What do we know about God?

Jim M2 said:
Hi
If I define God in a broad sense, that is as both a first cause and as the whole of existence, then every physical and mental experience I've ever had counts as knowledge of Him (or Her or It).

Amen Brother.
You are He, learning to know Him ever more perfectly. He is We, seeing and enjoying himself grow up.

Jim M2 said:
Hi
If I define God in a broad sense, that is as both a first cause and as the whole of existence, then every physical and mental experience I've ever had counts as knowledge of Him (or Her or It).
Isn't that superfluous? Why say 'god' when we have so many pretty words that actually describe events, life, existence?

Jaiket said:
Isn't that superfluous? Why say 'god' when we have so many pretty words that actually describe events, life, existence?

"God" is simply another noun just like any other pretty word. It is the most common word we have of refering to The Supreme Creator. As a past atheist I can understand your umbrage. But you have to agree that all of the events, life and existence that we experience, stemmed from a single event. Be it Big Bang or Singularity or any other pretty word. Because Consciousness exists (which allows us the right to critique it) it is the unknowable purpose behind its existence that Believers, via Faith, revere and refere to as God.

I personally don't believe in God but many do and that's cool. I do however believe in Good and I follow that. I seek out good loving and positive people, places and situations and that's what 'God' is for me - the loving impulse.

Jaiket said:
Providing that, unlike me, you believe such a being exists.
God has created everything physical and spiritual, that means everything which could be proved physical or material (or of spiritual realm) that is created by God, so God cannot be perceived by man through all the above mentioned measures, impossible. This claim and argument/reason has been inferred by me from Quran, I am an Ahmadi a faith in Islam, other believers could likewise quote their claim and arguments/reasons from their own scriptures, if they have any or if they desire to.
The Holy Quran: Chapter 6: Al-An`am
[6:101] And they hold the jinn* to be partners with Allah, although He created them; and they falsely ascribe to Him sons and daughters without any knowledge. Holy is He and exalted far above what they attribute to Him, [6:102] The Originator of the heavens and the earth. How can He have a son when He has no consort, and when He has created everything and has knowledge of all things? [6:103] Such is Allah, your Lord. There is no god but He, the creator of all things; so worship Him. and He is the Guardian over everything. [6:104] Eyes cannot reach Him but He reaches the eyes. And He is the incomprehensible, the All-Aware [6:105] Proofs have indeed come to you from your Lord; so whoever sees, it is for His own good; and whoever becomes blind, it is to his own loss. And I am not a guardian over you. [6:106] And thus do We explain the Signs in various ways that the truth may become established and that they may say, 'Thou hast read out what thou hast learnt' and that We may explain it to a people who have no knowledge.” unquote
*Jinn- the hidden creatures.
God is perceived through his attributes, his manifestations and signs spread all over the universe and through Revelations to the perfect men called prophets/messengers and the Revealed Books to the mankind at his own discretion, this is how he comes near our eyes so we can see him with the inner eyes of heart and mind, yet the physical eyes cannot reach Him, since our eyes can see things physical and cannot see things non-material.
This is in short what we know of God from Quran, and Quran is not lacking anything which is essential for man to know about him and God has not mentioned it in Quran.
This argument from the source of Quran has been mentioned by Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad originally and I have mentioned it in my own words for the benefit of the members of this forum.
Thanks

Back