Which religion do you follow?

Discussion in 'Comparative Studies' started by Mason, Oct 28, 2005.

?

Which religion do you follow?

1. Christianity

23.0%
  2. Judaism

2.7%
  3. Islam

10.6%
  4. Buddhism

4.4%
  5. Taoism

0.9%
  6. Hinduism

2.7%
  7. Baha'i

8.8%
  8. Paganism

7.1%
  9. Mine is not listed here.

23.0%
  10. I'm Searching for the right Religion for me. / None.

16.8%
  1. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

What is a perennialist?

2. AletheiaRivers

AletheiaRivers New Member

3. Operacast

Operacast Member

Hmm! Then I'd say that I'm definitely a perennialist, coupled with my previous description of my beliefs (above).

Cheers,

Operacast

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

I found it! Remember that discussion on what is the difference for the folks that feel they are christian but can't claim the -ity?

over on the rules of the Christianity board...

- Mystical interpretations of Christianity should be posted on the Mysticism board
    - NeoPagan/New Age interpretations of Christianity should be posted on the NeoPaganism board, or the main Alternative Beliefs section.

and yes to perennialism and pluralism....guess I clicked correctly despite the fact that I'm working on walking the walk of our elder brother and wayshower since I gravitate, expand into other territories it appears the -ity is incorrect for me....

5. Mick

Mick World Citizen

I'm a member of the Baha'i Faith, which makes me a Baha'i.

6. IMSassafras

IMSassafras A Believer

I follow the teachings of Baha'u'llah, the Prophet Founder of the Baha'i Faith. I declared as a Baha'i in 1999. Since then I have more understanding of all the religions and respect those religions I misunderstood in the past, like Christianity.

Sassafras

7. ThePennyDrops

ThePennyDrops New Member

"I'm Searching for the right Religion for me. / None"

Although at the moment I am moving towards Judaism, it is very likely that I will convert within the next few years.

8. Käthe

Käthe Kitchen Witch

Panentheist.

In particular, Pagan.

9. thotzRthingz

thotzRthingz thotzRthingz

just for the record, i did not select any of the POLL options.

i consider myself to be a spiritual person, and i believe in god. but i follow no religion and am not searching for one, been-there done-that for the first two decades of my current sojourn in this physical shell. at the same time; i knock no one's pursuit of any religion/belief-system, or their choice to go-it-alone (so to speak).

i think organized religion can serve a very useful purpose. but i also think religion not to be absolutely necessary for anyone, as ever continuing & enlightening revelations about god and our relationship to same unfold within us (and inspite of our choice as to whether we want to be enlightened or not).

peace

10. Käthe

Käthe Kitchen Witch

Not to mention disorganized religions.

11. Operacast

Operacast Member

LOLOL!!!:) :)

Great Käthe! You made my day!

Best,

Operacast

12. Käthe

Käthe Kitchen Witch

Glad you enjoyed it, and merry meet, Operacast!

BTW, is you nom-de-internet indicitive of a love for opera? Heavy or light?

13. Druweid

Druweid Sage ~ Student ~ Servant

The only accurate way I can answer this question, is to say I follow the religion of my heart.

I could be called a great many things; Pagan, Heretic, Panentheist, Archtypalist, Agnostic, Deist, Universalist, or Witch. I resist labels, and it seems labels resist me as well.

The tenets of my religion are Faith, Hope, and Charity. My Creed is to endeavor to harm none. My philosophy is that of all that holds value in this world, love is the only treasure whose bounty increases, not by hoarding, but by giving it away freely. I do not Worship, per se', I commune with the Great Mystery, the source of all that is sacred.

So call me whatever you will, but please, don't call me late for dinner. ;)

-- Druweid

14. Käthe

Käthe Kitchen Witch

So, missing lunch is OK then? ;)

15. Operacast

Operacast Member

Went back and forth for quite a while as to whether or not to give too detailed an answer here, since it's not strictly on topic:) Anyway, one response probably wouldn't hurt.

So: To answer the question, hard to say. Some view Donizetti, for instance, as _relatively_ light in the world of opera. But I don't, especially given the great intensity of some of his vocal writing in works like Roberto Devereux and Poliuto. The composers I never tire of are Donizetti, Tchaikovsky, Janacek and (probably my two favorites) Berlioz and Wagner. Many might view that as a pretty mixed bag, I suppose. But they each have highly individual traits when it comes to portraying in-depth states of mind, and so I find them infinitely fascinating.

It might be interesting to see any of the correspondences among posters here between religious persuasion and musical preferences:)

Cheers,

Operacast

16. Käthe

Käthe Kitchen Witch

Fun idea for a topic.

Why not start it?

Hmmmm, we could each list (and rank, and give examples of) our favorite music, and religious/spiritual/philosophical path.

17. Out There

Out There Servant of God

I was born a Muslim like every other individual that has ever come into this earth. Fortunately, I was raised in a Muslim household, and I am still a Muslim and insya-Allah I will remain as such till the end :).

18. Operacast

Operacast Member

Welcome Aidyl Nurhadi --

Since -- as I've perhaps implied here already(?) -- I changed from being an agnostic to a believer because of -- primarily -- intense and avid reading of the strongly pioneering ethical reflections in the earliest texts embodying the thoughts of figures like Buddha, Confucius, Jesus, and so on, I'm always curious which ethical insights from such historic figures remain most important to newcomers to this thread like yourself. Please? Many thanks.

Also, harking back to a relatively new aspect in this current discussion, can you name any particular composer or set of compositions in general that exert an especially strong pull for you, either because of a generally strong attraction in terms of simple enjoyment or because of deeper resonances that such compositions may hold for you, perhaps related -- or perhaps not -- to some of the associations you may already have in your mind with matters spiritual? Again, many thanks.

Best,

Operacast

19. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist In Galt We Trust

I'm a Eudaimonist. It's a nontheistic philosophical path.

eudaimonia,

M.

20. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I don't recall being born a Muslim. I do recall being born a human, however.