest screaming sound I ever heard..... and I was a wildfowler .... the bangs and screaming did my ears in before my twenties. Tinnitus.....yeah. THis morning my tinnitus is hissing away at me as usual, but I only realise it when I think of it, so now at this moment its really loud.

I've always driven with one eye.....until this last day when I discovered that I can drive without specs at all. My wife is amazed.
    I got my bus pass 14 years ago and am quite happy to go anywhere on buses if I was a single bloke, but I keep driving because my wife hates driving. She has been driving for this last month in case my eye ops rendered me unable.

I must google hyperacusis..... EDIT: Noise sensitivity....... Ah, I've got the opposite of that, I watch films with subtitles and if they are not available I get the hearing aid out. I can manage ok but just need a bit of help with modern films, everybody mumbling at each other.

4. badger

badger Well-Known Member

Ten years ago my wife would have strange 'attacks' of restless energy, not being able to watch a pleasant film finish, or suddenly racing about cleaning everything.

You might think that was a psychological 'thing' but it wasn't.
    One evening in 2014 she had the most horrid pain which moved up from her groin to her chest, she then literally rolled around in agony while I called emergency services. She was rushed to hospital and they found blood clots in most of her organs....... terrifying. And she was diagnosed as having a heart attack. She had many symptoms and this young doctor in Clinical-Decisions had just been on a course...... about phaeo-chromo cytoma, a very rare condition where a tumour forms on an adrenal gland which then has adrenalin bursts..... a sufferer could be sitting quietly, reading, and then be filled with more adrenalin than if jumping out of a plane. That is a killer.

She spent 3 weeks in a cardiac ward while they worked to disperse the blood clots and then they whizzed her off to Kings College Hospital where the phaeo team removed her tumour. She has annual checks now.

Our NHS saved her life, and if we had had to pay for private treatment that would have cost us our home.
    The NHS............. The Healers

Cino and Leveller like this.
  5. RJM

RJM God Feeds the Ravens Admin

Good news @badger
    Very happy for you :)

Craz and badger like this.
  6. badger

badger Well-Known Member

Thank you RJM. :)

RJM likes this.