Babylon the great

mee

Interfaith Forums
Reaction score
THE book of Revelation contains expressions that are not to be understood literally. (Revelation 1:1) For example, it mentions a woman with the name "Babylon the Great" written on her forehead. This woman is said to be sitting on "crowds and nations." (Revelation 17:1, 5, 15) Since no literal woman could do this, Babylon the Great must be symbolic. So, what does this symbolic harlot represent?

At Revelation 17:18, the same figurative woman is described as "the great city that has a kingdom over the kings of the earth." The term "city" indicates an organized group of people. Since this "great city" has control over "the kings of the earth," the woman named Babylon the Great must be an influential organization that is international in scope. It can rightly be called a world empire. What kind of empire? A religious one. Notice how some related passages in the book of Revelation lead us to this conclusion.
An empire can be political, commercial, or religious. The woman named Babylon the Great is not a political empire because God’s Word states that "the kings of the earth," or the political elements of this world, "committed fornication" with her. Her fornication refers to the alliances she has made with the rulers of this earth and explains why she is called "the great harlot."—Revelation 17:1, 2; James 4:4.
Babylon the Great cannot be a commercial empire because the "merchants of the earth," representing the commercial elements, will be mourning her at the time of her destruction. In fact, both kings and merchants are described as looking at Babylon the Great from "a distance." (Revelation 18:3, 9, 10, 15-17) Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that Babylon the Great is, not a political or a commercial empire, but a religious one.

The religious identity of Babylon the Great is further confirmed by the statement that she misleads all the nations by means of her "spiritistic practice." (Revelation 18:23) Since all forms of spiritism are demon-inspired, it is not surprising that the Bible calls Babylon the Great "a dwelling place of demons." (Revelation 18:2; Deuteronomy 18:10-12) This empire is also described as being actively opposed to true religion, persecuting "prophets" and "holy ones." (Revelation 18:24) In fact, Babylon the Great has such deep hatred for true religion that she violently persecutes and even murders "the witnesses of Jesus." (Revelation 17:6) Hence, this woman named Babylon the Great clearly represents the world empire of false religion, which includes all religions that stand in opposition to Jehovah God. so no wonder that Jehovah tells his people to get out of babylon the great, he is going to get rid of her for good , and he wants to make sure that his people are not part of her when she is going down in a big way. so the question is....... have we got out of her?....... or are we still attached to her in some way
And a strong angel lifted up a stone like a great millstone and hurled it into the sea, saying: ‘Thus with a swift pitch will Babylon the great city be hurled down, and she will never be found again.’" (Revelation 18:21) yes it seems she will go down and never be raised again and it will be Gods thoughts that will do this
And the ten horns that you saw, and the wild beast, these will hate the harlot and will make her devastated and naked, and will eat up her fleshy parts and will completely burn her with fire. For God put [it] into their hearts to carry out his thought, even to carry out [their] one thought by giving their kingdom to the wild beast, until the words of God will have been accomplished. revelation 17;16-17 .................................................. the words of God always come true
so my word that goes forth from my mouth will prove to be. It will not return to me without results, but it will certainly do that in which I have delighted, and it will have certain success in that for which I have sent it. Isaiah 55;11 yes i think we are living in a time where bible prophecy is well along , and the book of revelation becomes clearer and clearer

mee said:
THE book of Revelation contains expressions that are not to be understood literally. (Revelation 1:1) For example, it mentions a woman with the name "Babylon the Great" written on her forehead. This woman is said to be sitting on "crowds and nations." (Revelation 17:1, 5, 15) Since no literal woman could do this, Babylon the Great must be symbolic. So, what does this symbolic harlot represent?

At Revelation 17:18, the same figurative woman is described as "the great city that has a kingdom over the kings of the earth." The term "city" indicates an organized group of people. Since this "great city" has control over "the kings of the earth," the woman named Babylon the Great must be an influential organization that is international in scope. It can rightly be called a world empire. What kind of empire? A religious one. Notice how some related passages in the book of Revelation lead us to this conclusion.
An empire can be political, commercial, or religious. The woman named Babylon the Great is not a political empire because God’s Word states that "the kings of the earth," or the political elements of this world, "committed fornication" with her. Her fornication refers to the alliances she has made with the rulers of this earth and explains why she is called "the great harlot."—Revelation 17:1, 2; James 4:4.
Babylon the Great cannot be a commercial empire because the "merchants of the earth," representing the commercial elements, will be mourning her at the time of her destruction. In fact, both kings and merchants are described as looking at Babylon the Great from "a distance." (Revelation 18:3, 9, 10, 15-17) Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that Babylon the Great is, not a political or a commercial empire, but a religious one.

The religious identity of Babylon the Great is further confirmed by the statement that she misleads all the nations by means of her "spiritistic practice." (Revelation 18:23) Since all forms of spiritism are demon-inspired, it is not surprising that the Bible calls Babylon the Great "a dwelling place of demons." (Revelation 18:2; Deuteronomy 18:10-12) This empire is also described as being actively opposed to true religion, persecuting "prophets" and "holy ones." (Revelation 18:24) In fact, Babylon the Great has such deep hatred for true religion that she violently persecutes and even murders "the witnesses of Jesus." (Revelation 17:6) Hence, this woman named Babylon the Great clearly represents the world empire of false religion, which includes all religions that stand in opposition to Jehovah God. so no wonder that Jehovah tells his people to get out of babylon the great, he is going to get rid of her for good , and he wants to make sure that his people are not part of her when she is going down in a big way. so the question is....... have we got out of her?....... or are we still attached to her in some way
And a strong angel lifted up a stone like a great millstone and hurled it into the sea, saying: ‘Thus with a swift pitch will Babylon the great city be hurled down, and she will never be found again.’" (Revelation 18:21) yes it seems she will go down and never be raised again and it will be Gods thoughts that will do this
And the ten horns that you saw, and the wild beast, these will hate the harlot and will make her devastated and naked, and will eat up her fleshy parts and will completely burn her with fire. For God put [it] into their hearts to carry out his thought, even to carry out [their] one thought by giving their kingdom to the wild beast, until the words of God will have been accomplished. revelation 17;16-17 .................................................. the words of God always come true
so my word that goes forth from my mouth will prove to be. It will not return to me without results, but it will certainly do that in which I have delighted, and it will have certain success in that for which I have sent it. Isaiah 55;11 yes i think we are living in a time where bible prophecy is well along , and the book of revelation becomes clearer and clearer

Rome, New York, and Constantinoble. In today's world.

Quahom1 said:
Rome, New York, and Constantinoble. In today's world.
who would you think are the ten horns?
the nations will use the scarlet-colored wild beast, the United Nations, in destroying Babylon the Great
Political governments of this earth will turn violently upon Babylon the Great.

mee said:
who would you think are the ten horns?
the nations will use the scarlet-colored wild beast, the United Nations, in destroying Babylon the Great
Political governments of this earth will turn violently upon Babylon the Great.

Some argue they might represent the 10 permanent nations of the European Union, others argue they represent the 10 kingdoms that have reigned through out history. The United Nations' colors are Blue and White. If Rome were Babylon the Great, then it is not the secular Rome but some state the Religious Rome (which doesn't work because the Vatican is not part of Rome but a nation state all its own). If New York is Babylon the Great, then destroying it wouldn't work either. The United States has enough redundancy in its business centers to re-route to other centers what New York once carried out (especially in light of 9/11). Babylon the Great may not have even developed yet. It could literally be a variant of the original Babylon...

Hard to tell with so many perspectives and speculative thoughts.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Babylon the Great may not have even developed yet. It could literally be a variant of the original Babylon...

Hard to tell with so many perspectives and speculative thoughts.

v/r

Q

The designation "Babylon" for the false religions of the world is appropriate, since it was in ancient Babylon that false religion got its start. From there it spread to the four corners of the earth. (Genesis 11:1-9) Religious doctrines that originated in Babylon, such as the immortality of the soul, hellfire, and the worship of triune gods, are shared by virtually all religions, so being false religion would make sense to me.
Modern-day religions have perpetuated many of ancient Babylon’s doctrines. so,the world empire of false religion is well named Babylon the Great. (Revelation 17:5) i think babylon the great is already here , and i think she has already fallen
(Revelation 14:8; 18:2)
That fall, however, was just a precursor to the ultimate destruction of false religion.
many true christians haveshook off the religious influence of Christendom, a dominant part of Babylon the Great. Since then Christendom has lost considerable influence in many lands where it was formerly strong. yes i do believe that a person can be a christian and not be a part of the mainstream known as christendom ,they have shook off these babylonish teachings, and stick to true christianity that christ taught. so she (babylon the great) no longer has any power over true christians

Back