Dreaming the future?

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score

I seem to have distinct types of dreams. Certainly there are the obvious psychological projections. There are others which are far more cryptic. And there's one group that seem to be of the future.

There's never a general descriptive overview – merely fragments that can often seem meaningless in themselves. Sometimes information can be extracted either during or inferred after

For example, I had one where I was in a car driving towards Aberdeen. Excepting that Aberdeen was south in the direction of travel. Where I live, Aberdeen is a few hundred miles away to the north. I can pinpoint the exact coastal road involved in the dream – there aren't many on the east of Scotland. Funny, as well – there was also a region of the coast north of Scotland – around Buchan Point, perhaps? – that seems to have featured in some of my dreams. Basically involves a hill rising from the coast, with a road curving around the base and a ruin of some sort that is of interest.

At some point, if I can, I really will have to investigate this further – but what then? Will I drive north of Aberdeen, experience nothing, then drive back and only then experience a form of self-prophetic deja view? Or is there meaning in the place north of Aberdeen?

That is one particular series of dreams about the future (and now wondering why a number were focussed there).

I've also dreamed of being in urban Japan (I remember the trainstations well aboev ground level) and also have a snap of driving a black sports car in either Monaco or Monte Carlo – somewhere rich – and having had an argument with a very young woman. She has been out late without telling me. I have picked her up the next day. Nowadays, it's more than likely the young woman is one of my daughters.

Here's the oddest thing – a couple of extremely clear dreams have been set in a particular house. It is very distinctive, though for some reason I can far better describe it from the outside, and the gardens. Funny thing – a very good female friend has also dreamed of this exact house. I simply stated the style of the building – and she told me the details I already knew, and a few I did not remember. That was truly astonishing.

What am I dreaming of? Possible futures? I don't know. It is intriguing, though. And I will definitely have to drive north of Aberdeen one day. Will I find that house there? Who knows. If I do then likely my brain will fry a little more!

So now we're on the topic, does anyone else here experience dreams that sometimes appear as being possibly of the future and future events? I figure I'm not the only one who has these type. :)

"Do you think that what happens on one side of a window is more or less real than what happens on the other side?
No?
Then why believe such a distinction exists between internal and external reality?
The dream world is no more or less real than the waking world.
To assert one at the expense of the other is to deny the fullness of reality." --- me; Paradox

Ah, but the dream world is so much more cryptic! Or would you say that's simply through looking too long through one side of the window?

Either way, I'm sure I'll be bringing this thread back up when I've been beyond Aberdeen. :)

Btw - you're welcome to remind us all of your site with a link. :) I wouldn't mind reading more of "Paradox" at a later date.

One thing about me that I've noticed is highly unusual is the type of dream I tend to have. I only know one other person who has had dreams like mine, and he and I share some sort of "connection" that I can't really describe any better than I just have. All of my dreams are dark, surreal, and extremely screwed up, and not just in a psychological sense. I tend to receive images that I've never seen before in my life, and many of the dreams feature extreme human cruelty. The common theme is death.

I have also tended to have dreams with visitors, all of whom I believe are the same person, "the Goddess." At least, that's what she called herself the first time I dreamt of her. She told me her name, which was comprised of all sorts of characters from all different languages, and was unpronouncable. I don't remember which characters they were, but even if I did I'm sure I wouldn't do a very good job of writing them down. ;)

I'm not claiming to be "special" in any way, as I'm sure there are more people out there than myself and my friend who have dreams of this nature. Most people I've come across though tend to have to typical "my teeth fell out, what does that mean?" sort of dreams. I've never really had those, ever. Sometimes I wish I could, but other times I'm grateful for what I have, and my friend and I have both noticed that when the dreams go away completely, that tends to coincide with times in our lives when we aren't doing something we should be doing. So I guess it's just the burden we have to live with.

Out of all the truly insane dreams I have had in my life, only one of them was prophetic, and it was about something absolutely insignificant, and even though I knew it happened, I began to doubt myself after the fact, as one would when something supposedly impossible happens to them. I'm not sure if I will ever have another prophetic dream. Perhaps I only needed to have that one to gain whatever I gained from the experience.

Also, in conjunction with the dreams, both my friend and I experience daily occurrences of deja vu and coincidence, to an alarming degree. I explained all of this to my husband when we first met a few years ago, and he thought it was incredible. I'd never met anyone else like that, until coming into contact with the friend I mentioned above. I'd be interested to hear if any of you have similar experiences.

Dreams themselves are simply mysterious. I had long avoided daring to make too sense of too much from my dreams - every time a level of interpretation is explained away, there is always the possibility of other unexplored levels to the dream left uninterpreted. I've never really had a prophetic dream - though to etll truth just before the big 9/11, I had a dream that an aeroplane came down on the outskirts of Hull, crashing into the houses and littering the roads with fire and debris. In all seriousness I watched the skies after, wondering if any of the number of planes on the flight paths above would fall. 9/11 itself was far bigger than that dream, though - which I assign as an uneasy coincidence. The idea of sharing close personal associations with another friend sounds fascinating - glad to see that I'm not the only one who sometimes has such experiences. I've only had the single shared experience. You sound like you get a lot of interesting imagery and connections during sleep itself. Btw - the "my teeth fell out" dream - had that before - very disturbing! Especially when coupled with a false awakening dream. I once read that it was associated with a major emotional change - which indeed was the state of my life at the time. Anyway, welcome aboard. :)

Don't get me wrong, I've had dreams where my teeth fall out, but it's usually accompanied by something extremely disturbing that used to leave me wondering what the hell was wrong with my mind! I can't just have simple dreams where a bunny appears and it symbolizes fertility, or a family member dies and it symbolizes great change, or whatever the traditional meanings of dreams are.

I've also had false awakenings, if that's what you mean by sleep paralysis, where you wake up but can't move and are eventually pulled back into the dream. I used to fear going to sleep, but over the past few years I've just learned to get used to it. I've recorded about 40 of my dreams so far, and will continue to do so, in hopes that they fuel my creativity in some way, or that I can gain some new insight from them.

I actually had one dream as a teenager, where a group of monks came to me and described the concept of "no-self" in Buddhism, something I'd never heard of outside of dreamland. It wasn't until a few months ago, when I was getting very interested in Buddhism as a spiritual path, that I read a text on the concept of "anatta" which was the same thing they'd been saying to me.

Very strange stuff.

The dream of "no-self" simply has to be placed in that "important dreams" box. Actually learning anything, not least with a specific spiritual aspect, seems a very important dream indeed. Absolutely fascinating - you've been dining well with Morpheus, I guess. :)

I said:
Absolutely fascinating - you've been dining well with Morpheus, I guess. :)

I would say so! If he's there, I never noticed, because he's been there since I was born.

I'm sure you've noticed by now my obsession with the dream world (I've got Neil Gaiman listed as an interest on LJ, I'm using a Delirium icon, and my chosen name is Aisling, which means "dream" in Irish).

:D

Delirium was easily my favourite. :)

my name used to be something else but I've forgotten where I left it and the butterflies didn't remind me.

I said:
Delirium was easily my favourite. :)

my name used to be something else but I've forgotten where I left it and the butterflies didn't remind me.

Yup, she's my favourite too, mostly because I've always tended to act like that in real life, as scary as that is. If people had cameras running when I'm alone, they'd see some surreal and hysterical stuff (I blame the dreams). ;)

I have been having similiar phenomenon happening to me lately. I myself rarely have dreams, but when i do they are crystal clear, as if i was actually living inside the dream. When i awake from the dream i can remember the dream to every full extent that happend, down to what every person was wearing, what was being done, and who said what. Later on, within 2 weeks to 1 month, my dream actually comes true (to an extent).

For examples i once before had a dream of watching my father get killed. He went away to a different country for a buisness trip and while walking around someone shot him. One month after that dream happend, my mom picked up her stuff and moved to Rome for a few months because her and my dad where getting a divorce. My dream symbolized that i was going to be losing my father from my life.

Another dream i had was my family and myself moved away from our current location. No other reason but just to move away to another country. Ended up leaving my friends, my gf, and my family behind without even being able to say goodbye. Two weeks after i had this dream i found out i am most likely moving away to Japan to go live there for 2-3 years. Having to leave my friends, my family, and my gf back at home.

The most recent one was of my girlfriend. I had a dream that we were at a house at a party. She then leaves away in a white grand am (2003). She calls me, 5 minutes later, on her cell phone telling me we are through, that she has found someone else. Later, within the same week, i found out my girlfriend considered someone else sexy, and was having thoughts of breaking up with me for this other individual.

The first dream of my losing my dad happend about 5 years ago. But the other 2 dreams have happend within the past 2 months. From what i can see i have a tiny ability to see the future, but only the ideas that are going to be brought to me, not the exact future itself. Can anyone help me clarify what my dreams tell me when i have them?

dreams as future deja vu and as entertainment

If you can record your dreams faithfully, then one day and another day you will find that what you dreamed of happens. So you have a dream of the future?

The common sense explanation is that among dreams some will be similar to the events of one's life in a succession of days outside the dream world, unavoidably. You read a novel and you will also experience events in your succession of days that you read about in the novel.

Sounds too common-sensical to be intriguing? But that seems to be the genuine explanation of dreams being fulfilled in the future; unless you want to ascribe any kind of virtue to dreams as a prognostication of the future, in the sense that you get to have a private preview of a movie that will be shown to the general public later.

About dreams being intriguing, I have always occupied my curiosity with the thought that if we could dream on command and prescribe the kinds and manners of our dreams, what an entertainment it would be. So convenient and very much more fantastic than the movies which have exhausted their possible plots and settings as to become ennui.

I am trying to acquire the skill to dream on command and to order the kinds of and the manners of dreaming. Boy, that should save a lot of time and patience hoping for something very new and absorbing on cable TV.

Susma Rio Sep

I would hate "dreams on command". I would much rather be surprised by what my mind - or wherever dreams come from - cooks up for me of an evening. I can't complain, anwyay; the special effects in my dreams sometimes rival anything Lucas or Spielberg could come up with. I think my experience is fairly unusual, in that I remember my dreams almost every night and always have. Also, they are often very vivid.

I have actually had dreams which later came true. Mostly inconsequential things, thank goodness, like the time when I was in junior high and dreamed that a friend of mine got his very long hair cut. He always maintained that he would never, ever cut his hair. But the morning after I had this dream, he was the first person I saw when I got to school - and he had gotten his hair cut. I think this was the first time this sort of thing ever happened to me. Since then, it has happened every once in awhile.

My dreams are always surprising. :)

I'd love to track down some of these dream landscapes, though. Can't wait to visit the east coast of Scotland, in an attempt to track down a particular aera.

And who lives in that big tudor house?

If the dreams I mentioned are related to my future, then I can't wait to meet it. :)

OF course, I'm open to other explanations, though. Something to intrigue. :)

I'm inclined to go along with the general idea that dreams are the mind's way of dumping the daily trash.

But I have had frequent (every so often, but many through the years) dreams that were snippets of a future reality. And always, without exception, that reality was a moment that coincided with a shift or change in my life. The dream might be the night before, or months in advance, and I never seek them. They just come to me when it is time. I call it "deja vu", but I'm not certain that is the common conception of the term.

I think that dreams are just a junkyard for the days thoughts, but then I'll just be having a normal kip and all of a sudden someone's face who I haven't seen or thought of in years will just appear out of the blue and it's that random element that I can't seem to explain.

We all have pretty strange dreams at times but where's the dividing line between the dreaming and the thinking afterwards - it all blurs into one.

The great thing about dreams is that each is unique. You can't explain or describe it in enough detail to someone else so you have an identical image of anything and I think that's what sets it apart from everything else. It's why I find them amazing. You sit around for weeks wanting a dream and then forget about it and have nights full of them - and wake up and don't remember a single moment; just that you had one! Or did you?

Better than out of the mind entertainments

Anzac said:
I think that dreams are just a junkyard for the days thoughts, but then I'll just be having a normal kip and all of a sudden someone's face who I haven't seen or thought of in years will just appear out of the blue and it's that random element that I can't seem to explain.

We all have pretty strange dreams at times but where's the dividing line between the dreaming and the thinking afterwards - it all blurs into one.

The great thing about dreams is that each is unique. You can't explain or describe it in enough detail to someone else so you have an identical image of anything and I think that's what sets it apart from everything else. It's why I find them amazing. You sit around for weeks wanting a dream and then forget about it and have nights full of them - and wake up and don't remember a single moment; just that you had one! Or did you?

Dreams are better than any entertainments outside the mind, and convenient and economical, even nightmares, provided you wake up from them.

Now, if we could only manage to dream at will and plan the dreams we want. What a time we will have!

If you know of any sure method of producing dreams as we fall asleep and planning the kinds we want, let me know.

I have been searching along this direction; so far nothing but those guys trying to make money offering to teach you interpretation of dreams. Nonsense. Who wants dream interpretations, when the dreams are good enough themselves -- for very good entertainment.

Susma Rio Sep

Re: Better than out of the mind entertainments

Susma Rio Sep said:
Now, if we could only manage to dream at will and plan the dreams we want. What a time we will have!

Susma Rio Sep

It seems you have an interest in what could be called "Lucid Dreaming", where an individual gains consciousness in his state of dreaming, i.e. while in the middle of a dream.... you say to your self "Hey I'm dreaming". From that point on, with a little practice, you could control/command the dream to shape itself to your liking. You could fly at will, or have an orgasm with that girl you've been thinking about for so long. Your only limit is your imagination.

Here is a link to start you off; http://www.lucidity.com/ check out the FAQ.

If you want more resources, I could look into it for you.

Re: Better than out of the mind entertainments

Susma Rio Sep said:
Dreams are better than any entertainments outside the mind, and convenient and economical, even nightmares, provided you wake up from them.

Susma Rio Sep

An your life then ? I thought we made our dreems come true in an awaken state.

Dreems are nice (at least some of them) and important for our subconcious mind. But don't try to do a purpose of your life with them ! We have all of us, only one chance to live.

Take a brake when you are tired, but do not abandon hope for a better day. As long as we live, there is always hope.

If you need a not expensive entertainment, just take a walk in the nature. Life is a miracle ! Do not close your eyes and say to yourself : only in dream I can live.

You can program your mind to have a lucid dream. You can also see the future with them, if you really want to. But don't forget one thing : lucid dreems will give you after a while an emptyness. When you see the future, when you talk about it, you can change it. Or it won't be like in your dream and make you confuse.

Anyway, the purpose of life is to live it. so, please don't forget this when you are our of your dreem !

Have a nice day,

Alexa

good evening folks........ did a search on 'dreams', and found this thread.

yes, I Brian, i've had dreams of the 'future'.

i was nearly 26 years old (my...that was a long time ago), and pregnant with my second child, the very early stage...still no tummy. my husband was in the u.s.a.f. at the time, and we were at a state-side air-base.
we awoke that morning, and i said,
"i've just had the most extrodinary dream! it was sooooo Real!"
and i told him about it. the working in a huge factory setting. the rows and rows of some kind of paper files. and me, waiting-my-turn, by a machine that would do something with the cards in my hand, thinking "if they just had more copies......!!". and some man standing at a counter speaking to me............"
he looked at me with the usual 'blow off' expression.... left for work, and i went on with my housewife duties and tending our 10 month old son.

our daughter was 6 weeks old in 1969, when he received his orders for an unaccompanied tour overseas. i'd be going to california to be close to his family for the year he'd be gone.

we arrived in california. found an apartment for the children and i, and off he went to school, prepretory for his assignment. then, he left. and we were all alone.

i, gratefully, got a job with lockheed. in the blueprint department. things were going nicely... as nicely as can be expected for seperated spouses, and raising a family alone while daddy was away in late 1970.

i dropped the kids, 9 months and 27 months old, off at their aunt's and went to work that morning. it was foggy. grey. dreary. clocked in. and went to work. doing what i did every day.

the ticket at the counter requested a specific blueprint. so i went back into the rows and rows of print files to seek that alpha-numeric print. i hated the dustiness of those rows.... found the section empty. thought, "dog-gone-it!", and went to the microfilm draws to get the necessary cards. found them. checked them for latest updates, and went to stand in line to wait my turn at the mircofilm-repro machine. as i stood there thinking, "if only they had more copies in file......!", a man at the counter called out, "who's got my request, # such and such?", i said, "i do. it'll be ready in a moment."...... and the dream of nearly 1 1/2 years ago flashed before my eyes as if on an invisible screen.

i was suddenly living both scenes at the same time. the dream scene, super-imposed over the one i was living. at the same time, i actually wondered which one was real. then, just as suddenly, everything regained normalacy.

i was stunned. captivated. and, intrigued.

today, i don't think of them as something abnormal. rather, i look forward to them with anticipation.

i've learned to differenciate the dream states that i experience.

i've dreamed of things we'd refer to as.....past; future; other-wheres; learning/teaching dreams; spiritual; and plain ol ordinary run of the mill dreams.

it's been a marvelous journey........at times, mindboggeling. and, always....astounding.

granni

Back