Text study and calendars

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by Cino, Jun 20, 2022 at 7:53 AM.

1. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

Does your faith have a schedule of text study, a calendar maybe, of which scriptural passage to read when, maybe with the aim of completing the reading of certain texts over the course of a set time period?

Do you participate in such a schedule? What's your experience with this way of reading sacred texts?

2. RJM

RJM God Feeds the Ravens Admin

There is a Catholic Divine Office -- set daily morning, noon and night psalms and prayers, with special readings for feast days and so on:

20220621_075605.jpg

But it is mainly observed by 'the religious' clergy ...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM
  3. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

We did the Office mornings and evenings at Maryvale when on residentials. I continued at home, but got out of the practice.

RJM likes this.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Administrator Admin

The 'Lectionary', the readings during the Mass from the Bible, follows a Sunday cycle and a weekday cycle.

Sundays follow a three year cycle (A, B and C). The A cycle reads Matthew as the primary Gospel, B is Mark and C is Luke. John is read on particular Sundays in each year. As well as the Gospel, there are two readings, one from the NT letters and the other the OT.

Weekdays there is a 2 year cycle (I and II). Year I is read in odd-number years, year II in even-numbered.

If you attend Mass everyday for 3 years, most of the Bible will have been read to him during that time.

Cino likes this.
  5. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

And I recall a neighbor Hindu woman who told an oral tradition to her children every night...a system which took a year to tell and she repeated when completed.

When her mother was in town...she sat and listened and corrected her daughter....as she had been hearing or telling this story nightly her whole life.

Cino likes this.
  7. RJM

I'm out of practice too

8. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

Sounds like it works better in a community or family setting.

Actually, it makes sense to me that this might appeal to our human urge to keep traditions alive and to pass them on to the next generation. This requires community.

Interesting about the length of the cycles, one to three years. That seems about manageable. I know too little about oral traditions to be sure of anything, though.

9. RJM

Quite true. It's natural to do the divine office with the monks when actually staying at a monastery, it's difficult to keep it up for long afterwards, in my experience.

The monastic divine office is much more extended, they pray seven times a day

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022 at 8:25 AM