is bigomy wrong? why?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by beginingandend, Mar 10, 2005.

1. truthseeker

truthseeker Well-Known Member

Ideal family situation. We do change day to day, eh?

Lunamoth, if everybody in the polygamous family situation were different people than the ideal situation that I described, then they could make it work according to the type of people they are. Everybody in polygamous situation would have to be okay with the way things are for it to work. There are many different types of women out there that have gone through different things that would make a situation such as bi/polygamy good for them.
    Even if it was legal in western society, the women are too liberated for it to be a widespread thing anyhow. So be it. :cool:

2. littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Creative Thinker

Well, I don't know. I'm slightly acquainted with a woman who has two husbands. Well, one is legal, and the other is in the relationship by mutual consent. It seems to work for them.:p

3. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

a briar patch. ha ha ha:D
    thistles and thorns out of all that whoopi.

i just dont think it is trutly possible to love & devote to more that one wife. at least more than one at a time.
    seems there is more to it than love & an honest relationship in a harem.
    i mean how can you have cake & eat it.

somewhere at sometime, someone is going to get hurt real bad, reguardless of agreements. IMO:(

4. Geist

Geist I am oblivion

I think thats a very sexist view point a woman is entitled to do as she pleases as does the man. I hate people who think like this. And on the down side most people can't aford to live like that anyway.

As for my opinion on bigomy I think that if everyones happy who cares? I think many people think its "Wrong" because the Bible gives you a guide line on how to live 2000 years ago and I believe that things have changed alot since then and so must peopels morals in life.

5. truthseeker

Geist,

Perhaps you should read the whole conversation instead of speed-reading through it.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

6. Geist

Geist I am oblivion

Can I hate the Graphics designer as well?

I know it was meant to be a joke however it still gets under my skin.

7. truthseeker

What gets under your skin? Bigomy? Polygamy? Because that's the discussion...

8. Geist

Geist I am oblivion

The fact that people think its moraly (SP?) wrong. They can't think of something else to back up the argument its just moraly wrong or it is a sin or god says so etc. For example

Person 1: bigomy is moraly wrong
    person 2: Why?
    Person 1: Because God says so.

Can't people think for themselves or something?
    I mean if someone said something like it might spread aids or something like that fair enough.

And the other thing that annoyed me is the way you tried to describe the "pefect" family.

I have an inferiority complex ok I don't like women being thought of as under men and your post flaired my temper.

9. truthseeker

I agree. What makes it wrong is if it is forced. If everyone agrees I think it's great.

If you're reading correctly lunamoth asked me to describe how I think a polygamous situation could work. Had to work from the ideal family situation before I am to clarify the ideal polygamous situation. We all understand ideal is a longshot.

Does anybody have 2.5 kids and a white picket fence around here?

A woman being under a man? To each her own thoughts. But at some point we all realize we can use a bit of help - whether we choose same sex or opposite sex. I remember when I could handle everything. Now there aren't enough hours in the day for me to be able to handle everything.

Taking on a spouse does not have to imply submissiveness. Taking on more than one spouse is sacrifice - for those who would take it seriously. I am not of a polygamous nature. Nor am I homosexual. But I can see, through understanding others, how people can be.

10. Quahom1

Quahom1 What was the question?

In the United States, and I suspect many other countries, it is legally wrong, and the legality came from the moral values of the people who invoked the laws.

God of the Bible OT never decreed polygamy as immoral (as far as I can find). So that came from somewhere else. The only thing God frowned on was the taking of another man's wife...(I think that falls under "Thou shalt not covet...").

No one called women "inferior". I think you assumed that based on your own experiences, and applied the same to the words you read.

For example, the intelligence and tactical cunning of a woman brought one of the stronges men in history to his knees (think Samson and Delila). ;)

v/r

Q

11. Geist

Geist I am oblivion

Yeah I wonder who made these laws?
    I'm not saying the Bible does say that I was using it as an example of how bible bashers try to force their ways onto others.

No one called women "inferior". I think you assumed that based on your own experiences, and applied the same to the words you read.
    Refresh my memoery on that story sometime won't you please?

I know that its just the way you had it written it annoyed me.

12. truthseeker

You seem annoyed with quite a few things, Geist. Your attitude stinks. You act like some weirded out 16 year old who is begging for some kind of attention that doesn't have much to do with the threads you are posting on.

13. kiwimac

kiwimac God is NOT about Fear

Please remember that the penalty for Bigamy is the same the world over....

MORE THAN ONE MOTHER-IN-LAW!

Kiwimac<Ducks and covers> :D

14. Quahom1

D'OHhh! How could a man forget that?...easy...;) at least for a little while...

v/r

Q

15. Geist

Geist I am oblivion

Maybe its because I am 16 years old?
    And I am weirded out by most of socity because I am the way I am.
    And I do post about the topic if you read my previous posts!

16. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Admin

Yes, let's try and chill with the responses. :)

Sometimes the best reaction is none...

17. Quahom1

Hey truth, now would be a good time...SSD

v/r

Q

18. Quahom1

I am sorry for assuming you were more worldly...my bad. I thought you to be a bit older...please forgive my assumption. (and innuendos).

v/r

Q

19. truthseeker

Right on...

That was so not cool, Geist. I hope there aren't any hard feelings. Sorry.

20. Geist

Geist I am oblivion

I don't hold grudges against people anyway theres no point to it. It only leads to more suffering in the long run.

What do you mean by more worldly?