"No God is there but God"

Discussion in 'Baha'i' started by Ahanu, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

Baha'u'llah's allusion to the Muslim profession of faith or the first shahada ("There is no god but God") in "From the Letter Bá’ to the Letter Há’" is certainly interesting, because it's restated in terms of expressing levels of being here:

Additional information about the shahada from The Vision of Islam provides some background:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    Thomas, RJM and powessy like this.
  2. 'Amir Alzzalam

'Amir Alzzalam Šayṭānist

la 'iilaha 'iilaa 'ana لا إلها إلا أنا

3. powessy

powessy Well-Known Member

I can see both the ghayb and the shahadah, I am in both places at the same time, I do not believe this is only for god to understand.

To understand why they say god is the real is to understand that he is something all the time he cannot become nothing and nothing cannot figure him out, and nothing is also inside him. This universe is not real because we can become nothing here, we are not something all the time.

Thank you for sharing

powessy

arthra and RJM like this.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

Corresponds with formal and formless, visible and invisible in many if not all traditions?

The discussion of God alone is Good/Real and so on is broad and nuanced. It's not denying the reality of the world, rather that the world is not self-subsistent; it is not its own cause. (Of course, the physical sciences would dispute this, or find ways to explain – or explain away – a First Cause.)

RJM likes this.
  5. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

A good scientist would point out the current lack of evidence, and the inherent difficulties in obtaining evidence, for a first cause.

The dispute would have to take place on philosophical grounds, not those of the science of physics. This is what t Russell's parable of the undetectable teapot is pointing at, I think.

Thomas likes this.
  6. arthra

arthra Baha'i

An excerpt from an article in Wikipedia...

Baháʼís believe in Muhammad as a prophet of God, and in the Qurʼan as the Prophet of God. Bahá'í teachings "affirm that Islam is a true religion revealed by Allah"; accordingly, members of the faith can give full assent to the traditional words of the Shahadah.[2] Muhammad is taken to be one of the most important messengers of God as an "independent" Manifestation of God. Furthermore, Baháʼís believe that the Báb, a central figure in the Baháʼí Faith, was a descendant of Muhammad through Imam Husayn,[3] whose coming was foretold by Muhammad. ʻAbdu'l-Bahá, the son and successor of Baháʼu'lláh, wrote that "His Holiness the Prophet Muhammad made a covenant concerning His Holiness the Báb and the Báb was the One promised by Muhammad, for Muhammad gave the tidings of his coming."[4]

In the Baháʼí writings Muhammad is known by the titles the "Apostle of God", the "Seal of the Prophets" and the "Day-Star of Truth".[5] Writing of Muhammad, ʻAbdu'l-Bahá states that through God's aid, he was able to unite the warring tribes of the Arabian Peninsula "to such an extent that one thousand tribes were welded into one tribe".[6] This, he writes, despite the fact that he (Muhammad) was an illiterate man born into a cruel and barbarous culture. He was nevertheless responsible for producing "a book in which, in a perfect and eloquent style. He explained the divine attributes and perfections, the prophethood of the Messengers of God, the divine laws, and some scientific facts."[7] Abdu'l-Baha believed that one of the proofs that the Qurʼan is a product of the divine are the facts about the workings of nature contained therein, facts which he believed were not known in Muhammad's own time. He claimed, for example, that Sura 36 of the Qurʼan depicts a heliocentric understanding of the solar system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muham...ffirm that,"independent" Manifestation of God.

7. 'Amir Alzzalam

'Amir Alzzalam Šayṭānist

If that's the case then Baháʼí is based on a Muslim story that was based on a Christian story, that was based on a Jewish story, that was based on an Egyptian story, a Persian story, and a Mesopotamian story.

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Me thinks each stands on the others shoulders eh?

9. arthra

arthra Baha'i