Amazing upset at European Parliament

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by brian, Jul 3, 2003.

1. brian

brian Administrator Admin

On his first day in his 6 month presidency of Europe, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi makes an unprecedented insult:

Schroeder demands Berlusconi apology

Astonishing, really. Though perhaps what is more astonishing is the fact that someone like Berlusconi can even reach such a position of influence in Europe.

2. brian

Certainly a heated little debate.

Berlusconi denies apologising for Nazi jibe

Certainly an issue that not only damages the Italian premier, but also the European parliament itself. I'm sure some of the British tabloids will be smearing their own brand of Euro-phobia all over this issue.

3. Elizabeth May

Elizabeth May New Member

Did you see what happened? The Italian tourism minister started mouthing off against Germans so Schroeder cancelled a holiday there. Would you believe it???? This is supposed to be the 21st century!

4. brian

5. petertdavis

petertdavis New Member

Tell me, though, why was there no outrage in the European governments when a German politician called Bush, and the US government a bunch of Nazis? I don't see how they can justify their outrage against Berlusconi, yet on the other hand think it's okay to insult Americans in the same way.

6. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Admin

I don't believe that even that's regarded well either in Europe - there was an incident where a German minister was claimed to have connected the two men in a speech - which therefore caused a diplomatic furore. However, she insists she was misquoted. Still not a good situation either.

Here's an extract on the report on the incident involving the German minister:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2271137.stm

7. kiwimac

kiwimac God is NOT about Fear

Frankly,

I do think that Bush and Hitler are much on a par. The difference being that with a dictator you KNOW where you stand.

Kiwimac

8. Iacchus

Iacchus God of the Mask

Of course if the United States hadn't won the war with Germany (World War II), we'd all be speaking German right now.

So it seems we all have to settle for the "Americanization" of things instead.

Whereas I for one, being an American, am not sure how much I like that either - the fact is I don't - but, I think we're far better off now than we would be if Hitler had won the war. :)

9. brucegdc

brucegdc Moderator

Umm.. the US wasn't the only one there... The Brits and Canucks, Aussies, Russians, and much of the rest of the world (including the French) had a great deal to do with it. There's a reason it was called the World War....

Besides, if you know your history, it's only by a margin of a couple of votes that German wasn't the common language of the US. Shortly after the revolutionary war, the question came up - and it was a close call.

10. Iacchus

Iacchus God of the Mask

If I'm not mistaken, most of the war on the Allied side was funded by the United States, and wouldn't have ended with Hitler's defeat if the United States hadn't finally stepped in and began sending troops over.

No, I wasn't aware of that, but what does that have to do with comparing George Bush with Adolf Hitler?

11. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Admin

I didn't know that either - it sounds like a mighty interesting piece of history.