Karma and reincarnation

Salim Syed

Islamic Perspective
Reaction score
I have read a little about reincarnation and Karam. My understanding is that in Karma one is reincarnated into another being based on ones previous lifes good and bad deeds. (I think this is correct).

I was wondering how this takes place i.e. what force is there that judges the good and bad, and constantly keeps the process of reincarnation going.

Is this based on one God or many Gods or no God.

If it is based on no God, then what is the controlling force behind reincarnation.

Please forgive my ignorance, eastern religions are very unknown to me.

Appreciate your responses ...

There are numerous eBooks avaliable on this site that go into more depth, but here are some basic articles to get you started:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma1.htm
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/reincarnation.htm

Buddhism is largely agnostic. Many regard it as atheistic, but I believe this is a flawed understanding of the religion. But in answer to your question, God does not control karma and rebirth. As for what's good and bad, read up on Buddhist ethics.

Also, rebirth isn't nessecarily a physical process. It's largely symbolic. Try and get a copy of the edition of The Tibetan Book of the Dead published by the Shambhala Library. It has a commentry by Chogyam Trungpa that provides a very good and detailed discussion of the idea of rebirth as a symbolic rather than physical process.

Namaste Saponification,

thank you for the post.

i suspect that the links to Buddhanet.net will be much more useful than the Bardo Thodol at this point in his investigation, don't you?

;)

Thanks for the replies, really have not got time at the moment to read alot, any chance of a simple answer to the questions ?

thanks

Yeah, Vajradhara... but if he reads what's on that site and is looking for a source of further reading, well, that's probably the best there is.

A simple answer to your questions? Those two links are as simple as you'll get.

Namaste and Salaam Syed,

thank you for the post.

i agree with Saponification... the Buddhanet e-learning links are probably the best that you could find, at this point in your search of our tradition.

that being said, i will offer my own limited view on your questions... a "simple" answer as it were :)

Salim Syed said:
I have read a little about reincarnation and Karam. My understanding is that in Karma one is reincarnated into another being based on ones previous lifes good and bad deeds. (I think this is correct).

first and foremost, and this can be hard to get straight, Buddhism does not teach reincarnation, our teaching is of rebirth, and whilst the two may seem to be the same, they are not.

simplistically, reincarnation is a teaching which implies that there is something in-carnated and this incarnation then re-in-carnates in various forms. essentially, the bit here is that this in-carnation is an eternal aspect of self or soul. in Buddhism, this idea of a permentant self or soul is called the Atman, which is, essentially, the Sanatana Dharma (Hindu) belief.

Buddhism, by contrast, teaches An-Atman. in Sanskrit, the prefix "an" denotes the negative; so the teaching is called No Self or Soul.

so... since, in our view, there is nothing incarnated to begin with, there can be no re-incarnation.

so.. what is rebirth?

this is a more difficult question to really get without some proper foundation of our teachings being established. simplisitically, we can say that what is reborn is the total sum of our accumulated actions (postive or negative) along with very subtle aspect of consciousness.

the typical analogy used in our teaching is the image of two candles, one lit and the other unlit. your thoughts, feelings, emotive states and karma are the "flame" of the burning candle. when you touch the flame to the new candle, the flame is not the same as the one which was originally burning, however, without the original flame, this flame would not arise.

of course, this is very lose and fast... so, it would be of benefit for you to read the more thorough explanations, should you be so inclined.

I was wondering how this takes place i.e. what force is there that judges the good and bad, and constantly keeps the process of reincarnation going.
good question.

in the Buddhist teaching, there is no being that sits in judgement upon our actions and no Judgement Day. in the Buddhist understanding of reality, it is understood that, as the common saying goes "you reap what you sow." which is a rather short-hand way of saying that, for Buddhists, the process of these "rebirths" is primarily due to karma, that is, the accumulation of positive or negative ethical and moral intentional actions, thoughts and feelings.

using another analogy.. that of a farmer, is also quite prevelant in our teachings.

if a farmer plants a crop, tends to it well, provides water and removes weeds; when the harvest is gathered, we do not say that he is being "rewarded", rather, he is reaping what he sowed. by the same token, if that farmer chooses not to water his field, remove the weeds and take care of it, when the harvest is bitter, we do not say that he is being punished, again, he is reaping what he sowed.

this is, in some sense, similiar to the Islamic view that each being will be responsible for their own actions at Judgement Day, with the obvious differences not withstanding.

Is this based on one God or many Gods or no God.
Saponification is correct... Buddhism does not deny that there are beings which are called Gods. far from it actually. so, in this sense, Buddhism is not atheistic at all. by the same token, Buddhism does deny that there is an ultimate Creator Deity, and in this narrow sense, is atheistic.

so... our process of rebirth is not predicated upon any divine being, one way or the other. in point of fact, in our teachings, the Gods, too, are subject to karma and, eventually, rebirth. thus, for the Buddhist, taking rebirth in the Heavenly realms is not really a goal... to take rebirth as a human is the best rebirth that a being can have, in our teaching.

If it is based on no God, then what is the controlling force behind reincarnation.
rebirth, in our view, is considered a natural process... rather like gravity. thus, no controlling force is necessary as it operates quite automatically.

there are various factors which determine the nature of a sentient beings rebirth, as chief as Karma is, and it is pretty darned important, it is only 1 of 24 psychological factors that condition the next arising.

Please forgive my ignorance, eastern religions are very unknown to me.

Appreciate your responses ...
no worries :) it is through discussion and dialog, of this nature, that we can hope to gain a better understanding of the myraid beings that inhabit this planet and the means that they have for understanding the whys of their existence, such that it is.

as i say, this is a rather simplistic and somewhat general response.

Vajradhara's explanations are always accurate but, I think, a little heavy.

If I may offer my own humble and fallable opinion.

As it is ones own deluded mind that makes rebirth necessary, it is, in essence, you who chooses your next form.

I see it as a sort of character building. Just as in this life, all of your experiences determine how you will react to any situation; in all your lives, all of your accumulated Karma will determine how you react to your next rebirth.

oh no.. i didn't take it that way, either :)

to be frank... this is not the first time that i've heard it said that my explanation can be a bit "heavy" as it were.. as such, i do appreciate that my style of explanation is, for some, a bit off-putting.

still.. it's not like i'm insisting on all the Sanskrit teminology and stuff like that :p

"Karma, O monks, is what I call intention, which manifests through body, speech and mind"
- Shakyamuni Buddha

:)

I don't really believe in reincarnation, well.. I used to... but that was in a past life...

Paladin said:
I don't really believe in reincarnation, well.. I used to... but that was in a past life...

Namaste Paladin,

thank you for the post.

no worries, Buddhism does not teach reincarnation, that is more properly a teaching of Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism) and Judaism.

metta,

~v

I might be going off on a bit of a tangent but here goes,

years ago, I read in a book or someone told me that, in a sense, rebirth is constantly taking place and that the different forms you can take when you are reborn (hungry ghost, animal, i forget the rest, perhaps you can fill me in) are metaphorical and only describe your state of mind or personality as a human.

What's your take on this?

Thanks
Andy

State of mind, not being exclusive to the critical thinking, sensory perceiving, conscious, memory accumulating mind - Tib 'nams' (I think?); but to Mind / ground luminosity / alaya vijnana - Tib 'yeshe'.
All experience is a continuum. This human body, with the ordinary mind will pass away as all compounded things do, and only one's karma will continue, not any inherently existing 'self'.

The experiences that one's karma will bring into effect might be extremely painful, tasting primarily of the suffering of pain. This would be hell, the animal realm, or the realm of hungry shades.
If one's karma is more positive, one will experience primarily the suffering of change (loss), and that of conditionality, compulsive behaviour (never being satisfied with what one has.) This would be a human birth, a demi-god, or a god.
If one has gone beyond karma however...

Taking the Buddha's words too literally, we lose the meaning behind them. But it's a bit deeper than just a metaphor for states of this human mind. It goes way beyond that, otherwise, when the body dies, the ordinary mind, which is supported by the body, will die too. The Buddha Mind however is beyond karma, beyond birth and death. That's where we want to be, utterly free from the shackles of cyclic existence.

Namaste Cavalier,

thank you for the post.

cavalier said:
years ago, I read in a book or someone told me that, in a sense, rebirth is constantly taking place

this is a correct view. each moment of consciousness arises conditioned by the previous moment of consicousness. in this manner, rebirth of the being is a continual process.

and that the different forms you can take when you are reborn (hungry ghost, animal, i forget the rest, perhaps you can fill me in) are metaphorical and only describe your state of mind or personality as a human.

this is a bit more tricky. whislt is it certainly correct that various mental states will be exhibited in beings and said mental states will arise from preceeding moments of consciousness, it is not correct to say that this only applies to the present beings state of mind.

in Buddhist thought, there are 31 planes of existence. however, beings typically take rebirth in one of 6 of them simplistically; heavenly realms, deva realms, human, animal, hungry ghost and hell realms.

for instance, the hungry ghost realm are beings which have gaping maws and ravenous hunger and thirst, however, their necks are so narrow that they cannot swallow anything. whilst this certain describes some of the beings which we may all know, it would be a mistake to think that this is not being meant as it is taught, in my view.

i suppose that, in some ways, it really depends on where a being is with the overall praxis. for many beings, especially non-Buddhists, the idea of a literal rebirth seems a bit far-fetched and, as such, many modern interperters will tend to gloss over or even ignore the teachings that explicitly talk about these realms as actual destinations for a beings rebirth. in the mistaken view, in my opinion, that such a presentation would be more palatable to the modern being.

this is, in my estimation, a legacy of the initial spreading of the Dharma in the West where much of the religious aspects of the path were not taught, in the attempt to appeal to the Enlightenment reader.

so, to sum up, yes, that is a valid view and the view of it being a real process which happens upon the dissolution of the aggregates is also a valid cognition and it depends on where a being is on the path on how much they can accept of these teachings.

metta,

~v

Awaiting_the_fifth said:

As it is ones own deluded mind that makes rebirth necessary, it is, in essence, you who chooses your next form.

I see it as a sort of character building. Just as in this life, all of your experiences determine how you will react to any situation; in all your lives, all of your accumulated Karma will determine how you react to your next rebirth.

This is where I get confused..this all sounds like reincarnation, not rebirth. If I am choosing my next form, if my next life is determined by my previous lives, then surely there must be something continuous about me that survives death and goes on to experience the consequences of my actions..something to which Karma attaches..yet, I thought that Buddhism denies the idea of the self surviving death..??

Nick said:
This is where I get confused..this all sounds like reincarnation, not rebirth. If I am choosing my next form, if my next life is determined by my previous lives, then surely there must be something continuous about me that survives death and goes on to experience the consequences of my actions..something to which Karma attaches..yet, I thought that Buddhism denies the idea of the self surviving death..??

I think this is a good point. There would have to be a "self" that made the choice or was under dellusion, or could make mistakes. In light of the teaching of the Five Skanhas, where upon death the "heaps" go back to the basic elements from which they came, what is it that enlivens these aggregates in the first place?
If we attend to the ideas about rebirth then we may well attend to what Bodhidharma taught about our true self nature is Buddha, and to look outside of this is the great illusion. If Mind manifests itself using the five aggregates and leaves them behind after a while (upon conventional death) don't we then get very close to the western idea of first cause?

Back